Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Fat Scandal
  • coastkid
    Free Member

grum – Member

BUT WHY?!

Because custom made rigid steel fixie mountain bikes with mary bars just aren't niche enough any more. It would appear fat bikes are the very latest thing in niche.
    its the areas you can go go thats actually niche 😮

epicyclo

I can ride all but a few metres of the StrathPuffer course on my fixie with 32mm tyres. Doesn't mean it's the most suitable bike for the job.

It is much easier with fat tyre – it just rolls over everything. You know when you're climbing slowly on a steep rocky bit and you hit one of those little rocks that stops you dead – with the fat wheel you just go over it. No need to carefully pick a line because the fat wheel will go where you point it.

coastkid
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

Still got to say I don't get it. I've yet to find anything other than 8" plus of snow that I can't ride on a normal bike with normal 2.3s?

once he has fat tyre`s front and back you will get it 😉
    you wont cycle out here easy on a reg bike 😮 nope just grind to a halt

or places like here in winter without causing damage 😉

and a regular bike dont float either 😆

epicyclo

Coastkid – how about you put up a link to your videos so the sceptics can see what they're missing out on

trail_rat
    Free Member

was coastkids vids that inspired me to like them – i didnt see the point till very recently !

i can see them being good for quite a few of the trails i ride that have large sections of hikebike due to a little rain or the local trails that follow waterways 😉

coastkid
    Free Member
    mangatank
    Free Member

:-0

I find you guilty of crimes against ScandALs.

License is hereby revoked.

grumm
    Free Member

No need to carefully pick a line because the fat wheel will go where you point it.

Skill compensator? 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Try 8.5psi – works for me – anything over 9, I find it's too bouncy. Under and it's too wandery…. anyway that's how I find it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

Still got to say I don't get it. I've yet to find anything other than 8" plus of snow that I can't ride on a normal bike with normal 2.3s?

LOL that's the best I've heard. Was that confined to your dreams?

epicyclo

grum – Member
    Skill compensator?

Sure. I prefer unthinkingly riding my bike to places with great scenery to congratulating myself on how gnarly dudeish I am.

If I wanted to demonstrate my skills I'd ride the penny farthing – now there's a big wheel 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

Try 8.5psi – works for me – anything over 9, I find it's too bouncy. Under and it's too wandery

No you're wrong. Everyone knows that 7.632 psi is the optimum, which should be adjusted by .267psi up or down for every kilo if you are over or under 80.4kg. Also increase by 0.015psi if the pollen count is high.

Woody
    Free Member

Only joking 😉

Out of interest what do you use to check your psi as any I've tried on pumps are wildly inaccurate?

singlespeedstu

Out of interest what do you use to check your psi

You mean you can't tell 7.632 PSI with the squeeze test.

Pah you are a tyre pressure amature and no mistake.

Woody
    Free Member

You mean you can't tell 7.632 PSI with the squeeze test.

Course I can but just occassionally I get fooled by manufacturers changing the tpi on the same model tyre.

singlespeedstu

I know what you mean i sometimes have to adjust my squeeze to compensate for ambient temperature and altitude.

epicyclo

I reckon the squeeze test will probably be good enough rather than needing to put a pressure gauge on it.

Of course I'll carry a thermometer, barometer, and humidity meter so I can allow for variables. 🙂

Tiger6791

I notice on the photos the bar tape doesn't quite cover the bars, did you get it from CRC?

coastkid
    Free Member

with a fat marge rim you just put some foot pressure on the rim to check the spread 😉 :mrgreen:

epicyclo

Tiger6791 – Member
    I notice on the photos the bar tape doesn't quite cover the bars…

I don't use bar tape – those are grips. I never use the centre of the bar so I don't cover it. So CRC are in the clear 🙂

jon_on-one
    Free Member

Hey up epicyclo… We like your bike in the On-One office. How do you feel about us doing a little blog on it? 10/10 for individuality… Drop me a line at jon@planet-x-bikes.com. Cheers!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Fat Scandal’ is closed to new replies.