Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Favourite bikes of yore…
  • noteeth
    Free Member

My first Bontrager Race, somewhere near Santa Fe, New Mexico, in the "Fall" of '99. Loved this bike.

The (medium) frame now saved for the nation and on display in my spares museum (i.e. bedroom). Now ride a large Race – somebody bring out a modern 1 inch short-travel fork, purlease… 😀

vondally
    Free Member

2001 Turner RFX
    1998 Santa Cruz Heckler
    Cannondale killer v

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Diamond Back Apex circa 1998, and P7 which replaced the DB when it was nicked – barstewards.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Always wanted a Fisher CR7
    and then a Fisher RS-1

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Own all 3 of my faves

including this one

The ride is awful but look at it!!

mboy
    Free Member

I had a 1997 Specialized S-Works Team Edition M2 (very rare, bought it off a sponsored rider), with the Specialized Carbon Fibre legged Rockshox Judys. Man that was a bike! Mine had a pretty top notch spec too, XTR brakes, XTR hubs, Thomson post, Azonic bars, Ceramic Mavic rims, Flite Saddle, SRAM 9.0 mech and shifters. Only the LX cranks let the side down really!

Thing is it still held its own when I sold it back in 2003, the only reason I sold it was that I had become used to using Disc brakes and as I couldn't fit one to the M2, it went… Wish I hadn't sold it now!

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

somebody bring out a modern 1 inch short-travel fork, purlease

Marzocchi had some 1 inch MX Pro's around, think they had 80 or 100 mm travel, CRC had some but can't find them there now so might be worth doing a goooooooogle?

Early 90's Specialized S-Works, found one last year, fast and light, but it's got a very low front end by today's standards … and a 94 FSR I have in the loft awaiting new bushes, nice!

Christowkid
    Free Member

kojallollipop/noteeth:
    I put Marz. on my Bonty Race to see what new forks/disc brakes were like, also fed up with the original '96 Pace's not very weatherproof.
    A good experiment but….. it does raise the front by ~50mm, and 25mm per degree of angle, slackens off the head angle about 2 degrees.
    So…. coming home downhill, it is really stable, but going out uphill found the front very light and lifting. Had to adjust the seat forward a little to try and compensate, making the cockpit a tad cramped.
    Still, learnt a lot from experiment, now proud owner of a 'modern' bike as I liked the newer forks/brakes. Not sure whether to keep Race as bastardised old/new, or to return it to original spec. so will think on!
    my experience…..
    Q

noteeth
    Free Member

also fed up with the original '96 Pace's

Thanks for the Marz insights. I'm currently running either knackered old '95 RS Judys or rigid Pace RC30s (bike handles an absolute treat, albeit not comfortably).

Still my favourite ever bike in fast middle-ring singletrack stuff. Other bikes for other moods, I guess…

slimtubing
    Free Member

My '90 Eldridge Grade. Best fitting bike I ever had and 6 happy years of rigid old school steel loveliness. Now in a barn in Fife.

Never had one; always wanted one…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

str – great choice

momo

2000 S-Works M4, so good in fact I'm still riding it 9 1/2 years on!

RoterStern
    Free Member

My old Intense Tracer that sadly got nicked. 🙁

tops5
    Free Member

Loved my GT's – Timberline,Zaskar,LTS and STS (and no the STS didn't break!)

Cheers ROFL

Roter – I have a high saddle, but wtf? I'd imagine descents are interesting on that beast.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The Intense Tracer was a great bike. I still have a frame in the loft! Really should get around to doing something with it.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I'd imagine descents are interesting on that beast.
    Were STR were. I'm 6'2 which is why the high saddle 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

mid 90's Kona Explosif. Bought second hand off Duncan at Alpine Bikes.

Got a vee brake rear guide brazed on and resprayed racing green. Bombers and XTR/XT goodness.

Did my best riding on that bike. Damn I miss it…

clubber
    Free Member

Well I always wanted a 95 GT LTS but I've still got and riding my 95 Kona Kilauea which is still a great bike

I had, and still have a '97 Lava Dome

djglover
    Free Member

I miss my Saracen Traverse

scaredypants

I've still got a zaskar LE frame like STR's pic – bought 2nd hand in about 1996

Was my winter bike but just changed frames

She's stripped & lying on the lawn in the rain tonight 😳 to soften the kack so I can get it tarted up. I spent a while looking for cracks etc when I stripped it but looks in top nick after 12 yrs or so

oldfart

noteeth don't suppose you want to sell the bonty frame by any chance ?

matthewjb
    Free Member

Not mine. But always wanted one of these. Must be due to reading to much MBUK in the late 80's/early 90's.

Sam

somebody bring out a modern 1 inch short-travel fork, purlease.

Just get a nice rigid fork for it?

+1 on the Fat.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

not many recent one inch forks around rigid or bouncey, had the same issue and recently ordered a custom ti rigid set. pace used to do an inch set as special order but not sure if DT continued this. And frankly wouldnt recommend pace forks for all the tea in china… mine snapped.

noteeth
    Free Member

noteeth don't suppose you want to sell the bonty frame by any chance ?

'fraid not – it's a keeper… one day to be re-built in full retrobike stylee! 8)

The first mountain bikes I really wanted but couldn't afford at the time were the Kona Explosif and Klein Attitude.

vernon-sez
    Free Member

Ah shameless excuse for more retro! I've got me old Zaskar 99, replaced a few bits over the years but still going strong!

All time fave? Other than the Zaskar, i always wanted an Attitude

Drooool…

flange
    Free Member

I have always wanted a ball burnished GT LTS. Had a picture of one on the inside of my Geography folder at school – Judy SL's, XT, syncros. What i'd give for one now

Pieface

Around about 1992 Raleigh brought out a range called the 'Summit' or something that were meant to be their 'Proper' mountain bikes. I really wanted one from their, might have been called a Summit too. Had Reynolds 531, Titanium handlebars and Deore LX IIRC. Can't find anything on the web about it.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had a 97 Timberline and a 99 Zaskar the Timberline got nicked and the Zaskar is way too big so its now my brothers.

A mate of mine still has his 97 Timberline and is totally original apart from the grips and headset. Even has the original WTB Velocoraptors! He has also been trying to build up a STS for the past 7 years or so he just cant be arsed to get his act together!

BlingBling
    Free Member

Always wanted a Klein Attitude, never got one though.

gingerflash

Nishiki Alien, green, E-stays, square tubes.

A mate had one with a disk drive, Mag 21 SLTi's and purple Grafton cranks and brakes.

"somebody bring out a modern 1 inch short-travel fork, purlease"

I tried the Marz on my old P7. miles too long for it. Got some old and very rubbish RC35s now.

hp_source

Always fancied one of these, or the nice forks at least….

clubber
    Free Member

I had the Amp fork – actually suprisingly good for how it looked – rubbish on smaller stuff but definitely better than the telescopic forks of the time (96ish) over bigger hits where I reckoned the 'j' shaped path actually did have some effect. Complete lack of any small bump sensitivity, mind but that was down to the damper which was sticky as hell.

taka
    Free Member

vondally – Member
    2001 Turner RFX
    1998 Santa Cruz Heckler
    Cannondale killer v

Got one im my shed 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

1994 Kona Cinder Cone Ltd Edition… like this one:

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Favourite bikes of yore…’ is closed to new replies.