Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Fell from the top of the ugly tree, and hit every branch on the way down
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Suspect it’s a bucket load of fun, though!

Sauce.

shermer75
    Free Member

It is a bit PRST-1

epicsteve
    Free Member

That is truly awful.

fasthaggis

That is truly awful fantastic.

I would love a go on that. 😛

epicsteve
    Free Member

I can’t see why it has two waterbottles on it because surely that’s just designed to go to the shops and back?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not a fan of the lauf forks, nope not at all.
    They seem to be turning up on all sorts of nice bikes too, but that ^^ isn’t a particularly nice bike..

zippykona

I officially like that.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Why are the seat stays dropped like that? Looks stupid and can’t be very strong.

Weirdness just to be different I reckon rather than for any benefit.

user-removed
    Free Member

Straight up minging. There’s really no excuse for something like that.

tomhoward

Needs moar paperclip.

And an Ellsworth logo.

Suspect it’s a bucket load of fun, though

Very much this. Even more so with a proper fork…

Why are the seat stays dropped like that? Looks stupid and can’t be very strong.

Vertical compliance innit

munrobiker
    Free Member

Suspect it’s a bucket load of fun

What on earth gives you that impression, given it has silly handlebars that restrict movement on technical stuff, silly forks which are known to be crap, crap brakes, a jump on your top tube designed to intercept your genitals if you crash and a tiller where there ought to be a stem?

A rather poor tool for the job of bike touring, yes, but fun, no?

cp

Weirdness just to be different I reckon

Exactly what I was thinking. Looks all wrong!

spooky_b329

mmmm…gearbox bike!

However, that first image is actually quite a flattering angle, it looks much worse when you follow the link!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Weirdness just to be different I reckon rather than for any benefit.

It’s the sort of bike that will impress the non cyclist when you tell them how expensive/wonderful it is, with proper cyclists thinking/saying – what a pile of sh1te.

scaredypants

My fiver’s on that lauf fork snapping within 20 miles

epicsteve
    Free Member

A year’s mileage for a bike like that.

funkmasterp

Take off the bottles, silly fork and bars and I think it would look okay. Wouldn’t mind a ride on it.

scaredypants

I’m taking it back a bit as

However, that first image is actually quite a flattering angle, it looks much worse when you follow the link!

Not as slack as it looked ^ up there

mick_r

Dropped seat stays and a seat tube that sticks out a long way above the top tube often results in cracking, unless they’ve used a thick tube or some kind of sleeve.

nickdavies

Call me weird, but I really like that.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I like it!

Okay, not the comedy bars, I’d stick some proper ones ones but the rest is cool.

If I was ultra fussy I’d say it looks a wimpy around the headtube.

Looks exactly what I fancy at the moment, years of big agro FS bikes makes me fancy something like that.

tazzymtb

I own some truly freaky bikes, but that is flipping bogging, even by my niche attention whore ego chariot standards.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

‘kin L!
    That’s worse than any of John Climbers!
    😳

Speeder

Someone’s put a lot of love into developing that. It’s odd but I quite like it.

Even if the TT is bent the wrong way and putting the rear end loads into the middle of the seat tube the seat tube is a really bad idea. It’s a bit like the reverse of a classic ladies bike.

hols2
    Free Member

Loading it up with bags does help to disguise how ugly it is.

whitestone
    Free Member

Seat stays and top tube don’t do it for me.

Any of those moaning about the Jones bars actually ridden a bike with them?

I’ve had a very short ride on a bike (one of John Climber’s actually) with Lauf forks, way too short to properly test and fully form an opinion. Thinking about them for a current build but they aren’t something I’d put on a bike intended for bike parks or trail centres.

molgrips
    Free Member

The Lauf forks have a very specific niche. Everyone admits they aren’t good outside that, and are not a substitute for normal forks.

I’m very intrigued by the gearbox bike for adventure biking though. I’d buy one if it were a realistic option. I’ve long been interested in the idea of a maintenance-free bike.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m very intrigued by the gearbox bike for adventure biking though. I’d buy one if it were a realistic option. I’ve long been interested in the idea of a maintenance-free bike.

Is it really a good idea? Ok it might be less likely to go wrong but if it did then there would be little chance to get it fixed locally and it might also be difficult to bodge something.

cooie

Reminds me of this 😀 Gtech ebike

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok it might be less likely to go wrong but if it did then there would be little chance to get it fixed locally and it might also be difficult to bodge something.

That all depends on how likely it is to go wrong. If it’s bombproof, then no worries. You’d have the advantage of not caring about a muddy drivetrain.

epicsteve
    Free Member

That all depends on how likely it is to go wrong. If it’s bombproof, then no worries. You’d have the advantage of not caring about a muddy drivetrain.

Doubt the owners of that abomination would have to worry about a muddy drivetrain either, given it’ll never to further than the corner shop. It’s a statement bike rather than one designed for real use.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think so tbh. Doesn’t look like what non-cycling gear junkies expect a bike to look like.

bencooper
    Free Member

I always think bars like that would look better with a wicker basket attached.

ChrisL

The hunchback top tube is the worst bit for me. I liked that Lauf were thinking outside the conventional telescopic fork concept when they came up with their forks, so they count as interesting rather than ugly to me. I hadn’t followed them closely enough to know that they’d turned out to be poor and/or very limited in application.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I don’t think so tbh. Doesn’t look like what non-cycling gear junkies expect a bike to look like.

That just gives the idiot owner a chance to lecture them on how expensive and how wonderful the abomination is.

fasthaggis

Come on Ben,you know where Wicker looks best 😛

tops5
    Free Member

kin L!
    That’s worse than any of John Climbers!

Woa! You’ve crossed a line there 😆

robcolliver
    Free Member

Ok, so you all know I have a quirky bike and dress sense, but all this needs is ‘More Cowbell’ and I’m sure it will be a hit.

whitestone
    Free Member

Rob, how did you find the Laufs on the American Trail Race?

stewartc
    Free Member

It must be effective as Pierre absolutely smashed everyone else on the French Divide, yes I know its not about the bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Fell from the top of the ugly tree, and hit every branch on the way down’ is closed to new replies.