Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Favourite Trail Bulldozed
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Imagine a 2km stretch of rocky, rooty, fast flowing singletrack down through natural woodland, then imagine finding that a bulldozer has gone through it. Well that’s what happened to me today. The council have got contractors in and they’ve gone through with a mini dozer/digger flattening it and ripping out and cutting down trees and bushes. I spoke to one of the workers who could understand my disappointment but they’re just doing what they’re contracted to do.

Why do the council do this? I’m hoping it’s due to some policy of making paths more accessible rather than just plain idiocy. I’m trying to be philosophical about it but it was an awesome route.

Anyone else had this happen and what was the reasoning for it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One persons “rocky, rooty, fast flowing singletrack” is another persons eroded mess that used to be a path.

Of course I don’t know the detail of this but if it is a bridleway then the council have a duty to repair it.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

As I said I’m trying to be philosophical. It’s a path and it’s in Scotland. It needed some repairs that’s for sure but not with a bulldozer. There are way’s of conserving and repairing paths without destroying their natural character. One good thing is that It’ll now be suitable for zimmer frames, wheelchairs and prams oh yeah and tandems too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

In that case giant Jaunt I really don’t know – where is it? No statutory duty IIRC to repair paths in Scotland – its down to teh landowner usually – or council if it is a “core path” IIRC

luked2
    Free Member

Cambridgeshire county council had a big consultation with footpath and bridleway users to find out what people wanted.

Low impact, keeping the countryside feel, minimal.

Then they got out the bulldozers.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

According to the contractor the council are paying for it. I’ve emailed them just to ask them what they’re planning and what their policy is on path maintenance in the area. I think it’s good for them to get differing opinions on these things. Maybe they’ve been getting pressured to do the work by folk who like a very smooth man made feel to their paths. Hopefully it’s not just to use up the underspend.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Favourite Trail Bulldozed’ is closed to new replies.