Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fatty curious
  • timwillows
    Free Member

I’m beginning to think I might find a fat, or +, bike fun, but I have this nagging worry that when I ride it in the wet Hampshire clay it will pick up tons to flag and grind me to a halt.
    Anyone ridden one in clay? Do they work?

russyh
    Free Member

As with any bike it’s tyre dependant I guess. I have however found my nates enjoy holding on to thicker clay like mud which can be a bit of a pain as you start to really feel the weight. But I’m sure this is remedy with different tyres.

postierich
    Free Member

Forget a fat bike if your local riding is clay/mud IMHO

billysugger
    Free Member

This topic is like a Maserati popup

thelinkedinman
    Free Member

Been having the same thoughts. Will it float over the top or will the right tyre grip through or will it just collect twice as much mud based heft?

Be interesting to see what responses you get too.

Got a fat bike itch here too 🙂

James

stevedoc
    Free Member

I was in the same boat as you until Last month, I spent ages looking at fat and plus sized bikes for that quick runout and fun bike. I live in Saddleworth one of the wettest muddiest places on the planet 🙂 And after looking at the On one fatty trail and Cube Nutrail I opted for a Norco torrent 27.5plus. A nice slack head angle and all the right spec for the money, yes it’s a little sketchy in the mud and slop but my guess is the Nobby Nics aren’t really up to the job, I’d love maxxis to make Hr2 and Shortys in 3.2 that would help loads. As for the concept of a plus fun bike do it, I’ve only ridden my Five once in the Last 5 weeks , can’t help keep grabbing the Torrent, massively smile inducing

dufusdip
    Free Member

I’ve not had great experiences on clay type mud with a fatty despite it being surpisingly adept on other terrain. It could be a feature of the tyres (on one floaters) but held a lot of mud. But could also be the ground was quite churned up by horses. Thinner mud seems ok 🙂

epicyclo

timwillows – Member
    I’m beginning to think I might find a fat, or +, bike fun, but I have this nagging worry that when I ride it in the wet Hampshire clay it will pick up tons to flag and grind me to a halt.

I remember that wet Hampshire clay that sticks to the wheels and jams the chainstays.

Don’t worry fatbikes are much better than ordinary bikes in that sort of stuff.

You’ll get about 10 feet further into the bog. 🙂

(ie if you’re faced with and endless morass, don’t bother, but if it’s a short stretch you have more chance of getting across it on a fatbike with low pressure tyres.)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fatty curious’ is closed to new replies.