Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fat bikes for bigger rides?
  • vincienup
    Free Member

I’m reasonably persuaded of the trailworthiness of Fat as a concept – depending on the build, but while I’ve seen pics all over Alpkit and such of them plastered in framebags and stuff, how suited actually are they for bigger gentle rides like a 3 day c2c?

Would that larger contact patch that makes all the lovely traction not become a royal PITA to keep rolling?

Schweiz
    Free Member

For a given effort, you will be slower on a fat bike (except for a few very specific applications which most fatbikes will see rarely or never see)

How much slower depends on the specific bike, tyres and terrain. For me, on a Moonlander with 4.8″ tyres, I estimate a 10-25% disadvantage.

Riding fat requires a specific mindset. It will only be a “royal PITA” if you expect to be moving the same speed as your 10kg hardtail with 2.1″ skinny tyres.

rickmeister

maybe scotroutes will be along soon, he rides his fatbikea fair bit on days and overnights.

Im not finding mine slower than my mates who i ride with. With the tyre on, its effectively a 29 er and can cover ground surprisingly easily.

Its also comfy for longer days as well.

scotroutes

I’ve been bikepacking with mine. On the right surfaces it’s no slower than a 29er and is usually comfier over long distances. You just need to work out how much of your journey will benefit, how much of it will be harder and then workout where the balance lies. FWIW, they are rubbish at river crossings.

Edit- posted while Rick was typing 🙂

cozz
    Free Member

i did coast to coast on a pugsley, fitted 2.5 maxxis hookworms, rolled well enough

boltonjon

They’re brill at everything – especially bike packing 🙂

scotroutes – why are they rubbish at river crossings? I’ve done a few and didn’t seem to difficult?

riddoch

In my experience gearing/fitness is probably key. I’ve got a relatively heavy build and after three or four hours gearing that was fine on a 90 minute blast started to make any sort of long climb a challenge.

epicyclo

boltonjon – Member
    … why are they rubbish at river crossings?…

Depends how deep the river. Basically you have a mini inflatable dinghy at each end of your bike and that much abused term ‘floatation’ becomes a reality.

scotroutes

Yep. Larger tyre profile catches the flow more than a skinny tyre – and then it wants to float away.

I should add that we’re talking proper wading here, not splashing through a wee burn.

To the OP – tyre choice is as important as ever. Nates will be hard work. Husker Du’s less so.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/e1HthU]P1050319[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

rickmeister

Like Riddoch says, weight can be a problem but there is no need for a heavy build… some good and reliable carbon stuff seems to be coming out of China now. Like river crossings with the bigger tyres, windy days can be interesting too…

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Wow, Scotroutes that looks amazing! I’ve always wanted to go bikepacking on my Fatties (Mukluk and ECR!), whereabouts did you go? 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fat bikes for bigger rides?’ is closed to new replies.