Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • FENSA, how important?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Dropped a bollock a few years back. US d a friend of a friend to fit some doors back in 2006. The doors have been fine, no problem there and he did work for a well known double glazing company.

However, looking to sell and wondering if the lack of a fensa cert will be an issue. Tried contacting the local authority building control people but the reply isn’t going to win any clear English awards.

So, anyone actually know what the deal is?

jam-bo

When the solicitor asks. Shrug shoulders and say meh.

renton
    Free Member

Just pretend they were fitted ages ago or get an indemnity policy from solicitors

stumpy01

Indemnity insurance will cover it, I think.

Can’t remember the details, but we had to do similar when we moved house as there was no details on the windows. Never realised we needed any certificate or info about them (they were in the house when we originally moved in) but the solicitor recommended we took out indemnity insurance to cover it, just in case. Think it cost about £12.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s good news. Thanks folks.

allthepies
    Free Member

Do the insurance thing. The “fitted ages ago, shrug shoulders” approach may fail when the surveyor points out the date stamp mark on the frames.

nickjb
    Free Member

The “fitted ages ago, shrug shoulders” approach may fail when the surveyor points out the date stamp mark on the frames.

Assuming he can read it as he drives past the house.

sandwicheater

As said, shrug shoulders and play dumb. If you do need an indemnity policy, pm me (shameless plug) as I can sort it for you.

midlifecrashes

What sort of useful comeback do you think you’d have from FENSA on a 2006 installation anyway? Only people gaining here are insurance companies, solicitors and surveyors chasing paperwork that won’t mean a hill of beans in the real world. Buyers and sellers losing out.

firestarter
    Free Member

I said fitted ages ago a month or two back with my brand new windows and doors. Surveyor just said oh right and laughed

Onzadog
    Free Member

True, by doesn’t that sum up the whole housing market in England?

core

It will be a problem, conveyancing solicitors will more than likely pick it up, and they will use something as petty as that to hold up the sale.

I’ve known a single window fitted 15 years ago to cause these issues.

You could get an indemity, not sure what it would cost?

BUT for around £150 your local authority building control department could certify it retrospectively. You will need to submit a regularisation application.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Why couldn’t local building control tell me that when we called them!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Indemnity insurance is about £20 if needed, I wouldn’t worry about it and haven’t as I’ve fitted all my own.

midlifecrashes

It will be a problem, conveyancing solicitors will more than likely pick it up, and they will use something as petty as that to hold up the sale.

Then you’re either using the wrong people, or giving them the wrong instructions.

spooky_b329

We had to get an indemnity policy, we had a FENSA cert but they claimed we needed building regs as we’d created a door from a window and blocked up another door.

However, one way to stuff yourself is for you or the buyer to raise the issue with building control to find out if its legit, once they have been made aware, an indemnity policy becomes void (or ours would have).

The policy cost a few quid to satisfy our buyers. We also had to stump up for one on the place we were buying as the Convenants were missing and our seller wouldn’t pay.

chakaping
    Free Member

We fitted our own and paid a very small sum for indemnity insurance when we sold.

I wouldn’t worry as much as some on here seen to suggest you need to.

Sui
    Free Member

Fensa the organisation run by cowboys for cowboys…. The whole industry has got sucked into thinking you must use FENSA installers, it’s bollix. I looked at this as a potential issue when doing my house up, in the end I decided if someone wants to buy it then they can like it or lump it. There is no legal requirement to use FENSA and building control only need to be involved at the point of structural alterations, not replacement.

enduroforever
    Free Member

Really wouldn’t worry about it. Dates are usually stamped on the spacer bar of the glass, this only proves the age of the glass and not the frame. People have glass replaced all the time it’s not going to cause you any hassle

garage-dweller

Since April 2002 all replacement windows and doors are subject to building regs or should be installed by someone who is an approved competent person.

Source planningportal.gov.uk

10 year old windows with missing cert wouldn’t unduly worry me if I were buying.

If they were newer and at greater risk of enforcement action I would be looking at an indemnity or small price chip on the deal to cover my risk.

lodious
    Free Member

Fensa the organisation run by cowboys for cowboys

Totally agree with this…the FENSA ‘guarantee’ is pretty much worthless.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It never bothered me when we had them fitted but we’re just trying to pre-empt what people might quibble over. Considering the 80s Ali framed sliding flimsy pos doors that were in before, I think anyone would be made to question it…but people are mad.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    My other half is going through this at the minute for windows fitted in 2002.
    She logged onto FENSA website and put address details in.
    Her certificates came onto the screen and she was able to order a copy for 10+vat.
    Takes 7-10 days to arrive
    Cheers
    Steve

core

To clear a few things up, FENSA aren’t the only competent persons scheme you can use for replacement windows and doors, others are available.

Also, your local authority can, and should accept an application for replacement windows and doors, which you need to submit prior to commencing works, they will then inspect the works as with any other building regulations application, and issue a completion certificate all being well, this has exactly the same legal standing in terms of demonstrating compliance as a competent persons certificate, or regularisation certificate.

Windows and doors are classed as ‘controlled services or fittings’, hence their replacement requires building regulations. The only thing you can do legally without notification or using a competent person is replace panes of glass, and repair casements/frames/doors.

Competent persons schemes are only valid where the replacement of windows or doors involves No alteration to the existing opening. Once you touch the wall/lintel it’s a building regs application only job.

I don’t use the wrong people, I work in building control, and have to regularise windows and doors every week because house sales are being held up by lack of a certificate.

ski
    Free Member

I just sanded of the visible date stamps 😉

squirrelking
    Free Member

Windows and doors

I thought it was only doors above a certain % of glazed area that were controlled?

Also, I’d be surprised of anyone really got that far into the details as to start kicking off about it, my local planning dept couldn’t have given two hoots about the cowboy extension built out back (no building control or planning) that was literally hanging off the back of the house. I was practically pleading with them to issue a rectification order (to cash in indemnity) but to no avail.

spooky_b329

Fatgit – nice tip, they didn’t pick up on missing certs at our current place but there are two previous ones on that website plus some doors we had done a couple of months ago 🙂

mick_r

Core – what is the score with garage windows? Ours is attached to the house but with no interconnecting door so I guess would be classed as non-habitable space (1960s house so single skin external garage walls and no dpc under concrete floor). Had it replaced a few weeks back and wondering if I need to chase up a cert?

robdob
    Free Member

We are selling our house. I actually made my own window for the cellar – I assume I am FENSA. 😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘FENSA, how important?’ is closed to new replies.