Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Features that would make you not buy a bike?
  • frank4short
    Free Member

Just looking at the thread on the price of carbon full sus frames, with semi interest as potentially i'll be in the market to buy something like that middle of next year. Anyway it got me thinking about features on bikes that would make you consider not purchasing a given frame when you might have looked at it before.

For me one definite no no has got to be integrated headsets. Anything that would stop you buying a frame/bike?

khani
    Free Member

specific shocks a la scott genius and bionicon,

juan
    Free Member

XT brakes
    Actually makeit shimano brakes full stop

singlespeedstu

The names Trek/Specialized on the downtube.

*runs for cover 😉 *

pjt201
    Free Member

what's the problem with integrated headsets? built in seat masts I don't like.

will
    Free Member

Explosion In a Spaghetti Factory – Member
    The names Trek/Specialized on the downtube.

*runs for cover *

You beat me to it 🙁

I also want to know what it wrong with integrated headsets? They look sleek (because you can't see them)

frank4short
    Free Member

In simple terms they wear out quicker than regular ones. You're relying on the manufacturer creating a perfectly faced surface for the bearing & you're making one of the parts that potentially wears with the movement the frame itself.

Plus Chris King says he won't make them as he believes it's an inherently flawed design.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The name Scott or Giant on the downtube

**runs for cover**

Lactic
    Free Member

On ones slidy dropouts put me off buying a scandal. I can see how they are a clever solution if you want to switch between SS and geared, but if you only want to run gears they're just an unecessary PIA.

djglover
    Free Member

The word Kona or On-One on the down tube

pjt201
    Free Member

Plus Chris King says he won't make them as he believes it's an inherently flawed design.

Inherently flawed like his normal headset design?

PJay
    Free Member

As I understand it, with integrated headset the bearings roll against the headtube itself potentially wearing the frame, at least according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headset_(bicycle_part)#Integrated_headsets.

After getting minimal chainring clearance and chainstay damage from the odd chainsuck strike and the really wide stays on my 853 Inbred I'd have to say that I'd probably avoid a frame with On-One bridgeless stays.

mtbfix

CK are a pragmatic, market driven bunch and now make internal headsets as nearly all modern road bikes need them.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Gears

Anna-B
    Free Member

Avid juicy 5 brakes. It's more hassle and trouble changing pads than anything else I've ever done.

Make that any Avid brakes, just in case.

barca
    Free Member

A rear shock. I just don't like full suspension bikes anymore. Quite irrational I know. I only liked my Epic so much because it didn't look like a full bouncer but now they do and I don't like them now.

PJay
    Free Member

Is that CK headset integrated or internal (semi-integrated)? As I understand it integrated headsets run the bearings against the headtube whilst internal/semi-integrated headsets fit cups inside the headset.

james
    Free Member

anna banana
    Just ditch the retention clip/spring on the back of the caliper. The spring/spider between the pads will hold the pads onto the raised section of the piston just fine
    They are a doddle to change pads then

For me, probably certain types of suspension design put me off (depending what I wanted the bike for), something with santa cruz down the side
    Carbon bikes without aluminium reinforced/insert dropouts (eg Ibis Mojo SL)
    Lack of seperate rear mech hanger worries me too. I'm struggling to find a reason not to buy a soul now though

29erKeith
    Free Member

little wheels 😆

Olly
    Free Member

not having Giant written on the down tube :p

intergrated headsets are no different from having pivot bearings in a frame.
    also, i believe, not that common in mountain bikes.

i THINK you mean semiintegrated, where the bearings are recessing in the frame, however there are still cups that are pushed in to prevent damage to the frame.

i may be wrong though.

Semi integrated in most of my bikes, as most of them are Giants :p

tinsy
    Free Member

I didnt buy a new Scandal because of the lack of replaceable mech hangar… Did buy a 2nd hand one with normal dropouts because it did, spent the saving on a 1 off powder coat and graphics. 🙂 Now they come in a myriad of colours 😕

frank4short
    Free Member

The CK one is internal not integrated. It has an internal cups instead of running the bearings against the headtube. There's a big difference between the 2 designs even though they look a like.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The names Trek/Specialized on the downtube

The word Kona or On-One on the down tube

Right. That's it. FIGHT!!!!!! I'LL HAVE YOU, I'LL HAVE YOU!!!!!

We've got a Kona, a Specialized, a Trek and an On-One in the garage!

