Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fattest tyres for a Frog 62
  • Pogo
    Free Member

Got my son a nice Frog 62 bike with 24″ wheels, it’s an awesome kids bike, lightweight and good riding position but the offroad tyres supplied are really thin. Does anyone know what the widest tyre a Frog 62 can take? May as well go as fat as possible.
    I’ve found some tyres of varying widths – 24″ x 3.0″, 2.4″ x 2.6″ & 24″ x 2.35″.
    Just wondered if anybody else has looked into this.

allfankledup

I was rattling round on 26×1.95 tyres 10 years ago and survived.

Why does he need wide tyres? What is the problem you are trying to fix?

dabaldie
    Free Member

My daughter has a Frog 69 (26 inch wheel) and I’ve just fitted a set of scott oxyd tyres at 2.1 and they only JUST fit, there is only about 1-2mm clearance between the tyre and the chain stay on each side. Loads of clearance on the front.
    Obviously every brand has a different interpretation of their width, but id be surprised if anything wider fits without issues.

DickBarton

Daughter has the Frog 62 as well – unsure they need a really fat tyre on the bike…they are light enough to ‘float’ across stuff and anything that is manky enough to need a real big tyre isn’t going to get ridden anyway – so may as well keep the tyre narrower so it is easier to push through the slop!

Pogo
    Free Member

I was rattling round on 26×1.95 tyres 10 years ago and survived.

Why does he need wide tyres? What is the problem you are trying to fix?

Only 10 years ago, was that with stabilisers too?
    I used to ride 16″ x 3/4″ solid rubber tyres 30 years ago, I also survived.
    As to why he needs them, he doesn’t need them he just wants wider tyres because his daddy has wider tyres and his daddy rides a rigid 29er+ single speed.
    As to the problem, there is no problem. Fatter tyres just look better and give a more comfortable ride.
    These things I know becuase I’ve been riding and building bikes for 30+ years.
    Things evolve and improve….most things do, some things obviously don’t.

DickBarton

Fair enough…almost makes sense to me (as in, I’m almost in agreement with your thinking). I’ll swap the road tyres for the offroad tyres and see how that goes this coming weekend when we are out on the bikes.

Pogo
    Free Member

It looks like there’s a fair bit of clearance but you never know.
    I’ll probably get a 24″ x 2.6″ as I know that will fit up front, like dabaldie says there is plenty of clearance.
    See what it’s like on the back, if it fits I’ll get another, if not go for a 2.35″ or narrower depending on how little space there is.
    With the bike being rigid the fatter tyre up front with a bit of bounce will take some of the judder off the wrists.

strat71
    Free Member

what tyres did you guys fit to your kid’s bike in the end? My son also has a frog 62, I’d like to fit something with a bit more grip and a bit wider to help absorb some of the vibration too. Did you go for the same tyre front and rear? decent 24 inch tyres seem pretty scarce.
    The Frog is a cracking bike, my son loves his and much prefers the trigger shifters to the twisters on his mates bikes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fattest tyres for a Frog 62’ is closed to new replies.