Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Fatbikes and belt drive
  • wi29ti
    Free Member

Anybody out there use a Gates Belt Drive and Rohloff Internal Geared Hub on their fatbike? What do you think about it?

brant
    Free Member

Here’s one with drop bars. Not what you asked, but a niche all the same.

http://www.shedfire.com/2011/12/21/shiggys-fat/

wi29ti
    Free Member

Yeah, no IGH. Wondering why you posted?

How much does that frame weigh? What is the benefit of having the twin top tubes? I really don’t like drop bars and haven’t seen anyone winter riding with the drops. What type of dropouts on there? Does On One offer any sliding or rocker type dropouts so can ride it singlespeed?

brant
    Free Member

Yeah, no IGH. Wondering why you posted?

How much does that frame weigh? What is the benefit of having the twin top tubes? I really don’t like drop bars and haven’t seen anyone winter riding with the drops. What type of dropouts on there? Does On One offer any sliding or rocker type dropouts so can ride it singlespeed?

Posted as a drop bar snow bike is a niche of its own, much like a belt drive snow bike.

Frame weight is mid 4’s I think. Pounds, not kilos.
    Twin top tubes are very functional in terms of construction and also to fit a frame bag.
    Shiggy who designed it uses drops all the time.
    Those dropouts are on-one swap outs, but the horizontal swap outs don’t fit.
    The frame will only (initially) be available as a complete bike, landing on midsummers day, with 1×9 gearing, for £999.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

landing on midsummers day, with 1×9 gearing, for £999.

🙁 that long?

why not 1×10?

price looks good though!

need one tested in the alps over winter? 😉

brant
    Free Member

that long?

why not 1×10?

price looks good though!

need one tested in the alps over winter?

yes. that long.

arrive june 10
    leave may 1st
    assemble april 1st
    frame build start feb 1st.

actually even then its feeling a bit tight.

i will see if we can get to 1×10 for that price, but its quite a big jump.

wi29ti
    Free Member

999 is a good price for sure.

Belt drives and IGH’s seem to be gaining some traction.

The twins just seem like they’d add weight. Frame pack? Plenty very useable options that work well with the conventional options.
    44 headtube? Would rather do steel than aluminum, but suppose that would add some cost.

There any specs on it – angles, lengths, etc? They going to have any other tire options other than Surly?

brant
    Free Member

i will see if we can get to 1×10 for that price, but its quite a big jump.

We can do 1×10 11-36 X5.

The twins just seem like they’d add weight. Frame pack? Plenty very useable options that work well with the conventional options.
    44 headtube? Would rather do steel than aluminum, but suppose that would add some cost.

There any specs on it – angles, lengths, etc? They going to have any other tire options other than Surly?

Its a tapered head tube on the production model.
    We are looking at tyre options.
    I really like the twin top tubes. It works mechanically really well particularly around the seat tube area.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

We can do 1×10 11-36 X5.

*thumbs up*

i like the dual top tubes fwiw

brant
    Free Member

*thumbs up*

it really wasn’t going to have 1×10 until you said that.

brant
    Free Member

Belt drives and IGH’s seem to be gaining some traction.

where?

bruneep

*opens savings account.

dawson

do the belts go stiff when its cold?
    //not trolling, just wondering like..//

wi29ti
    Free Member

IGH – in the US. know some folks in Minnesota who have and/or are going that route. Also know of some desert rats doing the same.

njee20
    Free Member

Posted as a drop bar snow bike is a niche of its own, much like a belt drive snow bike so I can flog some more bikes, evidenced by the sales patter in all subsequent posts.

FTFY 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

The On One Fatbike has a 170mm rear hub spacing so Rohloff/Alfine options are going to be, err, interesting. Stick to Surly or 9:zero:7.

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

Right where do I order @brant twin tube appeal to me lots, would be nice to hear the numbers?

druidh
    Free Member

Considerably nicher than yow….

Drop bars are sooo, 2011

P1020450 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

P1020455 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

epicyclo

wi29ti – Member
    …and haven’t seen anyone winter riding with the drops…

Here’s one…

I prefer it, but I grew up with drops offroad, so I may be biased.

I’ve done a few belt drive conversions with a hubgear, and I have been very happy with the results.

I haven’t done so with a fatbike yet because belts have a few limitations. Not enough choice of cogs and a limited range of belt sizes being the main one. Also there’s not much choice of chainline with a fatbike. You can usually fudge a chain a few mm either way with spacers, but the fat tyre imposes a chainline at the outer limit of adjustment.

This is a problem even with the derailleur bikes with the wider tyres now available. Many are removing 1 or 2 cogs from their cassette so that the lower gears give a chainline far enough away to avoid tyre rub.

sofaking
    Free Member

will there be an ss (ebb or slidy) option Brant ?

myheadsashed

Brant don’t commit he same sin as Surly, have spare rims to sell……..you can’t get a clown shoe for love nor money 😳

motorman
    Free Member

Going back OT….

