Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ferry prices for Morzine trip next year?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Looking to organise a trip to Morzine next summer so started a spreadsheet (my financial controller likes them) to get an idea of the costs.
    Looking at ferries, I can’t seem to go as far forward as next year top get a price.
    Anyone have an idea of what it might cost? Tried getting a quote for this year but guessing they may be inflated.

garage-dweller

What crossing?

It’s been ten years since I went in August but I think it was about £150 from Dover, booked early. It WILL have gone up I expect!

nickjb
    Free Member

They won’t be inflated much. There is far more variance for different times of day and prime slots like Friday evening. I’d just pick an average. Also look at the tunnel. Very cheap if you have clubcard points.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my parents book December for the summer. it is cheap to book as soon as they are available.

BoardinBob

I tend to leave Dover circa 8am and on the return leave Calais around 8pm. typically £150 for that option, maybe cheaper if you book earlier. that’s for a van/car under 1.8m

If you travel at really off peak times you could do it for less than £100

This year I’m getting the tunnel. With clubcarc vouchers on a 2for1 basis I got a return for £70 for my usual journey times

stevied
    Free Member

What crossing?

Probably from Portsmouth – Le Harve but open to other routes. Will be travelling from Worcs..

nickjb
    Free Member

With clubcarc vouchers on a 2for1 basis

Its 3 for 1

Portsmouth – Le Harve is a lot more expensive. Its a nice crossing if you are coming from the south west as it cuts out some rubbish driving on the UK side though. Well worth it if you are heading for Western France. For the Alps it is not really worth it IMO, almost the same time once in france with far less flexible timings. Its nice to know that if you miss the ferry there is another one in an hour or so when going via Calais

mrmo
    Free Member

this year i spent £50 + tesco vouchers for the tunnel, something to think about. was £150 cash i think, which is the price i paid a couple of years ago for dover dunkirk

solamanda
    Free Member

+1 for using tesco Vouchers to by a tunnel crossing, they do it as 3 to 1 so it’s really good value.

nickdavies

Who knows… tunnel was £350 this year for 1st July so I’ve booked ferry at £200. Was booked in about march.

I’ve paid as low as about £80 return on the ferry years ago but normally it’s around £150-£200. Tunnel usually similar.

scud
    Free Member

We found going from the commercial ports was cheapest, from memory Felixstowe to Dieppe was about £90 return 2 years ago. (in fact just found £48 return next weekend).

If it is a large group going and taking own bikes, we found the cheapest way was for most of the group to fly without bikes down to Geneva and then two people travel down in my van with all the bikes.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The trick is to get in early – I’ve bought 8am crossing in July with DFDS for £80 return that came with £20’s worth of food and drink vouchers because I booked or more months in advance. Dover to Dunkirk which is maybe 15 mins longer drive to Morzine than Calais but doesn’t have half the problems at the border (is that resolved now?).

This year, which heartbreakingly I’ve had to pull out of, my Mates are leaving on Friday morning on the tunnel, it was £120

Again IME the only crossing worthwhile is Dover Calis/Dunkirk even if you have a closer port to your home the ferry moves so slowly and costs so much more than it’s quicker and cheaper to just motor down to Dover, especially when you consider the ‘other side’ Morzine is tucked down the bottom right corner almost, all the other ports are further away.

matt_outandabout

Booked December 6th this year for Galaxy with towbar rack and 5 of us.
    – outward July 1st on Tunnel – £42 on Tesco points
    – return July 14th on DFDS – £46 on Tesco points

That makes our channel crossings free. 8)

atlaz
    Free Member

Tunnel, if booked early morning/late night and a long time in advance, is usually pretty cheap and is fast, something you want if you’re doing that dull run down to the south of France.

stevied
    Free Member

I guess you have to shop @ Tesco to get the points?

matt_outandabout

@steveid – yes, however being Dunblane it is either Tesco or M&S, and I’m not posh.

nickjb
    Free Member

Yep shop at tesco and esso for points. Even more with a tesco credit card and those vouchers they post you which usually go straight in the bin. Double points at Evans and treble on Eurotunnel makes it worth doing.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ferry prices for Morzine trip next year?’ is closed to new replies.