Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Favourite Credit Cards
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Im in the market for a new credit card.

Ideally i want Visa over Mastercard, i want simple quick easy online account access, recommended customer services when required…… thats about it

not too fussed about cashback as im not a big spender, not too worried about high interest as the balance gets paid monthly.

I dont want to deal with Barclaycard and i wont be paying an annual charge for the card

So which credit card do you love?

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Don’t love any of then, but Virgin are pretty good (I use them for their interest-free balance transfer options).

Harry_the_Spider

My Tesco Mastercard is a lovely colour.

No annual fee.

Earns Tesco Clubcard points.

No idea what the interest is like as I clear it every month.

bruneep

What Harry says.

soobalias
    Free Member

dont remember why i have an aversion to mastercard, perhaps i need a rethink

that said the tesco round here is shocking, so clubcard points are not that attractive

grantway
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    My Tesco Mastercard is a lovely colour.

No annual fee.

Earns Tesco Clubcard points.

No idea what the interest is like as I clear it every month.

Plus 1

soobalias
    Free Member

oh, and virgin still owe me money so thats them out.

a well known money-site seems to show that if i want visa, im stuck between barclaycard (nope) Nationwide, or AA.

Anyone recommend that i dont touch Nationwide with a bargepole?

Tesco is a lovely colour you say, will it match my handbag?

MrGreedy

I know you said you’re not bothered about cashback, but if you’re paying off in full you might as well have it as not – some of the best current ones listed here. Currently thinking of getting the AA Visa for 3% cashback on fuel myself.

bruneep

that said the tesco round here is shocking, so clubcard points are not that attractive

Double points on every purchase on CC so no need to use tesco. Points are redeemed on family days out or hotel breaks. £10 tesco points = £30 voucher.

nicko74

Anyone recommend that i dont touch Nationwide with a bargepole?

Well, bargepole *may* be pushing it, I’m less than convinced about them now, having signed up to Nationwide about 5 years ago. Their service has gone down the toilet; it’s also noticeable that whereas Amex’s fraud prevention rarely has any false negatives (ie even if you pop up in Azerbaijan, they generally seem to know it’s you), Nationwide 3 times wouldn’t let me use my cards in Sri Lanka. 3 times as in I rang them 3 times to say “it didn’t work”, and 3 times they told me “OK, we’ve sorted it, it’ll work now”.

Feckers.

Egg have just switched to Barclaycard, so I want a new card for when Amex isn’t accepted. Might check out that AA one.

djglover
    Free Member

I don’t pay an annual fee to barclaycard, but they still give me 1% cash back on petrol and supermarket shopping. 0.5% on everything else. I’ve never paid any interest either. I’d love to see the business model for that.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the business model is based on the fact that lots of people do pay interest…

soobalias
    Free Member

egg being swallowed up by barclaycard is the reason im in the market for a new card

jon1973
    Free Member

. I’d love to see the business model for that.

The 1.5 / 2% fee they charge the retailer for all credit card transactions for the cards they issue. I think Amex charge about 4%. They still make money out of you as long as you’re using the card, although you’re right in that most of their money comes from interest and charges.

djglover
    Free Member

I know, I wonder how many benefit from it. I assume quite a lot

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

egg being swallowed up by barclaycard is the reason im in the market for a new card

What’s the problem though? They’re still paying the 1% cashback that Egg Money introduced on all purchases so far as I’m aware and aren’t charging anything (unless I’ve missed something!), so why the sudden aversion?

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve ‘earned’ over £300 is less than a year with the Amex card I took out – just spend everything I can on it – petrol, food, online shopping etc – very quickly racks up the max of £200 on 5% cashback before dropping back to 1.25% (IIRC). Not accepted everywhere but works fine for most of the big expenses mentioned above. It’s free money for no hassle… I have a DD to pay off the full amount each month.

Oh and their online (and iPhone/android apps) are good too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Favourite Credit Cards’ is closed to new replies.