Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fence posts in tarmac drive – what and how?
  • newrobdob
    Free Member

Have a new house with a long drive which I want to close the back end of. So I need a fence about 5m long with a small gate in it. Only want it max 5ft high, maybe 4 ft.

I like the idea of concrete posts but I don’t like fence panels – would prefer to make my own fence but don’t want rotting fence posts I have to dig out of the drive in a few years time.

Don’t want to use the metal spikes or bolt down bases as they are ugly and crap.

Any idea?

wwaswas

get a blacksmith to make a fence up that you can just bolt to the drive?

Are you looking for something that can’t be seen through or just a barrier?

newrobdob
    Free Member

Sorry, needs to be non see through. I suppose it doesn’t need to be solid so hit and miss boards are ok.

wwaswas

These look reasonable and available in a range of finishes?

http://www.firstfence.co.uk/bolt-down-palisade-post-to-suit-1-8m-palisade-fence?gclid=CIq51pDC-9ICFRI8Gwod5BYGJQ

If you ‘face’ the side visible from the drive they’d be fairly invisible?

You’d obviously need to fix your boards etc to them!

qwerty
    Free Member

Recessed concrete posts and then coach bolt your cant rails to them and add overlap.these bad boys weighed a ton!!! These are 6′, you’ll have to search around for shorter or cut some down. The only part which may be prone to rot is the 6″ gravel board as its in contact with the ground.

[/url]IMAG1599 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

Mine went 2’6″ into the ground. Survive a nuclear blast. Mine were reasonably priced. The builders yard delivery guy wasn’t happy lifting them.

newrobdob
    Free Member

They look ok don’t they? And at least one side you can’t see the post which is nice.

How much were the posts?

Any idea how you’d fix a gate to one?

joat

You can use them as gate posts, just bolt a piece of timber down the side and screw the hinge hooks into them.

andyl
    Free Member

recycled plastic posts?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fence posts in tarmac drive – what and how?’ is closed to new replies.