• This topic has 24 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by adi66.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fat bikes….Felt Double Dee 70 or On One fatty…which ??
  • cheekyget
    Free Member

Hi all
    Well my quest for a fat bike is nearing the end ….and after riding one yesterday …..I want to be FAT!!…lol

So I’ve narrowed it down to 2 bikes ….Felt Double Dee 70 or the On One Fatty

Which would you choose?…..has anyone had a ride on both??…positives , negatives on either
    Thanks

rOcKeTdOg

Fatty is great on trails & I’ve even done 45 mile road rides on it so it’s a great all rounder. Can’t speak for the Felt though

Matt_SS_xc

No ridden the on one, I bought the felt, think it looks nicer, internal cable routing is smart, forks look beefier.
    Cable discs weren’t an issue as I would have swapped the avids for something that works if I had bought the on one.
    There isn’t much stock around of the felt though I don’t think…..my lbs said stock was gone for the year and merlin said myself and gf bought the last 2 they had…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a fatty and it rocks my socks.

However it does have a few issues.
    1) its not light
    2) its a pain to get tubeless if it works at all
    3) GXP cranks (top hat falling out seems a common issue, solved by adding a spacer or putting a zip tie on the axle).

Having said that I’ve not ridden a felt and the ride of the fatty is brilliant and thats the most important thing, and once past the teething stage its been faultless for 100’s of miles.

The avid brakes have been fine, IMO avid had QC issues for a few years, when juicys and elixirs work they were fantastic brakes, when they worked! My last 3 bikes have all had avid brakes and their reliability is definately on the up.

wiggles
    Free Member

Specialized Fatboy in the sales.

hilldodger
    Free Member

From what I’ve seen pretty much all the low-end (ie sub £1500) fat bikes seem to be a mismatch of components you wouldn’t let near your bike normally.
    Maybe it is the way to go though, just consider it as a cheap laugh bike and not worth spending serious cash on ??

divenwob
    Free Member

Just waiting for one of these to be delivered
    Added a set of Bluto’s and a Reverb for less than £1400 8)
    So more like this

cheekyget
    Free Member

Cheers guys
    I was thinking of upgrading the forks on the fatty to carbon….does it make a difference ??
    And if I went for the felt…..I would probaly upgrade the brakes too……ATM …I’m more swayed to the Fatty……but I do like the internal cabling on the Felt!!…..lol

phil56

Divenwob – looks nice, what is it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maybe it is the way to go though, just consider it as a cheap laugh bike and not worth spending serious cash on ??

I think that’s a bit harsh. The Fatty is £999 with a carbon fork, X5 groupset, and some sort of OEM Elixir brakes. Looking at ‘normal’ bikes in the same price range a Specilized rockhoper Pro is pretty much the same sort of spec apart from a bottom drawer RockShox XC32 TK fork.

It’s pretty good for £1k regardless of wheel size. Fat bikes will always seem like poor value, but the tyres frequently cost more than a low end suspension fork (Specialized ground control 4.6 being the worst offender, £180 of tyres on a £1k bike!).

I’ve ‘upgraded’ my mech and shifter to SLX and fitted a single chainring up front. But those are a personal preference and things I had in my spares, not upgrades.

Unless you’re seriously loaded £1.5k is definitely not “cheap” it’s definitely “serious cash”.

cheekyget – Member

Cheers guys
    I was thinking of upgrading the forks on the fatty to carbon….does it make a difference ??
    And if I went for the felt…..I would probaly upgrade the brakes too……ATM …I’m more swayed to the Fatty……but I do like the internal cabling on the Felt!!…..lol

I’ve no idea, I got the carbon fatty fork to start with. TBH if I was buying again I’d get a Bluto, it adds a chunk of weight but a lot of rigid bikes had 135mm front hubs which makes upgrading difficult. 6/half dozen though as I noticed the difference losing 100g swaping to carbon bars made, so 1.5kg extra of fork would be very noticeable (but then you’ve got the springiness to help get the front wheel up).

I’d not worry about spec snobbery, even the cables on the Fatty were pretty decent, swapped to SP41 (again, I had it spare and was swapping the mech anyway) and the shifting actually got worse!