9zero7 will be doing these in about next 6 months 😉

motorman
    Free Member

adeward
    Free Member

Druidh I have a set of Titec j bars on my estay 29 er and struggle to get my alfine shifter in a sensible place seems the jones ones have a longer grip part

Brant any news on the longer Mary bars

motorman
    Free Member

Those dropouts are on-one swap outs, but the horizontal swap outs don’t fit.

So…. Is this another FB that needs an eccentric BB or tensioner to work an Alfine?

WTF is the rear hub spacing, I thought it was 135mm?

Finally, will a 100mm rim & BFL fit in the rear & still run 2×9 gearing.

I’m sensing while there is a lot of hype around this bike, it is falling short on the things we would like to see on a freshly designed bike?

brant
    Free Member

So…. Is this another FB that needs an eccentric BB or tensioner to work an Alfine?

WTF is the rear hub spacing, I thought it was 135mm?

Finally, will a 100mm rim & BFL fit in the rear & still run 2×9 gearing.

I’m sensing while there is a lot of hype around this bike, it is falling short on the things we would like to see on a freshly designed bike?

We are initially making complete bikes, with 1×10 gearing. Not Alfine or Singlespeed. Vertical dropouts.
    Rear hub spacing is 170mm for a dishless offset rear wheel with our hubs.
    100’s will fit in the frame, though getting 2×9 to work requires offset doubles, like Mr Whirly as I understand it. For this model, I’m not especially concerned as, it’s a complete bike, dirt oriented, snow capable and rateable, designed by Shiggy and Shaggy.

It is not out of the realms of possibility we will make “aftermarket” frames with offset 135 back ends, with maybe even offset 100mm BB’s to allow better chain line… but for now it’s a complete fatty with ’80’s we’re working on.

flashes
    Free Member

OK, I’ll save my money ’til there’s a SS version………..

motorman
    Free Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Already have complete fatty with 80’s…so nothing for me here…

So, lets get this thread back OT…bikes that will work with belt drives & Alfine 🙄 😉

Never mind snow, it it maintenance free, up to the axles in sh1te crawler i’m looking for.

If the belt line would work & be able to get low enough ratios with the alfine, it would be a good combo for this winter slop

Or conditions like these.. (Pics from MTBR)

wi29ti
    Free Member

Hey Motorman,
    What is that hub? Is it a 135mm spacing? Offset?
    Love that nice clean look.

The pics later in this post are MUDDY!

motorman
    Free Member

If your referring to the belt drive pic, I’m not sure, but I think it is a DMR singlespeed 135mm hub, laced to an offset 80mm flattop rim.

I have the same hub on the front of my bike & it looks pretty similar.

That bike is one of the 907 proto’s. One was being run S/S, the other with Alfine over the winter from their shop in Alaska. Some changes are being made & forst production run is early summer.

I also believe that Fatback is working with belt drive also.

Mud, grit & sh1te, all reasons why I would like to try out a belt drive.

But, given all the potential problems, limited frames & not being able to run 100mm rims with any of the current options, I have to ask my self are belts worth the hassle?

Moonlander with Alfine & chain ticks all my boxes at the moment, after reading about the On One earlier 😈 😛

Now, that’s more like it!!

wi29ti
    Free Member

Cool, thanks.
    Where’d you find that 907 proto pic? Sweet looking ride!

Brant, I think that the number of comments to this thing shows some interest, whether or not it’s just talk is yet to be determined.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

njee20, well put, sir, well put.

coastkid
    Free Member

Belt drive on a IGH is the way forward for beachriding on fattys, beachriding is something of course the nation is still to grasp despite us living on an Island 🙂

It should in theory be maintenance free, clean and quiet, only unsure on the exposure to salt water…

I would have ordered an One One if orders were available 6 mths ago but afraid the lunar gravity pull was too much for something a bit fatter – which i am now thinking is on the far side of the moon… 😉

I still think this bike could be a big breakthrough for fat biking here in the UK, not just for its price but being British, Brant bring one up to S.E. Scotland anytime you want for some beachriding and whisky tasting 🙂

motorman
    Free Member
    wi29ti
    Free Member

Thanks Motorman!

epicyclo

A hubgear is almost an essential for a fatbike.

motorman
    Free Member

100mm rims, belt drive, alfine….I wants 😈

Ringo
    Free Member

the centre track belts work brilliantly as well i love mine 😀

thepodge
    Free Member

I was out with two ihg belt drive bikes last night, not fat bikes but they were lovely all the same. it didn’t help my nerdy obsession

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Fatbikes and belt drive’ is closed to new replies.