Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Female Sci-fi Authors
  • andyfla
    Free Member

Looking through my kindle and bookshelves I realised I have virtually no female authors – any good recommendations ?
    Usual reads are Peter Hamilton, Neil Asher and that sort of thing

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Anne McCaffrey

Colin-T

For starters I’ll give you
    Ursula K Leguin. Should be in every SF fans library. Left hand of Darkness is a stone cold classic but her other works Lathe of Heaven etc are also excellent.

mogrim

footflaps +1, surely the greatest?

Margaret Atwood (though to my shame I’ve not actually read any of her work)

Colin-T

Andre Norton and C. J. Cherryh also worth checking out.

mogrim

Mr Woppit – Member
    Anne McCaffrey

I’m not sure I’d call her “good” – while the dragon stuff is fairly entertaining it’s pretty light-weight and cheesy…

z1ppy

Read Ursula K Leguin “the lathe of heaven” and won’t be bothering with any more.
    Margaret Atwood’s “Handmaid’s tale” looks so depressing I gave that a miss.
    Anne McCaffrey – Dragon series is as above – “fairly entertaining it’s pretty light-weight”

If you after more modern recommendations:
    Ilsa J. Bick: Ashes trilogy though “young adult” seems pretty good (not got the 3rd book yet)

Wasn’t particularly taken by Ann Leckie’s “Ancillary Justice”, but it wasn’t a bad book either.

klumpy
    Free Member

C J Cherryh has written some outstanding sci fi, the Company Wars series is gritty politics and warfare from the P.O.V. of dockers, miners, and pilots. The Faded Sun series is good too.

Elizabeth Moon wrote a good series about a “disgraced” officer turned merchant captain.

Cherie Priest has written some entertaining Steam Punk.

Trudi Canavan wrote a nice series about sorcerers – don’t be put off by her calling them magicians, it’s not about conjuring at working men’s clubs.

PJM1974
    Free Member

D.C. Fontana

Garry_Lager

Le Guin’s classic stuff pre-1980 is exceptional, landmark work. Another female pioneer of SF is James Tiptree Jr – pen name of Alice Sheldon. Excelled in the short story format.

CJ Cherryh also great, as mentioned – very people driven stories that could be set in any genre really.

Julian May (a woman) has put out some good page turners – along the lines of Anne McAffrey. Lightweight but fun to read.

Connie Willis is well regarded, wins a lot of awards, but I find her stuff dull myself.

mogrim

Trudi Canavan wrote a nice series about sorcerers

Again, lightweight but entertaining – in fact I think the first trilogy was aimed at the “young adult” market. (Nothing wrong with that, of course, just something to be aware of).

Another fantasy suggestion: Robin Hobb, definitely adult fiction.

Big list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Women_science_fiction_and_fantasy_writers

beanum

Julian May

There’s the 4-part Saga of the Exiles – then the related books:
    Intervention
    Jack the Bodiless
    Diamond Mask
    Magnificat

Saccades
    Free Member

Good recommendations… Avoid Robin Hobb.

TPTcruiser

Ann Leckie is a rising star. Winning awards.
    Lauren Beukes – Zoo City is desperate social commentary.

andyfla
    Free Member

Cheers All, I have now downloaded a selection to expand my horizons

ThePinkster

OK, I may be a bit controversial here but isn’t the quality of the writing more important than the sex of the writer?

I’ve never even considered whether the author was male or female when reading a book before now…

WackoAK
    Free Member

Avoid Robin Hobb.

Really? Was just about to get the Assassin’s Apprentice as it’s free on Kindle just now.

mogrim

Really? Was just about to get the Assassin’s Apprentice as it’s free on Kindle just now.

I thought it was OK, certainly not something I’d actively avoid.

mogrim

OK, I may be a bit controversial here but isn’t the quality of the writing more important than the sex of the writer?

Hard to tell if you’ve never actually read any books by female authors, though! There might be a difference, there might not.

andyfla
    Free Member

In a word, yes, but ….

