Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fast, tough, light summer tyres
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a rear 2.1" tyre? Currently have a crossmark which I love but ripped the sidewall.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Maxxis Aspen.

njee20
    Free Member

Racing Ralph or Furious Fred depending on how brave you are/how light you want to go.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Kenda Small Block 8

wwaswas

Intense System 2's are pretty good. Come up fairly narrow, though.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Michelin XC Dry2. 2.0 but come up a little larger. Tough, light(ish) and fast rolling. Oh and cheap!

GaryLake
    Free Member

I'd have said SMB8 but I've got a feeling the Maxxis is tougher… I'd also wager the Schwalbes will be more delicate too.

If you love the Crossmark, give it another punt and hope it was just bad luck. Sometimes it just happens – I've gone two years on Kendas without a single tear and then ripped 3 in one month! But been fine since so go figure!

br
    Free Member

I run a Maxxis Larsen 2.35 (650g) which works well, and seems quite strong against the flints around here – but a riding buddy on Sunday had the 2.1 version 'hole' with a sharp piece of flint.

njee20
    Free Member

Furious Fred 2.25" with Raceguard. Sensible price, 435g and you won't find a faster tyre!

Just don't try to go round corners 🙂

MRanger156
    Free Member

I do like maxxis tyres and was thinking about the larson. Is the exception casing the ultra thin one?

DezB
    Free Member

Shame they don't do a tubeless version of the Larsen 2.35 – my fave tyre at the mo.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=48399

Cheeap!

Wetwheels
    Free Member

Just checked those Larsens on the CRC link; love the simple pleasure of hovering over the tread pattern for a close up view. It's entirely gratuitous.
    Love it!

Waderider
    Free Member

I run a rear Larsen, works well, but spins out quickly on slippy hard surfaces as you might expect. For example, barely damp roots, or with a wet tyre exiting a stream, trying to climb out on a bedrock surface.

That's my back tyre experience from my last bike ride anyhow!

sem
    Free Member

Conti Race King. Surprisingly fast, grippy and slow to wear. I expect a lot of that is from my choice for the super sonic because I have a bit of a thing for the black chili compound coming out of their German factory :o.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30228

Tomahawk
    Free Member

I have a set of Conti Speed king protection available? Super light and fast, 2.3 for the front and 2.1 rear, the 2.3 is very narrow though. Mail me if you are interested. 😀

br
    Free Member

Shame they don't do a tubeless version of the Larsen 2.35 – my fave tyre at the mo.

I'm just running the normal one, tubeless on an 819 rim with latex. Do find that I can't run it at the low pressures I normally use as there is a lot of squirm – probably just a bit wide for the rim.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Spesh Fast Traks.

DezB
    Free Member

slippery roots ? low pressures ?

C'mon guys we're talking SUMMER 🙂

joebickley
    Free Member

The Racing Raphs are very good but Afan's rocks brutalised the sidewalls! If you dont ride anything to extreme to often though they are brilliant.

njee20
    Free Member

Or get the Double Defence or RaceGuard version.

takisawa2

SB8's. All you need.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Which has the tougher casing SB8 or Maxxis Larson/crossmark?

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Slight Hack – Which ones for the Kielder 100?

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Keith Bontrager: "pick any two".

LUST Crossmark has thicker sidewalls and you'll save the weight of rimstrip.

Recent thread on here stating that tyre weight is a bit of an irrelevance off road.

_tom_
    Free Member

Dunno how much grip they'll provide for others being a bit faster, but the Continental Race King 2.1 worked surprisingly well for me on the rear – didn't slip much on the roots at Wharncliffe last summer.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fast, tough, light summer tyres’ is closed to new replies.