I really like the look of the Canyon Dude but it looks like the 2 sizes are really M and XL, so fine if you’re short or really tall, but no so good at 6ft. I’ve got a 20″ Fatty and FWIW the top tube is perfect (lower headtube and seatube would be nice though).

divenwob
    Free Member

@phil56, it is The Tusker 1 from Rose bikes, I looked around for a while and found the base model came in at £952 + delivery. Only real negatives as far as I can see are 1x only and 170mm rear end restricts use of full fat tyres.Have a look at the configurator in the link as you can adapt quite a bit,they do a Tusker 2 with higher end kit to start with.
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-the-tusker-1-26-2015/aid:751674
    Sorry for the sidetrack op! 🙂

cheekyget
    Free Member

Whoa!!…..now that Tusker looks the nutz!!……great price too….the only prob is they only do M or L …and I’m 5,6″
    I need a 16″ frame…..what is the size of the M frame,??

divenwob
    Free Member

CG have a chat to the UK Rep Finlay his number is on their contact page.

akira

CG, the fatty steel fork is pretty heavy, if you get one the carbon fork upgrade is a no brained. Looks a lot nicer too.

epicyclo

Tyre and rim combination make more difference between fatbikes than any other feature of them. IMO (I have had a few fatbikes and ridden many others)

And tyres are easily replaceable. 🙂

johnnystorm

Definately go for the carbon fork. That, and swapping out the innertubes for Schwalbe SV13 will save multiple lbs in weight from the bike. Pleased to say the Avid brakes have been fine on mine as well and the new X5 is way nicer than from a couple of years back. The new fatties come with thru-axle adaptors for the wheels should you decide to go for a Bluto.

kuman
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware Fatty now comes with carbon forks as standard.

MadBillMcMad

whether standard or not definitley get the carbon fork – very pleaseed with mine.

Struggled with proper tubeless but ghetto method is fine.

Love my fatty – can’t speak for other bikes, but I would consider the Dude if money allowed.

Trail/distance wise I am riding futher than ever done on any other bike – can’t really explain why. Did a 60 miler off road in the Dales the other week.

Loving it, & 9 months in so definitely out of the honeymoon period.

andyjh

I have a OO Fatty with the carbon forks and love it. I mainly used it as a winter bike for low maintenance and keep the crap out of my full sus bearings. Did this job very well and added a load of fun to my winter riding. Weight wise it’s lighter than my Orange Five! So I would say the weight isn’t too bad, what you notice is the tyre drag more than weight. I still have Nates on mine and I really need to stop them out for something with less rolling resistance.

Most of the kit is fairly good to be honest although I’ve upgraded a fair bit to stuff I like. The only components I’m not sold on are the standard wheels. The ribs are a pig to get tyres to seat properly and the freehub has failed for a lot of people. If funds allow I will replace the wheels before next winter.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Gutted…just talked to Finley @ rose UK ……all the tuskers are sold out for the season..not expecting any till January 2016!!!!…….might have to go for the on one now!!

divenwob
    Free Member

Ah bugger! I would have gone for the Fatty if I had not seen the Tusker, you will get plenty of gears. 😆

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Voodoo Wazoo £500 from Halfords (£450 with BC discount), if you like it you could upgrade to carbon fork and better gears and brakes and still come in under the price of the On One.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I built my oo from a rolling chassis then added way to many expensive parts and ended up with a bike that looks good and rides very well as a trail bike. If you don’t particularly like the white and orange there are plenty of different coloured decal kits out there . Mine is now totally white with green bits and bobs and I think it looks great . They ride really well the oo but I’ve also tried a Farley 6 which was as good to ride IMHO.

dab

I started my OO fatty as frame & carbon fork
    Halo tundra rims / hope hubs , xt drivetrain & brakes

Bit over the 1k but worth it to get a solid machine with serviceable parts
    It’s lighter than you’d think, rides really well too

The frame / carbon fork are a good starting point

I’d love a nicolai or a 907 but they’re out my budget

adi66
    Free Member

Ftd3chris : any chance of a link to the place you got replacement decals for your OO fatty from ?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fat bikes….Felt Double Dee 70 or On One fatty…which ??’ is closed to new replies.