• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DaveE.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fat bike help please!
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

Anyone out there with a solution to keeping on one floaters to sit in the bead on their rim?
    I can get them to pop on with lots of pumping nut as soon as I let the air out they come out the bead slightly making the wheels jump when rotating?
    Driving me mad!
    Anyone who can help? Thanks

treklee
    Free Member

Gorilla tape on the rim?

pimpmyride
    Free Member

I’m listening, how does the stop the tyres coming out the bead seat?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Once a tyre has “set” onto the rim incorrectly. it’s tough to impossible to correct it.

scotroutes

Some folk have been using thin foam to fill the space between the beads. I guess the trick is to leave a wee gap between the edge of the foam and the rim so that the bead of the tyre sits in it.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Are you meaning initially getting it to seat or going tubeless?

igm

If you work it out let me know. I can’t get mine to seat either.

johnnystorm

Mine were the same, get to 16mph and it was like a bucking bronco. I used either Meguiars gold class liquid car wax or bead lube (like very soft soap) to get them in place. Think I pumped them up to 40psi until they pinged and left overnight. Good news is they stayed put!

fd3chris
    Free Member

Mine were the same if you don’t mean tubeless. It’s an easy fix. Pump up to at least 35-40 psi and they will seat into the rim either straight away or in a few hours.

crispyrice

Tried for hours to set mine up tubeless, I have a compressor too! In the end I just got light weight tubes. Let’s face it what difference is a few hundred grams going to make on a Fatty….

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Fd3chris, what I mean is, I pump them to to 50 psi! I know sounds crazy, then they pop in to place nicely, then let them down to desired pressure and about 10 inches along one side the bead just sinks back in! Cant even ride the darn thing, gutted! So will leaving them over night help? I’ve drilled the rims surely that’s not causing an issue is it?

igm

Well my i drilled OnOne rims and tyres (VR Missions to be fair) do exactly that too.

Candodavid
    Free Member

I used car tyre bead seating soap for my fat wheels, cured the problem straight away

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Candodavid, how did you stop them sinking in to the rim when letting air out to desired pressure? I can get them to seat fine but as soon as I try to get them to around 10psi some of thebtire sinks back past the bead seat.

Candodavid
    Free Member

I used a layer of closed cell foam, taped down with gorilla tape to help reduce the gap, and I left them at a high pressure for a few day so it would set nicely, I’m down to 7psi now

DaveE

Candodavid do you know what size foam you used ?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike help please!’ is closed to new replies.