Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Feeling sorry for myself
  • eightyeight
    Free Member

So after breaking my arm last summer and missing about 4 months riding, I’ve just done the other arm even worse. Had loads of riding lined up over the next two months and now just feel incredibly down.

The pain doesn’t help, but it’s the mental element that’s worst.

Not looking for sympathy, though tips to keep me feeling too sorry for myself would be helpful.

bones
    Free Member

Can you go hiking? Maybe heavy squats? Set some goals, and take advantage of the predicament?

Hicksy
    Free Member

I’ve broken myself a few times and I always try and go for long walks as I find any type of exercise helps me through gloomy spells – it’s not as much fun riding, but really quiet enjoyable and is good for finding new trails for when you’re back on your bike! My best buddy broke his collar bone a few months ago and we’ve been going for a decent walks most weekends, often with a stop at a pub for lunch, which has been really nice.

He’s set himself a challenge of doing a 100km walk to keep himself motivated (an to help keep fitness and the weight off). We’ve got a 25 mile one planned for next week as “training”.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

brooess
    Free Member

I had a broken collarbone in 2007 which took 18 months to fix and def found it hard to keep my mood up.
    My physio could see this and she gave me a load of core strength exercises (an hour’s worth a day) to keep me feeling strong and occupied.
    I bought a home trainer and used to ride that when I wanted to ride – either a gentle spin in front of the TV or an interval session.
    Also, just going for walk does wonders for your mood, especially if you can get out into the woods or fields.
    Moodscope is a very good tool for keeping an eye on your mood too.
    It won’t be as bad as you fear, I suspect

jekkyl

Alcohol will aid the process O’ my brother.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Walking sounds good, Mrs 88 is always keen for a hike.

@jekkyl the beer is on ice!

nick1962
    Free Member

You can still knock one off, right? 😉

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Walking is very relaxing try to go somewhere you will not see too many MTBers that might not help.

duckers
    Free Member

Turbo in front of the TV and a couple of hours has passed without even knowing it.

jamcorse

+1 for turbo, makes you feel that you’re not losing fitness and you can pick up where you left off when you get back on the bike.

nickname
    Free Member

its ok mate, broke my elbow and collarbone last week. Know how you feel 🙁

On the plus side life was getting a bit boring and this presents a new challenge 😉

I’m also looking forward to my first proper scar after having a metal plate fitted 🙂

climbingkev
    Free Member

+1 turbo, although I wouldn’t say 2 hours pass without even knowing it! Currently stuck in a sling after a shoulder op, 3wks of 6 in a sling down and I might be able to get my arm above my head by Easter. Dogshit. So far I’ve subscribed to Trainerroad (really enjoying it and it’s great for pain relief!) uploaded loads of music to google play, started the exams for 3 ranks above where I am now (Might as well get ahead of the game whilst I have the time off work), bagged loads of shit for the charity shop, reading a few books, sorted my dropbox admin, loads of dog walking, entered
    Some sportives, changed energy/tinterweb suppliers and so on. Not cooked a meal, changed a nappy or picked up dog poo this year………BOOM!

eightyeight
    Free Member

Well meeting with the consultant tomorrow, so will probably rest completely for a good 2 weeks. Just got permission to put the turbo in the living room, so you know, silver lining and all that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Feeling sorry for myself’ is closed to new replies.