• This topic has 49 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • faster on a hardtail?
  • muddyground
    Free Member

Anybody else faster on their old hardtail crocks than the new all singing full susser? Does it mean I’ve fudged all the shock settings up??

Rorschach
    Free Member

Depends.

Simon

As above, depends, but generally no.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

up, sometimes
    down, sometimes
    across, sometimes

hope this helps

swamptin
    Free Member

I would say no. For a start if it’s really new you’re likely not used to it and it’s quirks. Certainly not as used to it as the old warhorse that’s been in the shed for half a decade. Could mean your trying to ride the exact same lines though, which would be foolish. Full bounces are made to blast through stuff you pick a knacky fast-ish smooth line on a hardtail. If you’re around the right sag/air pressure then the bike is right. You’ll learn it and get faster over time.

wrecker
    Free Member

Depends on the trail. After years on a FS, there isn’t a lot in it for me unless I’m on a really rough trail with limited launch points.
    I feel it most “along” as I can’t sit and pedal through like I could on the FS.

mattjg
    Free Member

Absolutely not. Recently went from a trail 29er HT to a trail 29er mid-travel FS. It’s a non un-reasonable like-for-like. The FS is indisputably faster when pointed up, blatting along, or pointed down. The HT is not even close.

The only caveat is this is in recent dry conditions, perhaps it’ll change with the onset of leaf mulch season. We’ll see.

dyls

Im faster on my xtc29 than the anthem 29, except for rougher stuff.

onewheelgood

I’m faster on my XTC 27.5 than on my Anthem 26er pretty much everywhere – uphill, along, but most noticeably downhill. Which is not what I was led to expect.

Mugboo

Probably not but as an example, I prefer to ride Lee/Cragg Quarry on my HT, all those grunty climbs seem easier and the rest is oddly smooth considering…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Kulhavy does’nt agree.

cumberlandsausage
    Free Member

my hardtail ‘feels’ faster, and is therefore more fun. My riding buddy assures me that my full suss is faster though.

I’d rather feel fast at slow speeds, then feel slow at medium(realistically) speeds

funkrodent

Strava?

My take on this is that hardtails can be quicker when you’re riding trail centre type trails (usually at a trail centre). Particularly if there’s lots of rollers and little compressions as the hardtail springs out when you’re pumping it, whereas the suspension on the FS soaks up some of the energy. I try to counter this by running high pressure in the rear shock

On rough terrain however, like the Peaks where I was riding today, the FS is indisputably faster.

That said the high pressure in the rear shock made descending Jacobs quite interesting 😐

z1ppy

Absolutely not. Recently went from a trail 29er HT to a trail 29er mid-travel FS. It’s a non un-reasonable like-for-like. The FS is indisputably faster when pointed up, blatting along, or pointed down.

+1, which I hadn’t expected on the up’s & though we’re talking only seconds, I hadn’t been trying to ‘get’ a faster time

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m faster on my hardtail until my legs get tired.

eulach

I was faster on my hardtail until my legs joints got tired.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

My 29er hardtail is faster around the chase than my 160 AM rig but the AM rig gets down the rocky trails in the peaks way faster.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Proper rocky DH stuff (big rocks not gravel paths with no smooth opt out lines) unless you are at the top of your game on a HT you get left for dead.

Don’t get me wrong I love the option of both! play to the strengths and a happy bunny you will be.

colournoise

chestercopperpot – Member
    Proper rocky DH stuff (big rocks not gravel paths with no smooth opt out lines) unless you are at the top of your game on a HT you get left for dead.

Don’t get me wrong I love the option of both! play to the strengths and a happy bunny you will be.
    +1

BigDummy
    Free Member

The full-sus is faster.

That way, when you spank someone riding a full-sus and they’re be all “this trail is quicker on a hardtail anyway” you can be all “nah bro, I way quicker on my full-sus, you just be way slow aye”. And they be 🙁 lol

stephen131
    Free Member

My Fat Bike is quicker than both my full sus and hard tail, unless it’s muddy .

rOcKeTdOg

My Fat Bike is quicker than both my full sus and hard tail, unless especially if it’s muddy

FIFY

weeksy

For me on a 5-6 mins climb I’m 2-3s quicker on the HT…

for a 2 mins descent… I’m 15-20 quicker on the FS.

