Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Fat Bikers, er I mean Fat Bike Riders, those running tubes
  • flashinthepan
    Free Member

I’ve recently joined the club.

Still running with tubes, not had a puncture yet. But sooner or later.

I always carry a spare tube whatever I’m riding and a couple of those little CO2 bottles and a valve thingy. Sometimes I take a (very) small pump.

How many CO2 cannisters does it take to fill a 4″ tyre to 5 psi? Presumably the mini pump is just masochism with a fat tyre?

What do you guys carry?

scotroutes

A Topeak Mountain Morph

psycorp
    Free Member

The On One version of the morph. Used it to inflate a floater on the trail and it’s not as bad as you might expect.

rOcKeTdOg

Lezyne mini track pump

tomhoward

I’m not strong enough to lift a spare tube, so I don’t bother.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I have a Lezyne mini track pump, takes about 500 strokes 8) and 15minutes 😉

tillydog
    Free Member

How many CO2 cannisters does it take to fill a 4″ tyre to 5 psi?

About 16 grammes worth, in theory… I think!

wwaswas

One thing with CO2 – if your tyres are at all loose on the rim then get them seated using a pump before you use the cannister.

I tried with on-one floater tyres on their rims and the force of the tube expanding just blew the tyre off the rim so you had to let all the CO2 out to be able to reseat it.

And repeat until you run out of CO2 and your mates are all peeing themselves…

monkeyboyjc

I carry a pump

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

tubed here, only a couple of punctures in 18 months and used a Lezyne midi pump and now carry 16gm co2 along with a spare 2.4/3.0 specialzed tube, easy enough to do

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve played Russian Roulette with all my bikes for years, not taking anything besides a multi-tool and that’s if I remember! I probably haven’t ridden as much as a lot of you , by time in the saddle or distance, but my last puncture was something like ~10 years ago. 😯

whitestone
    Free Member

Topeak Mountain Morph

wwaswas

I’ve played Russian Roulette with all my bikes for years, not taking anything besides a multi-tool and that’s if I remember

We ride with a bloke like that.

He owes everyone at least one tube 😉

rocketman
    Free Member

Presumably the mini pump is just masochism with a fat tyre?

~150 strokes with my Lezyne Alloy Drive inflates a 4.8″ tube to about 5 psi

scud
    Free Member

Mountain Morph here, but instead of faffing with tubeless, i run the lightest Schwalbe Downhill tubes i could find with Stans Fluid in the tube, same weight as running tubeless.

mountainman

Does running Tubeless really save that much weight relative to speed gain ?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m led to believe that tubeless is not about weight savings, it’s about eliminating snakebite punctures and relatively minor carcass punctures spoiling your ride, while also reducing rolling resistance.

One day this year, I hopefully might get around to trying it, but I have other pressing non-essential bike matters like getting a carbon fork on my bike instead of gathering more dust like it has for months!

roverpig

Can’t really help as I’ve only had mine since May 🙂 That’s 600 miles and counting on rocky ground without a puncture. Talk about tempting fate. Running tubeless, but there is a tube and a mountain morph in the bag for when my luck runs out.

wwaswas

I’m led to believe that tubeless is not about weight savings

I saved 5lb on bike weight switching rims, tyres and dropping tubes. That’s a *lot* of rotating mass not to have to accelerate out of every corner.

Even just dropping tubes is at least a 1-1.5lb on it’s own.

Northwind

Truflo 2-stage telescopic pump for me. But reinflating fat tyres is a pain in the cock regardless.

It took me 3 little cans of CO2 to inflate a 4.8 but it didn’t pop onto the bead- usually with a pump I overinflate til it pops then deflate a little. But the other thing was, 3 cans froze everything like it’d been in deep space, I actualyl snapped a valve in half trying to unstick the valve core.

rOcKeTdOg

ok, who’s going to link to the scientific study of rolling resistance with and without tubes?

edit: me http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/fat-bike-tubeless-vs-tubes

In my opinion, tubeless is a necessity on fat bikes if you value speed. Simply taking out the inner tube will save you 15 watts for a pair of tires at an air pressure of 8 psi / 0.55 bars. When you ride at even lower air pressures like 6 psi / 0.4 bars, you end up wasting 20 watts of valuable power in the tires. When you consider that an average cyclist power output will be somewhere around 200 – 250 Watts, it means you could gain an extra 10% of usable power quite easily.

scotroutes

I know, I know. I’ve been promising myself I’d set mine up tubeless, for that reason only. I’ve just not got around to it yet 😳

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

^^^ Not just me then! 😯

bedmaker

Another mountain morph carrier here.

Also, the weight loss going tubeless is just a minor, but welcome, bonus.

Northwind

I just did a quick post earlier but seriously, Truflo minitrack 2 stage telescopic- it’s what mountain morphs want to be when they grow up. Better made, costs about the same, and in telescopic mode shifts way more air. I think it’s a wee bit longer, from memory, but it’s the same sort of ballpark size.

The chuck is a bit fiddly (though still better than lezyne) and the gauge useless for fatbikes (but most competitors don’t have a gauge), that’s all I can say against it.

andyjh

This is what put me off my Fatbike in the end, lack of tubeless. So many punctures when the local farmers did all their hedge maintenance, hawthorns everywhere! I have the OnOne Fatty and although it’s a great bike the wheels are a pain in the butt to setup tubeless. One ride where I ended up using all my spare tubes and walking home and it’s not got used since 🙁

tymbian
    Free Member

Your title needs a hypen.

Other than that I’ve nothing to add.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

First fatty flatty yesterday couldn’t budge the bead with frozen hands so called for a wifey rescue

accu
    Free Member
    flashinthepan
    Free Member

Just for tymbian and any other pedants.

Of course, it should be titled ‘Fat-Bike Riders’

Thanks for all the imput guys

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Fat Bikers, er I mean Fat Bike Riders, those running tubes’ is closed to new replies.