Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Fat bloke up a mountain….almost.
  • ton

manage to nearly get up Helvellyn yesterday, but was defeated by the wind.
    views were nice, top was covered in low cloud.
    1 good thing came out of the trip……the realisation that i no longer have the skill, desire or fitness to try and keep getting up mountains.
    pastures new i think now.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wb9hXc]DSCN0087[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vdSC2t]DSCN0095[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vdHYAy]DSCN0099[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vTfyBX]DSCN0102[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/waK2wc]DSCN0104[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vdSyqF]DSCN0089[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vTedna]DSCN0096[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

robowns
    Free Member

You say that mate, but everyone says that after a grueling ride. Give it a week 🙂

m360
    Free Member

It was tough in the wind yesterday, and we all have rubbish days.

saying that, if it’s an ongoing problem then maybe best to walk away. You can always come back (I sometimes do, had over a year off not so long ago but SO glad I didn’t sell the bike).

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Never mind that what was on the butty

ton

Never mind that what was on the butty

chopped pork, onion and cheese. 8)

cinnamon_girl

You can only do the type of riding that makes you smile. Don’t beat yourself up ton, you’ve recovered so well after poor health so just do what’s right for you.

Stonking views in those pics though, they were well and truly earned!

simondbarnes

Nice pics. Good work 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thought you’d sold that bike Ton?

Wish I’d been with you rather than being at work!

*A shitty day on the bike is better than an awesome day at work*

(but there’s no such thing as an awesome day at work)

matt_outandabout

Ace, hill days are always worth it. You were bloomin close!

singlecrack
    Free Member

With a view like that ..How can you not have the desire. …..The fitness will follow

Drac

You got to the top of Helvellyn I think you did just grand.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If the ride was fun it does not matter its tooeasy to become obsessed with the destination when its the journey that counts. What guards are those they look tidy for full sus.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I’m prone to getting a bit emotional on the bike. Last week in Torridon I had a totally unfair OTB, hurt my hand and for about an hour decided that I was giving up mtb’ing, I was in a massive huff. Then did a totally awesome descent which I loved, and managed ok, and felt like the cock o’ the walk.

Then two days later I did an Applecross cross country out and back. On the way out I bottled a couple of rocky chutes and was full of self-loathing, decided I was giving up mtb’ing (are you spotting a pattern yet?), but on the way back successfully sessioned and cleared them, confidence restored.

Yes, I need to get a grip.

ElShalimo

Great photos Ton
    What’s that jacket? It looks nice and bright

transporter13
    Free Member

Sterling effort there Ton.
    Dont give up now…look at where you were a year ago….think about doing it again in 3-6 months.

ton

What guards are those they look tidy for full sus.

they are mudhuggers front and rear. nice and tidy too.

What’s that jacket? It looks nice and bright

jacket is a Showers Pass double century. very light, not sweaty, and very waterproof.

jekkyl

If you managed it to the top of Kepple cove then you probably still had a blast descending it. Nice n fast and over in 10 minutes that which took you and hour and a half to climb?

ton

took me 2 hours to get up. and maybe 45 mins down, i was faffing taking pictures.

think i am gonna ride cross fell next week and see how i fair.

ElShalimo

Ton – its all relative. I can’t even walk up hills at the moment cos my knee is knackered. 3 months of physio and only slight improvement, no idea when it’ll improve or when I can get back on the bike
    I’m very jealous of your fab day out on Helvellyn even if it was a bit of a slog

Esme
    Free Member

Ton, as your photos clearly show, you have the rare ability to ENJOY whatever sort of riding you’re doing, whether that’s a canal towpath or a gnarly descent, in good health or poor.

Truly an inspiration (especially to Elderly Gentlewomen 😀 )

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve never been to the top of helvellen, so you’re better than me, don’t give up you’ll regret it and you will no longer be the inspiration for others because now I realise I want to get to the summit too

granny_ring

Nice pics ton, well apart from the last one. 🙂

fullofit
    Free Member

Ahhhh Crossfell ride , isnt that where you vowed to pack in mountain biking for good !!!! . Looking good owd cock .