Overall, I’m quicker on the FS. But it’s a short travel XC FS, not a massive burly beast of a thing.

muddyground
    Free Member

Went to Afan, felt happier on the hard tail; my Five felt rubbish. Around Surrey the Five feels fast, yet on Strava it isn’t. After reading this, starting to think the shock? Either that or twelve years on a Klein Mantra has left me mentally scared.

kerley
    Free Member

On the terrain I ride on I am actually fastest on a track bike with 24c tyres (actual times on Strava)

Only a bit faster though and a whole lot more uncomfortable and no fun on twisty/rooty bits so would rather be a bit slower on an MTB. It is a rigid MTB though as I haven’t gone mad (I dislike suspension of any sort)

markrh
    Free Member

I find hardtail bikes quicker over nearly all stuff i’ve done on both types of bike but think its probably me not exploiting the strengths of the full suspension bike that is the reason behind this, either way they are both fun.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Xc, possibly. Rocky fun trails, fs all the way. Big mountains, fs. General climbs, fs. Hardtails can feel faster even when they’re not

nwill1
    Free Member

My new Ti Slackline (25.5 lbs) is quicker on my local XC than my Five (32 lbs)…no surprise given it’s not very gnarl hence why I built the HT XC.

On the rough decents though I’m confident the FS is still quicker (although not compared yet) for me though the FS is just for comfort on the rough rides…my body’s too old!

BillMC

My hardtail feels faster but the fs is faster as it is more forgiving of what I throw at it on the trails.

mcnultycop

I’m faster on my hardtail than my FS on climbs, but not all of them. Although on some of these climbs my CX is quite clearly faster. But other times it isn’t.

Descending is quicker on my FS, except the times my HT is quicker.

mattjg
    Free Member

+1, which I hadn’t expected on the up’s & though we’re talking only seconds, I hadn’t been trying to ‘get’ a faster time

z1ppy, what do we know that they don’t? 😉

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Who cares ? Whatever happened to riding because you enjoyed it . Strava endomondo etc , really ? The last thing I do when I’m riding is check anything other than my bike . The phone goes off and in a pocket .

beano68
    Free Member

Way faster on my F/S so I sold the HT … No regrets

mrblobby
    Free Member

Whatever happened to riding because you enjoyed it .

This ^^^. Unless you’re racing. For most UK trails always find a HT a more rewarding ride, don’t really care if it’s faster or slower (IME it’s slower but I don’t analyse it.)

FWIW it takes me a while to get back up to speed if I switch between a HT and a FS, more so going the other way too. If trying to go fast over technical stuff they really need be ridden quite differently.

weeksy

beermonst3r44 – Member

Who cares ? Whatever happened to riding because you enjoyed it . Strava endomondo etc , really ? The last thing I do when I’m riding is check anything other than my bike . The phone goes off and in a pocket .

Because people want to gauge their progress, see if they’re improving, see if the weight loss is helping. etc.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Because enjoying yourself is directly proportional to being faster than other people.

ajc
    Free Member

I have a 27 mile loop around the surrey hills from my house I have been doing for years. I average between 9.5 and 10 miles an hour on both ht and full suss, so nothing in it speed wise. The main difference is that if I haven’t been on the bike for a couple of months I come home feeling battered by the hard tail. Both good fun, just different.

rocketman
    Free Member

Same old same old

My HTs have their moments and when the planets are aligned and I’m on fire they’re quicker

When the planets aren’t aligned and/or I’m not fire the FSs win

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’m quicker on my Whyte T-130 Works on local trails but my HT is fairly XC in setup and therefore quite nervous on the faster downhill stuff. My garmin tells me I’m faster on the FS but as I’ve not ridden the HT for about 8 weeks it might be that the trails are dryer and I’ve been riding more.

Mostly I’m enjoying the FS but in the winter gloop I’ll probably swap back to the HT.

muddyground
    Free Member

Think Rocketman has the answer. Also, just a little bit, perhaps the susser intimidates me and I need to man up! It is by far and away the most fun bike to ride, yet somehow 10/10ths on the ht is in my comfort zone, where the susser seems to be calling me a big wuss all the time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘faster on a hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.