Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Faulty RAM
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Further to my previous computer issues, I have run memtest86 and it’s reported faults in both 8GB dims. Only a few though – it found two on one but I stopped it half way, and only one in this one. Do they definitely need to be replaced? There’s no way to mark these addresses like there is on hard drives?

Could it also be the slot? I have four slots.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Are you overclocking? If so, set the clock to normal and try the test again.

Also is the RAM the right spec for the motherboard? Potentially it might be being driven at wrong speeds. Another thing is if one is a different spec of RAM to the other, though I’d expect it to just run at the lowest speed of the two.

You could try then in different slots. Depending on the system you may need them in pairs in particular slots.

If you’ve got access to another PC that takes the same RAM you could test them on that.

Otherwise, probably are duff. Take a photo of the memtest failure and RMA the stuff with the photo or print of or similar.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not overlooking. It’s a stock laptop and its the stock ram. There are no ram timing settings in BIOS to turn down either.

oldnpastit

You’re not having a lot of luck with this laptop are you?

molgrips
    Free Member

Nope. Hardware faults’ll do that.

I moved both modules into different slots, memtest came back clean.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Faulty RAM’ is closed to new replies.