Sanny
    Free Member

It’s not the destination but the journey that matters! Top effort sir! I was inspired by your pics to do Sticks Pass and Helvellyn yesterday. I nearly got blown off at the top. Great day out though so cheers for reminding me of Lakes awesomeness! 😀

ton

cheers all. my mood has lifted. big bike is no longer for sale… 😳

and DHD you and fanial are invited to crossfell if you fancy.. 😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

All looks grand to me Ton! You can’t get to the top of all mountains- I do between 10 and 20 a year and usually have to turn back twice because of the weather. Provided you enjoy whatever amount of descent you do then it’s a success! It does take a while to get into big mountain descending, especially riding solo where it’s easier to wimp out of stuff. Get a few more done and they’ll all be great.

2 hours isn’t slow for getting up there that way. I think you should be happy with what you’ve done. There are easier mountains to go up than Helvellyn so although it was hard for you it’ll be hard for anyone.

warns74
    Free Member

Hi Ton, serious question….

I’m regularly tempted by the idea of the Enduro 29 and also being a big bloke (been riding XL Spesh bikes for years) have been interested in your recent posts about whether it’s too much bike, or the right bike etc and then saw you’d put it up for sale.

Can I ask what conclusions you’ve drawn from your time with this bike? If you were in a position to buy this again what do you think you would do? Does it fit the criteria of an all-round full suss trail bike or would you go for something else?

Cheers

(PS. great pictures by the way!)

ton

warns, if I was just riding in lakes type terrain, big and rocky, then I would deffo buy the enduro again. it is a proper solid bit of kit. big rocky descents are no problem on it. it came 1 x 10 which is rubbish imho. I have since fitted a 22 inner, and climbs can be ground up.
    but as a general allround mtb, I would look elsewhere. 130mm front and rear would be nice if anyone made a tough one.

blokes weighing nearly 20 stone put a hell of a lot of stress on a bike, probably more than a harder riding lighter bloke. this is one of the reasons I bought such a big bike.

beano68
    Free Member

Grand effort that ton 😀

Love my Enduro 29er .. it can go anywhere.

granny_ring

130mm front and rear would be nice if anyone made a tough one.

Santa Cruz Tallboy LT ton, does that fit the tough enough camp….?
    Bought my frame 2nd hand and not been able to try it out properly yet but hoping it will be an all rounder……
    Medium frame weighs around 6 1/2lb I think and the build comes in at a tad over 29lb

lowey

Good lad!

warns74
    Free Member

warns, if I was just riding in lakes type terrain, big and rocky, then I would deffo buy the enduro again. it is a proper solid bit of kit. big rocky descents are no problem on it. it came 1 x 10 which is rubbish imho. I have since fitted a 22 inner, and climbs can be ground up.
    but as a general allround mtb, I would look elsewhere. 130mm front and rear would be nice if anyone made a tough one.

blokes weighing nearly 20 stone put a hell of a lot of stress on a bike, probably more than a harder riding lighter bloke. this is one of the reasons I bought such a big bike.

Thanks for the feedback, I think you’ve probably echoed the little voice in the back of my head that says it would be a great “big day out” or Alps bike but for most of the riding I do would probably be a little bit of overkill.
    Still keen to have a go on one some day!

ton

come and borrow mine.

adsh
    Free Member

Can I afford the diesel to get up to the Lakes? I have the time, am fit and looking at that just so want to get exploring!

Sorry to hear you had a bad day. Hope things improve!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Slight thread deviation, how long does it take to get up there, how does it compare to Snowdon? Will be spending a day at Whinlatter and fancy a go at helvellyn whilst I’m up there. I’m fit enough to do the beast of brenin and snowdon in a day, altura plus helvellyn can’t be much worse can it?

ton

took me about 2 hours to get up, this included taking the wrong path, i found myself heading up towards swirrel edge, so i yomped down a gully and across the beck.
    if i was a fit young man, i reckon 1 hr 30 mins to the top would be achievable.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Cheers ton, if that was a bad ride up there and you’re grinning like that I might give it a shot! Looks ace.

Kahurangi

Fab stuff ton, getting up mountains is ace 8)

badbob
    Free Member

just have fun, its not a race!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Fat bloke up a mountain….almost.’ is closed to new replies.