Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Favourite cathedrals
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The favourite castle thread was interesting & I’ve just been to Norwich & saw their cathedral, (which was crap compared to Durham!)but it got me wondering about other peoples fave.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/bmfjro]002[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr
    Lincoln looks pretty neat though.
    What’s your favourite

PiknMix
    Free Member

Leicester, for many reasons and now we have a King so it’s even better.

seadog101

Salisbury has always been my choice of impressive bits of stone stacked together in the name of an imaginary friend.

chewkw
    Free Member

Pik n Mix – Member

Leicester, for many reasons and now we have a King so it’s even better.

In life he was killed near Leicester, in death his remains is still detained by his enemy.

His remains should be returned to York.

I hope those who detain his remains will suffer no ends as that is not their decision to detain him. He should rest in peace in York at his home.

🙄

bol

Huh, Norwich Cathedral crap? We’ve got two bloody Cathedrals! How many has Durham got?

edlong
    Free Member

Durham, York and that bonkers one in Spain.

chewkw
    Free Member

I prefer Canterbury Cathedral.

bencooper
    Free Member

Cologne is stunning:

But I should be loyal and say Glasgow:

jsm

Durham, first norman one and first with a slate roof.

Plus the peninsular/river banks is a great location. There again I grew up in Durham. Been around a few others and not that blown away. Wells was nice, the London ones have some great graves/other things of interest.

Spanish one isn’t finished 😛

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Huh, Norwich Cathedral crap? We’ve got two bloody Cathedrals! How many has Durham got?

Errr, only one. 🙁

But we’ve got a castle as well! Ha! So naff off. 😆

Is Cologne ‘old’ or is it ‘newish’ due to RAF involvement during the war?

danielgroves
    Free Member

Wells Cathedral is quite something.

CountZero

Wells.

[/url] Scissor Buttress, Wells Cathedral by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

Cathedral staircase by CountZero1, on Flickr

The Scissor Buttresses are unique, as are the steps up to the Chapter House, or so I believe.
    Salisbury is rather lovely, too, and it’s in my home county.

richmars

Has to be the Ship of the Fens, Ely.

bencooper
    Free Member

Is Cologne ‘old’ or is it ‘newish’ due to RAF involvement during the war?

They clipped the corner, but missed the rest.

langylad
    Free Member

York technically isn’t a cathedral but is wonderful. Think Lincoln is my favourite although i have heard Ely takes some beating.
    When i retire i plan to visit all the cathedrals of the uk.

anagallis_arvensis

The original coventry cathedral.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Durham is my favourite, mainly for the interior decoration. Early attempt, and each column is different.

Liverpool for the position and the sheer domination of it’s surroundings (and it’s local). The interior of the bell tower is monumental in its scale.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Guildford. Only because of the omen being filmed there.

souldrummer
    Free Member

Even though I have Guildford cathedral almost literally on my doorstep, my favourite has to be Winchester. I have very fond memories of my great uncle taking us round there as kids telling us great tales of the kings whose bones are in the chests, and of St Swithin. Loved the cathedral and the town ever since.

richmars

I’m lucky to visit Ely most weekends, and have been to many events there. While being totally non-religious, it’s hard not to be impressed with the building. Like all of them here, how did they manage to build them!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Of the ones I have visited in the past few years Lichfield whilst not being the biggest is lovely. It’s actually one of my favourite pastimes despite not being religious in any way shape or form, I marvel at the construction and art…….and how much the things cost to build. How much would rebuild costs be these days!

mogrim

St. Pauls, not the most beautiful, but such an iconic building in my home town:

PiknMix
    Free Member

In life he was killed near Leicester, in death his remains is still detained by his enemy.
    I hope those who detain his remains will suffer no ends as that is not their decision to detain him. He should rest in peace in York at his home.

It’s been quite extensively proven that York have no claim to his remains, he will rest in peace a few metres away from where he was initially buried.

Sandwich

Ely must have looked great when the glass was new in the middle ages. Cromwells men broke it all, such senseless wanton destruction.

Our local which shows the Gaudi job is going up with unseemly haste (800 years to complete).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve only seen Ely from a distance

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nvcn74]Division Bell[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Sounds good though!

globalti
    Free Member

Salisbury for me. My Mum’s family were Wiltshire farmers and some of the family live there so I’m bound to favour it. The cathedral is a stunning example of lightweight medieval stone construction. A tour of the roof and the spire is inspirational (groan) as you wander through about eight centuries of history. I never fail to visit the cathedral when in Salisbury.

ElShalimo

Santiago de Compostela and its mighty therabule !

andytherocketeer

was going to say guildford for a laugh (graduated there) — edit saw some photos somewhere of it being built – kind of odd seeing cathedrals being built in living memory

but i’d have to be patriotic and say Canterbury or Rochester, although have been to Ely a few times and it’s certainly impressive.

Have ancestors that married in Wells cathedral. I guess the money didn’t get inherited down our line.

scuttler

Cologne then and now (intact through design or divine?)

yunki
    Free Member

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

Milan, 500 years to build.

for a few Euros they let you walk around the roof.

jonba
    Free Member

Durham, but then I used to live there so it was regular view.

chewkw
    Free Member

Pik n Mix – Member

It’s been quite extensively proven that York have no claim to his remains, he will rest in peace a few metres away from where he was initially buried. [/quote]

Slight hijack folks … someone is wrong on the interweb forum regarding Richard III.
    :mrgreen:

A captured King who is now an exhibit of his enemy is wrong on so many counts as that is not the way to treat a King regardless of him being an enemy or on the opposing side. A trophy King now which is Not the way for a warrior’s death.

He is Richard of York Not Richard of Leicester, so no matter how the court ruled in Leicester’s favour it is wrong. Bear in mind the court did not know what to do until now because there was no precedent over such matter.

Imagine the British army remains are still in the hand of the enemy and being exhibited.

The court does not know the code of warrior and the people who want to detain him in death as exhibition trophy has no concept of the of warrior as well.

🙄

cheers_drive

Put in context to it’s surroundings Ely cathedral is pretty stunning. Imagine whate it was like approaching it from the fens hundreds of years ago when it was just it a couple of other buildings, even I the heathen would believe in a god that could indpire that. Driving in from Soham the viee is still awe inspiring. Sorry no photo as I’m on my phone.

PiknMix
    Free Member

We still have him though don’t we 😉 in your face York.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Pretty sure a dead humans remains isn’t going to care where its buried.

botanybay
    Free Member

Durham is great, get the train and witness one of the best views in the country.

Cant believe it’s over 1100 years old.

Klunk
    Free Member

richard of york, pah! he wouldn’t even been allowed to play for the cricket team as he was born in Northamptonshire.

Duffer
    Free Member

There is only one answer: Lindum Colonia.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Faves are Lichfield, only three spired in the country. Lincoln looks amazing ffom miles away as you approach it and St Pauls, the picture of a Spitfire flying over it during the blitz, sort of protecting it, awsome image.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Favourite cathedrals’ is closed to new replies.