Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Fast XC Tyres
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

Alright apologies realise this has been done to death!

Currently running Bonty ACX 2.1 on rear and a huge ACX 2.4 up front (completely fills the Revelations arch) great tyres for the uncertain but I noticed last night at Llandegla that whilst I’m brutally fast uphill I’m slow(er) down! Two mates have just bought a pair of Nobby Nics and a pair of Panaracer Fire XC Pros respectively. Now, can’t help thinking the lad on the Panaracers is marginally faster.

Anyhoo – machinations over! I need a fast rolling quick XC tyre – Not Racing Ralphs and the like – which is also tubeless compatable

Opinions please

Cheers
    TS

Martinez
    Free Member

ignitors all the way mate

Nobby

Cross Marks

MS
    Free Member

speed kings

tankslapper
    Free Member

MS – do the Speed Kings come in UST?

Has anyone any experience of Panaracer Fire XC Pro?

Nobby – Cross Marks? Who are they by? 😳

trickydisco
    Free Member

Cross Marks?

maxxis

FWIW Although expensive ..I love racing ralphs

MS
    Free Member

No they don’t. I use rim strips.

Race Kings are also very good, and come in UST. Pricey tho.

Used fire XC’s for 2 years. Good in mud, but rolling resistance is pretty high.

lovewookie

26″ crossmarks are OK, 29″ versions are much better.

I use Hutchinson Pythons at the moment, fairly grippy, fast and light.

FWIW I would probably suggest Nobby Nics. roll very fast for what they are and grip really well. Expensive though.

The Fire XC’s I tried were horrible.

tankslapper
    Free Member

O.K. with the three tyre sizes of Nobby Nics I’m thinking of taking the plunge and getting a 2.1 rear and a 2.25 up front – or should I go 1.8 rear?!

lovewookie

2.1 should be nice for the rear.

I ran that setup on my prophet and it was great.

zokes
    Free Member

Bontrager Revolt?

Dougal
    Free Member

Ignitor on the front, crossmark on the back,

terrahawk
    Free Member

Nothing but good things to say about Kenda Small Block 8’s here.

in the dry they’re great. In the wet they’re ok if you wear one at the back with a Blue Groove up front.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Zokes

What were those tyres you used in the Dales? Maxxis?

onewheelgood

I’ve used XC pros (the 1.8s) for 10 years, since they stopped making Conti Cross Country 1.9s. I love them. But I just bought an Anthem X1 which came with Racing Ralphs (2.1) and I have to say I’m converted. Run lower pressures than I did on the XC pros (35 vs 45) and they seem to be almost as free rolling but have better grip cranked over. Did all my Mayhem laps on them last weekend.

jfeb
    Free Member

+1 for either Racing Ralphs or Bonty Revolt Super X’s. Both are fast-rolling, surprisingly grippy and very predictable

z1ppy

tankslappper
    MS – do the Speed Kings come in UST?

Yep, I have a pair of 2.2, seem pretty good.
    There’s a big debate about whether they come in the black chilli compound though, overall opinion seems to be ‘no’.

Smee
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs all the way, in their 2.1 guise – xc pro tyres are crap.

Keva
    Free Member

small block 8s are great if it’s bone dry… mine lose grip just at the thought of mud.

Kev

KarlE
    Free Member

Panaracer Razer XC 2.1

tankslapper
    Free Member

Going to try an old Racing Ralph I have on the rear and the Bonty 2.2 acx up front – should greatly improve speed

trickydisco
    Free Member

Going to try an old Racing Ralph

Don’t forget they changed the racing ralph and it’s now much better (for a front tyre)

winter i always use nobby nic front and summer RR on the front and rear (used this for mayhem and worked well)

sharkbait
    Free Member

small block 8s are great if it’s bone dry… mine lose grip just at the thought of mud.

I’ve been using small block 8s for a couple of months now and I really like them. Very fast on the roads and firetrails but still nicely grippy on rock/roots and the peaty stuff in Delamere. I can def tell a difference in how long I can ride for before getting tired.
    Yes they do loose traction in proper mud but as long as it’s not a mud-fest they’re great. I actually like the slightly nervous nature of them in not perfect conditions as it keeps you on your toes and makes the ride even more fun.
    Come late autumn I’ll probably go back to my Mud-X but for the next 4 months I’m sticking with the SB8s

grahamt1980

Maybe i am missing something but are you wanting faster tyres because you are slower going downhill? Rather than uphill. If that is the case then is it not possible that it is you not the tyre that is the limiting factor. Uphill sure faster tyres will have an effect. Downhill its grip and skill you need

tinsy
    Free Member

If its dry weather fast XC tyres the specialized Fast Trak’s are worth a look, been very happy with mine and cope much better than expeected when its soft going as a bonus, also nice to see the small block 8’s get decent reviews as I just bought a pair off the classifieds to try as my Fast traks are all but worn out. Spesh tyres have the benefit of being quite reasonable price too…

tankslapper
    Free Member

graham that’s what worrying me! 😳

That said the two lads in question I used to stuff down hill no problems and suddenly with a change of tyre they’re definitely faster – certainly grip and skill but surely ‘rolling resistance’ plays a huge part?

Last night in Llandegla I noticed they were free-wheeling on sections where I had to pedal to keep up – these were skill-less rolling straight sections btw.

I take your point but my guess is the Bonty ACX 2.2 at the rear and the massive 2.4 are genuinely scrubbing dh speed of

Keva
    Free Member

Sharkbait, I might stick my small block 8s back on then and give them another go !

Kev

grahamt1980

Thats fair enough. Chances are that the tyres may be having an effect then. In that case i recommend panaracer rampages high volume and still fast

GTDave
    Free Member

Having used both, 2.25 Maxxis Ardents are leagues ahead of XC Pro’s in the wet & dry.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am a big fan of the Speed King at the moment.

bomberman
    Free Member

I’m loving the small block 8’s at the moment theyre tenacious on anything dry and can handle light mud. If it’s soaking wet and muddy though i’d leave them at home and stick something on with taller knobs.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Maxxis monorail 2.1’s

nicko74

I wouldn’t go for Fire XC Pros – the ones I had were a bit sketchy and also ripped the valves off my inner tubes. I switched to Bonty Jones’ses and was surprised by how much easier I found it to ride

Use Nobby Nic 2.25 Front (basic version) and 2.1 Rear (snakeskin version).
    That should stop sidewall problems which the NN was always prone to.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I got on with fire XC pros as an all-rounder. They didn’t puncture much, not too slow, gripped OK straight and coreners. In really sticky mud they bunged up. I wouldn’t say they are esp. fast.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Thanks guys – think I’m carrying too much rubber! I did Llandegla on the ss late last year on tyres that were almost slicks and hammered people all round me!

topangarider
    Free Member

Maxxis Larsen’? Find them pretty good on hardpack, maybe a bit draggy on loamy stuff, so depends where you are.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Mid Wales so a mixture of every condition imaginable I guess!

cheers for the responses guys btw!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Fast XC Tyres’ is closed to new replies.