😉

Anna-B
    Free Member

Just ditch the retention clip/spring on the back of the caliper

I'll give it a go James, thanks!

frank4short
    Free Member

I also wouldn't buy a GT after a stint in a bike shop in Cham a few years back where we were sending on average 2 a week back to the distributors. That's not even mentioning the number of mech hangers & suspension linkage parts we were replacing on a daily basis. Though i imagine they've sorted out these problems by now still wouldn't ever go near them again following that.

However this thread is about design features/specs you wouldn't buy a bike because of NOT brands.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The only thing that puts me off is stupid shock placement – anything between the wheel and seat tube is right out! I can't see why manufacturers place the shock right in the firing line of all the muck off the back wheel, it put me right off the Cube Fritz that I would probably have bought otherwise.

stumpy01

I now definitely take tyre/mud clearance into consideration as my current bike has little of either. I guess for XC tyres as intended it's OK, but put anything bigger than a 2.1 on and it all gets a bit tight.

Potentially bottle bosses. I am thinking of getting my Lumi battery bag swapped over to a bottle as the bag has really knackered the paint on my bike in the 2yrs I've been using it. The thought of doing the same to a brand new bike has got me thinking about getting it changed. BUT, the Zesty (on my shortlist) doesn't come with bottle bosses…..hmmmm.

Non-standard stuff that might be difficult to get hold of in the future. Not sure if this is irrelevant or not, but the Fuel EX for example; does the ABP require a non-standard QR for the rear wheel? Not sure, but if it did, it would put me off a bit.

juan
    Free Member

I can't see why manufacturers place the shock right in the firing line of all the muck off the back wheel,

Ok I know that waht I am going to say may sound weird to you, but you can actually ride a bike in the dry.
    No honest
    Really I meant it it's true 😉

clubber
    Free Member

The whole "integrated headsets are a poor design because they wear out your frame" is a load of crap really. They've been used for several years now with no major issues – certainly no more than normal headsets which can (but rarely do) flare head tubes.

For me, I'd avoid a bike with proprietary shock (Scott/Bionicon as mentioned) or bikes that can't easily be serviced at home (eg Cannondale headshoks).

westkipper
    Free Member

Re. integrated headsets; against the dire predictions of Chris King, the worlds bikeshops are not overflowing with bikes wrecked with f**ked internal headsets. I've had to fix plenty of my nephew's mates (DIY jump) bikes, and despite overlong forks, loose bearings and serious neglect, I've been surprised how robust these designs are.
    I have no strong view either way- my bikes are 50/50 conventional/ integrated, but I always find it ironic that the folk that think headsets should be external, think BB's should be internal.

The bike feature that would put me off buying a bike would definately be pierced/ rivetted cablestops on aluminium frames, Its a horribly cheap, agricultural-looking way of adding stops to a frame that takes less skill or effort than welding them on properly- I hate it 👿

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Juan… that's a lie! I know this as I am not sure I have ever seen this thing you call dry… other than inside. Sometimes.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Straight through gear cable guides (for full length outers) – more cable drag and don't last longer in my experience. Invariably need a newer inner cabler if you wish to clean them. I know you just use a ferrule adapter thing but still..

Under the top tube cable guides – for extra shoulder pain when carrying. Solution to a non-existent problem.

clubber
    Free Member

The cynic in me says that CK don't like internal headsets because there's obviously less headset on show and people who spend silly money on their headsets like to be able to show them off so will be less inclined to buy CK if they have an integrated one.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Another one here who was put off buying a Scandal sice they switched to slidy drop outs and non replaceable gear hangers.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

hope breaks – have to be shimano for me
    fox forks – over priced imo
    track ends – PITA big style

njee20
    Free Member

I'm very tempted to try one of those new internal King's in my Fuel, after 4 years of terrible, terrible bearing life from Cane Creek integrated headsets it'll be nice to have another option!

Seat mast puts me off definitely.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Actually, I've been giving this some thought and I can't come up with any feature that would definitely be a deal-breaker.

westkipper
    Free Member

Another thing I despise- top routed cables that run down the sides of the top tube- so you flay the insides of your knees. I've never had an issue with under-the-bracket routing but if it had to be up top, at least try and get the cables out of the way.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I must admit that with last 4 MTBs I've bought I've been seriously swayed buy provision for full length cable outers. I think they really are that good.

And I wouldn't but a bike that only took 100mm forks either.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Features that would make you not buy a bike?’ is closed to new replies.