Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fat tyre advice
  • peanut
    Free Member

Hi All,
    happy with my fat front- a Surly Nate on a 47mm trials rim-, but for the hopefully drier summer, could I put a Big Fat Larry on there, or is that asking too much for a 47mm wide rim? Also, any experiences of the BFL compered to Larry for trail riding?

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother, I’ve tried a BFL on my fat front Cotic, but soon took it off and put the Nate back on. I ride on dry hardpack with a layer of loose gravel on top, the BFL just washed out without warning in the corners. Much more grip from the Nate.

I’m thinking about possibly giving a Husker Du a try at some point, lighter and less aggressive than the Nate.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Normal Larry would be fine, BFL wouldn’t be any different with those rims.

I used normal Larry on a 50mm rim this weekend and although the normal WTB tyre of the back was slip sliding on the wet lakeland slate the Fat Larry on the front stuck like sh!t to a stick

druidh
    Free Member

Husker Du’s – lovin’ ’em. I can’t see what possible advantage a BFL would have – an have you checked tyre clearance?

peanut
    Free Member

Thanks guys, clearance ok up front for BFL, but point taken that prob not much advantage over normal Larry. Good to hear reports on Huker Du’s. Saw some at the Bristol bike show and yeah, looked less aggressive than Nates, but grippier than Larry. Need to check out weight differences too.

druidh
    Free Member

My Husker Du’s are about the same weight as an Endomorph – i.e. lighter than a Larry.

peanut
    Free Member

druidh- the Husker Du’s did look a bit ‘slim’ being as they were unmounted. Do they mount up and inflate to a good size compared to the Surly’s ie 4″? Don’t want to steepen the front end by having a less high volume tyre.

druidh
    Free Member

I’d say they were slightly skinnier – but then I can’t believe you’re actually being serious about head tube angles……

Run them front and rear and it will make no difference?

peanut
    Free Member

Its on a 29er/fat front only, just thought that if the total wheel/tyre diameter comes up much smaller up front, it would be like riding a 69er in reverse!

peanut
    Free Member

But yeah, maybe I am being a bit precious!

sheephills
    Free Member

hi there,
    really like the look of a fat front, are you riding them because of the ability to ride in soft areas, or / and because the suspension the huge air volume provide?

how much slower are they on the flats and up hill??

peanut
    Free Member

Using mine as a general trail bike. Gives a fair bit bit of squidge and tons of fun. Grippy too. There is a weight/drag penalty, but the fun factor if you are not a race-head is well worth it.

sheephills
    Free Member

cool, i like fun factors, and i cannot keep up with my geared friends that well anyway..

just my calculation in my head it cannot add more than a 1 kg or 1.5kg to my curret setup??

druidh
    Free Member

HD comes in around 1350 grammes.

peanut
    Free Member

sheephills- just for your info, as you are running ss aswell, I went from 34-18 to 34-20 to account for the extra weight/drag. Seems about right to me.

sheephills
    Free Member

peanut, yes ride ss, but for now only have 26″ – for my coming 29″ i had planned on riding 30-20 cause of the steep hills we have..

peanut
    Free Member

Cool, thanks druidh.
    Sheephills, thats sounds pretty low to me, but guess you just have to try it out.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

sheephills – Member
    hi there,
    really like the look of a fat front, are you riding them because of the ability to ride in soft areas, or / and because the suspension the huge air volume provide?

how much slower are they on the flats and up hill??

Forget it for snow and sand fat fronts are fine but normal rear wheels will just sink in, get a full fat bike for snow or sand not a half fat.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fat tyre advice’ is closed to new replies.