I was trying to expand my horizons and felt that as most of the authors that I followed are the well know ones that routinely get touted around – hence why I know them and have read them – are male, it would a good way to find out more that I liked – i will certainly not read more than one of theirs if I don’t like them, but good to spread your wings

mogrim

I was trying to expand my horizons and felt that as most of the authors that I followed are the well know ones that routinely get touted around

Apart from the female authors, another good tactic is to find one of the many “top 100 SF books” type lists, and read your way through it.

z1ppy

I did just that ^ & got lots of other books by the authors I liked from the 100, was entertained by stuff I didn’t expect to be, and was firmly put off other authors…. and totally left baffled by a couple of the books

Anyways off to try CJ Cherryh, as I love a new author (to me) recommendation

PS: While looking for the name of a female author I’d read, it turns out she was a man, and I always forget Julian May was a woman. So really it doesn’t matter to me.

Northwind

Mary Gentle… Kind of in that weird no man’s land between fantasy and sf, but I loved Ash.

emsz
    Free Member

Mary Gentle wrote one of my all time fab books : the Golden Witchbreed

Read it

mogrim

and totally left baffled by a couple of the books

Sounds interesting – which ones?

john_drummer
    Free Member

+1 Golden Witchbreed. Must try find a new copy of that

z1ppy

Off-hand Mogrim:
    Flatland by Edwin Abbott Abbott
    It’s not very often I just give up on a book, I’ll read books just to finish them, but this one just wasn’t for me.

Valis by Philip K. Dick, was just bizarre

ChrisL

I too am a Mary Gentle fan, though it’s Rats & Gargoyles and Ash that really hit the spot for me.

I am currently enjoying Ann Leckie’s Ancillary Justice.

Lifer
    Free Member

I’m reading Valis at the moment, been consuming Dick at an alarming rate recently!

Valis is definitely at the weirdest end of his scale, but I’m loving it, in the home straight now and everything’s coming together beautifully.

andyfla
    Free Member

Flatland

– Great book, really enjoyed it

66deg
    Free Member

been consuming Dick at an alarming rate recently!

Just couldn’t resist it could you. 😆

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Andre Norton, bit old school/dated but some lovely stories and concepts.

Sargasso of Space, Plague Ship, Post Marked the Stars and The Zero Stone are my favourites.

Garry_Lager

Another name not mentioned, and it’s a mighty one – Doris Lessing. Not too many Nobel Laureates have gotten involved with SF, but Doris went all the way in with her Canopus in Argus series. Briefing for a descent into Hell is another.

It’s difficult stuff tbh – a lot of spiritual and environmental themes that have dated quite badly (IMHO), but the writing hasn’t – it’s as timeless and weighty as you’d expect. Makes for a strange mix – certainly a unique voice in SF.

Lifer
    Free Member

66deg – Member
    Just couldn’t resist it could you.

😀

It’s best pulled out when having serious discussions about books.

I need help.

IdleJon

Garry_Lager – Member

Julian May (a woman) has put out some good page turners – along the lines of Anne McAffrey. Lightweight but fun to read.

Funnily enough I read her first books back in the 80s and assumed she was a woman. (Based on the style of writing I think). Picked up one in a bookshop recently, looked at the name and wondered why I had thought he was a she. Now I’m told she is actually a he and I was correct in the first place. Am confused but vindicated! 🙂

CountZero

Elizabeth Bear
    Marion Zimmer Bradley
    Barbara Hambley
    Kate Griffin
    Andre Alice Norton
    Most of those writers are predominantly fantasy, but nothing wrong with that if it’s harder edged, none of your rainbow unicorns and fey, pointy-eared elves!
    Kate Griffin has done some great Young Adult stuff as Catherine Webb, which has a flavour of Roger Zeleazny, and is also writing more SF-type stuff, not unlike Neil Gaiman, as Clair North

IanMunro
    Free Member

Another vote for Margaret Atwood.
    “Oryx and Crake” and the “Year of the Flood” are great for a prediction of the very near future.

Russell96

I’ll add Linda Nagata to the list along with Jen Foehner Wells.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Female Sci-fi Authors’ is closed to new replies.