Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)
  • **** BMW drivers…………
  • renton
    Free Member

I suppose its a bit of entertainment for the masses eh!! :mrgreen:

spooky_b329

I wonder if he thought you were too close and was deliberately holding you up. 2 seconds always feels too close for me, I usually use 4.

tonyg2003

Sorry renton your move isn't exactly in the highway code is it. By your own admission of the move you are somewhat aggresive. I've done the same and wotrse in the past, but I've found that listening to pod casts on the motorway (something interesting or something funny) chills me out – I drive +20K pa. I find that it's impossible to get irate with the drivers holding you up when you are laughing your socks off. You do get some funny looks on M25 in the morning though.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Oh, another one of these threads.

nasher
    Free Member

This seems to be phenomenon only in the UK.

on the continent although they drive up your arse and at stupid speeds, most drivers do not hog the middle and outer lanes

grahamh
    Free Member
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

ditto speeding up to 100mph not big nor clever.

Oh, I dunno…..

When I had my Speed Triple, I used to regualarly go to work on it. (Couple of time s a week, say) and my commute is 7 miles with 6 of that being dual carrigeway. Now, I was never in a rush and used to bimble along at no more than the limit. (Still do in fact) Somtimes when overtaking I'd get some pea brained to$$er come up waaaaaay to close behind, giving it large. Yawn.
    I used to very carefully complete my overtake, staying at precisely the same speed, by the book, plenty of space for the car I'm passing, indicate, pull in…. And wait….. Trap baited…..

Mr To$$er gives it the beans.

I change down a gear (Not always necessary, but it sounds nice)

Mr To$$er draws level.

I look over

I nod, or wave.

I show Mr To$$er what proper beans are. Bye-bye Mr To$$er.

😀

I love playing with the traffic. Tis fun. 🙂

The best one ever was some chap in a Boxter S (The faster one) trying to overtake me on the inside on a roundabout, roof down, missus in the passenger seat, showing off….. We exit the roundabout level, I can hear he's in a low gear, but so am I 😈
    He attempts to show how fast his car is. Ends up looking very, very puny.

And people wonder why we ride motorbikes?
    God, I need another one. 🙁

BigJohn

When I get stuck behind somebody going slow in the outside lane, I prefer to move to the middle lane and wait for some other jerk to roar up behind, lights-a-flashing, and perform some entertaining life-threatening aggressive moves. When they're safely out of the way, I can carry on. It usually adds at least 10 seconds to my journey time.

PS – why do we call the 2 innermost lanes on the 6 lane highway the outside lane?

ocrider

This seems to be phenomenon only in the UK.

A few years on the continent would have you saying otherwise, mark my words!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Then you pull into the middle lane, move to undertake, and then when he speeds off you let him.

Is the correct answer, IMO.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I love playing with the traffic. Tis fun

you like playing with the STW masses too by the looks of things 😉

Renton, I'm with you on this.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BigJohn – Member

When I get stuck behind somebody going slow in the outside lane, I prefer to move to the middle lane and wait for some other jerk to roar up behind, lights-a-flashing, and perform some entertaining life-threatening aggressive moves. When they're safely out of the way, I can carry on. It usually adds at least 10 seconds to my journey time.

Is the correct answer

coffeeking
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Is the correct answer

Is not, as someone performing aggressive moves NEXT TO or just in front of me is two levels of unpredictability above what I like.

BigJohn

There is very little unpredictability in that. Just keep your wits about you and hang back.

stumpy01

I think I'd have done the same thing in the circumstances, apart from get up to 100mph in a 'race' with him. I reckon I would have let him speed up & then taken it from there, but cannot say for definite – I might have decided to 'keep up' with him too.

I love all the do-gooding replies on this post, even from a non-driver or two I believe?

Sometimes it can be very frustrating to be driving sensibly to the conditions and have to slow down because someone doesn't want to drive in the correct lane/isn't aware they should be in the correct lane/is on the phone and is gradually slowing down/is on his iPhone posting smug do-gooding replies on the STW website etc. etc..
    You wait for them to react……..and wait……..and wait…….then decide to go round them only to find they don't want you to do that either & start speeding up.

If the bloke wanted to drive at 60 in the outside lane, he should have just let Renton get on with it.

