Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fencecare….rain and frustration content
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Weather forecast was sunny/cloudy early this morning so at 0700 i go out and creosote the fence, low and behold 2 hours after i finish it starts raining and is now stair rodding.

I am beside myself with anger/frustration, the weather for my area says 24 degrees sunny with a chance of rain FFS where are they getting that from. Its pelting down.

Anyhow does anyone know how creosote reacts after approx 2-3 hours drying then being rained on? Is it ruined or will it wash off etc?.

🙁

IanMunro
    Free Member

Where do you live?
    Forecast was for heavy rain at 1pm in Herts and it got here pretty much bang on.

richmars

Can’t answer your question, but why do you need to creosote it? Didn’t it come treated?

ebygomm
    Free Member

but why do you need to creosote it? Didn’t it come treated?

And creosote is banned…

allthepies
    Free Member

Rain was forecast in S. England and sure enough it arrived.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Sorry Creosote substitute Wickes Creocote. Creosote isn’t banned its only available to trade users and agricultural users.

Guess i was short sighted on the forecast. I am in Beds .

Feel like i have wasted time, effort and money now 🙁

richmars

I’m in Cambs and was expected rain earlier, but has just started.
    I take the easy (lazy) option with fences, concrete posts. I’ve learn’t the hard way that it’s the posts that rot, which causes the panels to fail. Stop the post rotting=’overlasting’ panels (15 years with not a drop of anything).
    That’s what I think anyway.

flip
    Free Member

I’m sure it’ll be fine it dries very quickly these days, may just have a slight mottled effect?

CaptJon
    Free Member

If you looked at the forecast first thing in the morning it was probably based on yesterday’s data, not the most upto date overnight stuff.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Well the suns out, the fence is dry and it has not affected the finish at all. To be fair i am surprised by that but relieved, afternoon monk on is officially over 🙂

flip
    Free Member

Jolly good i can settle now too 😉

footflaps

I don’t get why people treat fences – they panels don’t rot, just the posts in the ground – my garden fences are in pristine condition after 10 years and have never been treated with anything.

supertramp
    Free Member

I put up a lot of fences, the trade is moving away from concrete to pressure treated timber posts. Most come with a 10 or 15 year guarantee! Use pressure treated panels too and there is no need to paint but they do weather to a shade of pale grey. So if you want a nice colour your still going to have to paint them.

I have been in the same situation, spent all morning walloping paint on a massive fence (fence life) then watched it all wash off in the rain!

if at first you don’t succeed . . . .

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fencecare….rain and frustration content’ is closed to new replies.