Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Favourite Pets
  • frankconway

Many years ago when my kids were…..kids,now 24 – 27 – 30…… we had the chance of getting of a lab puppy for free; it didn’t happen but the kids had an expectation of having a dog so we bought a pedigree old english sheepdog and called her Tess.

The greatest pet – and dog – anyone could wish for; great with the kids as they were with her, easy going but not exactly maintenance free.

She was a big hairy dog best kept outdoors; we had space for an outdoor dog run and kennel which she loved.

First year it snowed when she was outside, looked out of the window at about 5am- saw a ‘lump’ at end of dog run; went out feeling a bit concerned, dog perfectly comfortable in the snow, fantastically warm under the outer hairs so left her to it.

Cleaned her kennel regularly – yes, it smelled a bit until I scrubbed/disinfected it – and she use it when it suited her.

if you want a dog, have the space and commitment – get an old english.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’d love an Old English Sheepdog – but alas – space, although I have heard that weirdly, they make quite good apartment dogs.

frankconway

when they’re puppies – yep, they will run around for hours but after that they’re so easy and undemanding.

having said that, it just wouldn’t be right to have one in an apartment as they need space.

my daughter has a ‘labradoodle’; lovely lovable friendly and fun to be with but if you have access to a garden….they do like to dig so you have been warned – well…..advised more than warned; i wouldn’t hesitate to get one of these.

itstig

I knew a farmer who had four fully trained as working sheep dogs,they had their coats cut once a year when the sheep were clipped and lived outside all year.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Favourite Pets’ is closed to new replies.