I had a similar thing yesterday with 2 women in the space of about 3 miles of each other who were sat at 60mph in the outside lane, nothing on the inside and refusing to move over. With the first one, I gave up sititng behind her and pulled over to the inside lane. Bloke who was behind me gets right up her chuff, eventually decides to undertake her and as he pulls alongside her, she indicates and starts moving over into the side of him….I just sat well back out of the way.
    2nd one sits in outside lane from joining dual carriageway at a roundabout and doesn't move over – I joined from the same roundabout. It's about 2 miles of DC, ending in a roundabout and then another 1.5 miles or so of DC. I decided to wait behin her & overtake her after the next roundabout, but oh no….she's staying in the outside lane, over the roundabout continuing in the outside lane (at 60mph) and refusing to move over. Queue forming behind her and eventually a 406 Coupe hoons up the inside past her. She still doesn't take the hint and remains in the outside lane.

It makes my widdle boil!!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Renton, if you are so important you need to get to work on time why not leave a little earlier instead?

coffeeking
    Free Member

There is very little unpredictability in that. Just keep your wits about you and hang back.

There's very little unpredictable in letting someone drive up behind a slow driver, flash repeatedly and scare the (obviously timid/distracted/unskilled) driver into rash decisions and/or racing off? OK. Far more dangerous to flash once, get no response then pull left and pass carefully yourself knowing only one additional party in the equation may cause problems.

Of course you could "hang back" and let the mahem take place ahead, but that makes you as much of a roadblock as the idiot in the outide lane. Lost count of the times I've been on a motorway with a rolling roadblock because no-one wants to undertake an old gran at 55 in the outside lane.

Sure, we could say "chill, hang back" and in general I am pretty chilled in the car, but apathy to poor lane use and causing blockage to free moving traffic is just as bad. There's very little added danger to a carefully placed, vigilant undertake.

Renton, if you are so important you need to get to work on time why not leave a little earlier instead?

Just how far do you take that exactly? I mean when I set off for work this morning the traffic was unusually heavy, there was a blockage somewhere. Normally I'm 30 miuntes early, this time I was bang on time. But what if there had been another holdup. Should I leave an hour early? I actually would turn up late generally, but it's not always possible depending on your job.

Taff
    Free Member

Why not leave the house 15 seconds earlier then you could drive safely without losing your temper and stop making it more dangerous on the road for other drivers?

last time I did that my mrs' cat got knocked over

stumpy01

Sure, we could say "chill, hang back" and in general I am pretty chilled in the car, but apathy to poor lane use and causing blockage to free moving traffic is just as bad. There's very little added danger to a carefully placed, vigilant undertake.

Well said!!

As for all the comments about Renton leaving the house earlier. Why should he have to leave for work earlier to compensate for the actions of another who should be driving correctly?

epicyclo

Why do people get so excited when driving around in their bike transportation boxes?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Why do people get so excited when driving around in their bike transportation boxes?

Because people dislike inconsiderate people who screw up the road system, regardless of their choice of transport? 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Inconsiderate twonks like renton and the other undertakers on this thread, You don't get there any faster you know.

if people are being muppets then get out of their way and leave them to it – legally not by untertaking or speeding.

I cannot believe the appalling suggestions given on this thread. Undertaking is never acceptable. You really are bunch of muppets

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

you like playing with the STW masses too by the looks of things

Hell yeah!!!!

The funny thing is, when you're in possession of some real speed, you don't always feel the need to use it, but when you do: Ahhhhhh, bliss….
    🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just in case clarifcation is needed:

Hang on, do we know them to be poor drivers ❓

renton
    Free Member

I dont consider myself an aggresive driver, im quite aware of what is happening around me too.

As other have said why should i leave earlier just incase some numpty in a (insert rep mobile here) decides that because they (insert witty comment about not getting laid etc!!) they are going to sit in the outside lane of a mway and disrupt the flow of traffic.

i had only hit 100mph for about a second and then though better of it and slowed back down to 70mph as we had caught the traffic and i couldnt be arsed getting into a race with the numpty so he then has to slow right down again in the outside land just so he could pull in behind me and proceed to flash me every other second for the next mile or so???

oh and i was very chilled out this morning , listneing to the new alicia keys album!!

EDIT. TJ i didnt technically undertake as i stayed in the middle lane not pulling back into outside lane.

thanks

coffeeking
    Free Member

You don't get there any faster you know.

You do. Not always, but a lot of the time you do.

Undertaking as a general rule isn't the best plan, but in circumstances such as the OP it is warranted. Extend it a little to this situation:

Undertaking, as an individual move, is not illegal at all. The highway code suggests you should not do it as an individual move, i.e. we should not always assume that we can pass on either side, but that if the lane to the right is congested you can pass in your lane without problem. The outside lane is congested in this case, just by one person being an idiot.

