Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fat bike ponderings
  • ljs1977
    Free Member

Hi

I have been tempted by the Fat side!

The thought of a relatively simple bike with no “what tyre” issues, no which bike shall I take for this type of riding etc issues attracts me.

Whilst I appreciate it is not a downhill rig, XC race machine I am thinking about one for the Derbyshire dales, peaks etc as a bit of a go anywhere sort of bike. Pack up – 20-40 miles come home happy.

Is this a silly idea? I am also thinking of making this my only bike.

Now that I have looked into FB’s more, I now realise that it is not that easy.

What size back end, tyre size, standard equiptment or not, will it take + size wheels and tyres too?

Is it too early to get on the FB train? will they be going 27.5, 29″ rims?

Advice, thoughts or comments.

SidewaysTim

Don’t overthink it. Have a look at a few, pick one you like, buy it and use it. Even if you end up hating it, at least you will get a large chunk back selling it on.

Fat bikes are like every other bike, they will all do what you want to and a lot more – it’s down to the rider to make the magic happen though.

CheesybeanZ

Borrow or hire one , have look at 29er plus – stooge looks luvly.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Get one, they’re really rather good. The main downside is that they make your other bikes feel really quite weird. My on-one Fatty only feels heavy when chucking it over gates and stuff. It isn’t noticeably harder work than my hard tail, it climbs brilliantly and is a laugh going down (but can be a little unruly).

Here’s a bit of a bargain –
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOFATLTD/on-one-fatty-limited-edition-fat-bike

Get a pair of proper tyres for £30 each, and maybe the carbon fork, and you’re all set

Edit… the on one inner tubes weigh a *lot*. Drilling the rims and getting light tubes will make the experience even more agreeable

frood
    Free Member

This:

Edit… the on one inner tubes weigh a *lot*. Drilling the rims and getting light tubes will make the experience even more agreeable

weighed one… 580g. Looking forward to trying out the Schwalbe Jumbo Jims. 990g per tyre! 🙂

As above… try a couple out, see what you like and just enjoy riding.

Bagstard
    Free Member

If you ride fast rocky trails get one with a Bluto on the front, it is still a rigid bike. For autumn woodland trails mine is a lot of fun, also on anything sandy, smooth jumps etc. When it gets really fast and rocky you risk pinch flats, I really need to get mine running tubeless, but that is another faff to deal with.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Never had a pinch flat on mine and I’m running thin tubes with low pressures on some fairly rocky terrain. And I’m no whippet.

rOcKeTdOg

Where are you? There’s bound to be someone with a fatty near u, 2 weeks ago there were non by me, now there are three!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The fact you use the word ‘ponderings’ suggests to me that you and fat bikes deserve each other.

akira

Cranks and bb pretty weighty too, raceface do some decent ones for not stupid money.

Bagstard
    Free Member

mrbelowski, it is only a matter of time then surely? I have no confidence with lightweight tubes now, I’m not excessively heavy and would consider myself a reasonably smooth rider, two blow outs in a month for me.With the tyres being so big it is a nightmare to flat on the trail, it takes about a week with a mini pump!

scotroutes

I’ve been using Specialized 2.5 – 3.0″ tubes for the past 3 years with zero pinchflats.

Mountain Morph is what you want….

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Maybe it is a matter of time, but it’s not happened yet. I did have a massive lump of slate crash through the tread into the tube last week on a cold wet night in the woods. Getting any ridable pressure into fat tyres with a mini-pump is a fcking miserable experience. Getting enough pressure for bead to pop into place is just impossible. Lesson learned, Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV Mini Pump in the way.

ljs1977 – you can have a bezz on mine if you like. I’m in Loughborough.

rickmeister

Have a good look at

http://www.icanbikes.com/

All the really expensive bits, frame, fork, wheelset at great prices and in carbon. Getting good reviews as a company to deal with.

Can be found on ebay but cost a little more.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike ponderings’ is closed to new replies.