Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Festive starter ideas (quite fussy guests content)
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Please help me! I need ideas for Christmas dinner starters that do not involve any of the following:

Goat’s cheese
    Peppers
    Asparagus
    Salmon
    Prawns
    Soup
    Mushrooms
    Pasta
    Windmills.

Thanks in advance for some nice light and tasty ideas.

MrBlond
    Free Member

‘Meat fruit’, a lovely Christmas surprise for any vegetarians…

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/dec/02/heston-blumenthal-christmas-canapes-meat

bazzer
    Free Member

I love the fact that someone has “soup” on their list of things they don’t like.

Not Chicken soup
    Not Tomato soup

all soup 🙂

MrBlond
    Free Member

Actually, joking aside, that’s a tough call.

Any other cheeses out (Stilton obviously v. Christmassy)

Parma ham? etc

woody2000

Anyone that fussy will whinge and moan, whatever you put in front of them DS. Give ’em nowt, that’ll learn ’em 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

Baked Camembert

lunge

Seared scallops with black pudding and a pea puree?
    Baby leeks served on a potato rosti with a mustard cream and a poached egg? (I can give you an easy recipe for this if you need)
    Mozarella with sundried tomato’s and italian meats?

theteaboy
    Free Member

Tricolore?

Slices of mozzarella, tomato and basil leaves.

With Parma ham is even better.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fussy = Rude in my book

If I came round to yours for dinner and you put something in front of that I didn’t like, I’d eat it, smile and say it was lovely, but politely refuse if you offered me seconds.

The only time I’ve not done this was after being given rice pudding made with sour milk. I took one spoonful, somehow swallowed it without being sick, then sat and waited for everyone else to realise it was shockingly awful, agreed, and left the rest.

The only real exception is vegitarians, but you should know who they are, or ask to make themselves known 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Antipasto? A load of help yourself nibbles – the fussy buggers can pick the bits they like

theprawn
    Free Member

just skip the starter?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Starter? For Christmas lunch?

Must be a southern thing.

thepurist

I’m doing some twice baked roqeufort souffles – you can make them on xmas eve then just whack em back in the oven before serving.

BTW – how do you normally cook your Windmills?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Pasta
    Windmills

Perfect starter!

God I love Google.

iDave
    Free Member

Can’t they just FoodTFU?

What about little stacks of scallops/stilton/chorizo?

Drac

Alcohol.

If they’re that fussy then tough, serve a few dishes if they don’t like them they can have bread sticks.

mefty
    Free Member

Baked Vacherin Mont d’Or with garlic and rosemary is seasonal, serve with crusty bread.

Parma or other dry cured ham with fresh figs.

Cougar

Melon.

RustyMac

ebygomm – Member
    Baked Camembert

With cranberry jelly and crunchy bread yum yum yum yum yum

alternatively pint them in the direction of the wine and tell them to get stuck in.

Stoner
    Free Member

I often do two starters: seared scallops with a sweet chilli dressing, followed by Carpaccio of beef fillet w parmesan shavings.

Bought the ingredients thir morning in fact. Will have one on xmas eve w roast lamb, the other xmas day with salmon en croute.

yetim
    Free Member

whats your recipe for twice baked roqeufort souffles? would it work with shorpshire blue.

Woody
    Free Member

I want to go to lunge’s house – if the starters sound that good, the rest must be sensational 😉

How about a decent pâté (mackerel would be good considering all the meat to follow) with a simple rocket salad and tomato chutney for a bit of colour. Recipe HERE

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Parma ham with melon – as Michel Junior would say – deeeeeeelicious.

I did this a while ago and to make it look more interesting I did 2 types of melon (canteloup and galia – orange and green – cut into segments) with a similar sized slice of mango with a few salad leaves and a bit of slightly sweet chilli/mango dressing.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

If they/you are gluttons – how about eggs benedict? That’s what we generally have on Christmas morning, but could be a starter for fatties.

ojom
    Free Member

Lumpy pate or a terrine with oatcakes and some pickled winter veg.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

They won’t like this because it has strong flavours, but how about a salad of warm grilled halloumi, beetroot and watercress with a caper dressing – V yummy and can be done delicately.

lunge

Woody, I’m one of these sad people who loves cooking and giving out recipes. I am presently writing the menu for one of the guys in the office to help him seduce his new girlfriend.

ton

smoked mackeral mouse and smoked salmon with prawns at my house.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Serve everyone their own box of delights from Graze.com

No washing up either

thepurist

@yetim – don’t know – never had shropshire blue! Drop me a mail (in profile) and I’ll send the recipe to you if you like.

enfht
    Free Member

Shit on toast. It’s truly scrumptious.

willard

Starter? You mean something that’s not a Gin & Tonic? How bizarre

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Fondue!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

It’s your meal, your cooking it, just serve what you want!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Thanks kids.

I’m gonna go with Woody’s mackeral pate / chutney combo. If they don’t like it, they can do one!

yetim
    Free Member

:oops:sorry, @thepurist i have no idea how to send you mail, could you explain?

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

thepurist (at) bigfoot (dot) com

Click on his name, innit

rob
    Free Member

Dairylea cheese triangles 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Festive starter ideas (quite fussy guests content)’ is closed to new replies.