TJ – you belong in Canada, the land where they'll sit and wait 30 miutes at a broken traffic light because it's red, rather than assuming it might be broken and nosing forwards using common sense!

turboferret

I'm with Renton on this, probably would have done pretty much the exact same thing.

On the motorbike, I generally don't bother trying to persuade cars to move out of the way, and just treat them as mobile chicanes 😀

Cheers, Rich

ski
    Free Member

Wow, when I read your first post Renton, I thought you were trolling.

Fair play to you.

The other driver does sound like a wind up merchant though, loads of the about on the road.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well thats several more muppets outed themselves.

You lot show why UK driving is so bad. You think yourself great drivers while being aggressive and breaking the law.

I cannot believe how pro "cocks in cars" you lot are for a cycling site – its 'cos you are all frustrated home counties IT / middle management types isn't it. Wannabe clarksons the lot of you.

Leave 5 minutes earlier and chill out. You will arrive much less stressed and much more safely

This thread shows STW muppetry at its finest.

coffeeking
    Free Member

1:30 in, and 3:30 are both applicable here 🙂

TJ, you really can't be serious, you're almost a caricature of yourself here. UK driving is so bad because there's a general lack of rule-following, forcing others to be frustrated and inconvenienced by the idiots who hog lanes and drive along like its sunday 4am, meaning that those who would otherwise drive along quite happily and sedately are forced to either take even longer to get somewhere that is reasonable, or just expected to sit like morons behind those who know nothing about road use.

So assuming we're not allowed to undertake the person in the ouside lane doing 60 (or 50 etc) and not moving, what do you propose we do. Bring the nations transport network down to 50 just for them, or maybe just wait until it's sufficiently congested behind them that people can't see it's one guy in the outside lane and start to undertake "legally"?

timc
    Free Member

This isnt 'BMW Drivers'…

epicyclo

Maybe it's different for some people, but I have noticed that my scrotum doesn't detach if I have to wait for another driver to wake up/move over. 💡

And sitting here, I don't regret those lost seconds.

turboferret

Does it help to add that I drive a BMW and ride a BMW 😆

TJ in high horse non shocker 🙄 😀

Cheers, Rich

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Coffeeking – really? A caricature you say? Over exaggeration for comic effect? Me

coffeeking
    Free Member

Maybe it's different for some people, but I have noticed that my scrotum doesn't detach if I have to wait for another driver to wake up/move over.

Good for you that you have so few things to fit into a day that a few minutes are not important to you. What would you do if they didn't move over, as is often the case?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Coffeeking – really? A caricature you say? Over exaggeration for comic effect? Me

Are you trolling in tandem with renton. A team effort really isn't fair you know!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No conspiacy and I do believe what I say. However I may just have over egged the pudding a little bit.

I do find it hard to understand why a cycling forum has so many cock drivers on it tho. And you really don't save any significant time by driving like a cock.

stumpy01

TJ, yes you are showing yourself to be a bit of a muppet, aren't you?!

Is undertaking actually illegal? I'm sure I discussed this a month or two ago with my other half who is a Police Officer. I think I had done a similar thing to Renton above & was asking her about it with regards to where I stood within the law.
    She basically said that it would depend how you'd been driving prior to undertaking someone, how much time you gave the person to move over before undertkaing, whether your driving appeared aggressive or not etc. etc. You probably wouldn't be stopped unless you were already seen to be driving like an idiot, hadn't given the car time to get out of the way, were driving aggressively etc.

Oh and yes, more times than not you will get there faster. At the end (or indeed the start) of a long commute, why should I be happy & willing to be delayed by someone else who is not driving correctly. If I have an empty lane next to me and it's safe, I will use it.

if people are being muppets then get out of their way and leave them to it – legally not by untertaking or speeding.

And how do you get out of their way, while not undertaking. Your only other option is to slow down & sit behind them. Picture the scenario – 3am in the morning, the roads are dead. You catch up to a car in the outside lane of a dual carriageway doing 40mph……would you undertake?

Undertaking is never acceptable.

Erm…..I'd have thought making incorrect sweeping statements is unacceptable. There are in fact MANY occasions where undertaking is perfectly acceptable.

Grimy
    Free Member

Mister P – Member

Talk about completely missing the point. We are discussing peoples lack of lane disaplin, and how those who obviously have none get somewhat upset at the use of a perfectly reasonable signal to let them know of your presance as detailed in the highway code signals section part 110.

zaskar
    Free Member

Just ignore him, overtake when safe and drive normally FFS.

BMW owners? nah just majority of car drivers are late etc and funny they walk normally but can't drive with manners.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘**** BMW drivers…………’ is closed to new replies.