Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Female MTB riding flat winter shoes/boots
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

They don’t have to be MTB specific shoes/boots but the wife’s feet are getting very cold if the shoes (not bike specific) she’s using atm.

So, which non clip in flat women’s shoes/boots will keep here toes nice and warm this winter?

Links to where they are cheap would be a great help as well please.

Cheers

edlong
    Free Member

Apart from the “colourways”, is there any reason why shoes need to be female-specific? Physiologically speaking, there’s no difference between a man’s foot and a woman’s foot is there?

And for winter riding, whatever colour they start out, they’re pretty much going to be mud coloured within a very short space of time anyway…

scotroutes

If they don’t have to be MTB specific just get a good pair of softish walking boots and flat pedals. You could have a look in Decathlon at snowshoe boots too. They tend to be pretty well insulated.

ton

mrs ton has been using scarpa approach shoes this winter, and has not complained of cold feet so far.
    quite fancy some myself to be honest.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

would looking at different socks be a better bet? Also make sure her feet and shoes are warm when you start out, otherwise you’re stuffed. I get my muddy shoes out of the shed and I’m cold from the get-go.

Lester
    Free Member

try wolf wear muck out boots a size too big and thermal socks

legolam
    Free Member

I have a pair of Scott MTB shoes from Start Cycles that have done me well over the past two winters, but when it’s really cold and wet I use my goretex lined north face approach walking shoes with ski socks to keep warm AND dry.

MartynS

Gf is using some karrimor shoes from sports direct. Silk dock liners and some neoprene welly liners from amazon. Seems to be a winning combo!!

ebygomm
    Free Member

Apart from the “colourways”, is there any reason why shoes need to be female-specific?

Perhaps because a lot of men’s shoes don’t come in smaller sizes?

Winter boots are toasty warm 🙂

More seriously I just wear hiking boots/approach shoes with decent socks.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I’ll take a look around for her

Tracey

I have some Hitec gortex boots that have been resoled with 5-10 stelth soles that works quite well

ampthill

I just ride in walking boots and find this just fine

When my wife road she did as well. But I think she had toe clips

stumpy01

What sort of terrain? If not too rocky and you don’t do a lot of walking bits, then how about overshoes?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member

What sort of terrain? If not too rocky and you don’t do a lot of walking bits, then how about overshoes?

Nothing too technical, blue trails or long boring miles. Over shoes would rub under the soles on the flat pedals wouldn’t they, I know all on my over shoes have a strap underneath them so these wouldn’t last more than one or two rides.

Are there wrap around over shoes without a strap.

dan1980
    Free Member

Typically speaking, women’s feet are narrower for a given size, and have a lower instep height. They also have shorter ball to heel distance, but longer toes for the same size. They aren’t just scaled down versions of men’s feet.

I have size 8 feet which is pretty small for my 6ft 2″ height (You know what they say about small feet though… small shoes!). They’re very narrow too, and I find that men’s footwear rarely gives me a good fit and are quite “sloppy” around my foot and I have to really crank down the laces to get a secure fit. I actually prefer the fit of women’s specific approach shoes and hiking/mountaineering boots, but trying to find “manly” colours can be a challenge.

dantsw13

Try a goretex walking shoe with the INOV-8 mini Gaiter over the top to keep water/mud out. I picked up some Karimor Goretex shoes for £25 at Sports Direct.

fivespot
    Free Member

I use an old pair of Hi-Tech walking boots for winter riding, at least I think they were Hi-Tech, they have been covered in mud for 3 years. They keep my feet far warmer than my 5/10’s even when wet 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Female MTB riding flat winter shoes/boots’ is closed to new replies.