Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fast rolling rear to go with a 2.5 Minion
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Morning all. The trusty Voltage is a gravity bike and has a folding 2.5 3C Minion DHF up front which I really like but I’m not entirely happy with the 60a DHF I usually have on the back.

It grips well enough but I’m not really a back end type of person I would rather have something lighter and fast rolling and a bit squirrely but it has to be tough.

Have thought about maybe a HRII but it seems a bit of an animal for a back tyre. Any thoughts on what would go well with the Minion?

Cheers

Vortexracing

I use a Ardent 3c 2.25 on the rear to run with that front you have

vinnyeh

I used to use an Ardent exo 2.4 out back with a minion exo up front, and still would if I could be bothered to take the other minion off the back.

rocketman
    Free Member

Thanks lads as it happens I have a 2.25 Ardent in the shed will give it a go

Doug
    Free Member

Another happy Minion/Ardent user. Also use a Larssen when it’s bone dry.

greeble
    Free Member

high roller semi slick…

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

You can’t really go wrong with a High Roller.

Northwind

Normal highroller isn’t the answer here IMO, neither faster rolling nor lighter. Ardent makes sense. Highroller semislick is a wee bit situational for me so far, great some of the time, hilariously bad at other times. Larsen is the classic choice but I think the Ardent’s better most of the time personally.

Butcher SX might be worth some consideration- it’s barely faster than a Maxxpro Minion, but it’s a fair bit lighter, and still tough (it’s basically a ply-and-a-half), and won’t ever fail to do anything the Minion does. But it wouldn’t give you a massive change, just a small one in the right direction.

ae212060
    Free Member

Minion/ardent top combo!

duir
    Free Member

I had a lot of success last summer with Minion front/Bontrager XR4 TLR 2.2. Ran that rear both tubeless and with tube. I found it fast rolling but also very grippy considering it’s benign appearance. Found it miles better than the ardent which was a great tyre in the dry but Scottish summers are not dry!

kevster
    Free Member

Used to use a larssen as a rear tyre with a HR up front.

Didn’t get on with the semi slick HR, sold after one ride.

nuke

Agreed with Ardent. I also rate the Advantage 2.25…comes up big, good grip and not too draggy. I’ve also ran a Purgatory…worked well but possibly a bit draggier.

Reckon the On-One CM & Smorg tyres are worth a look as well; not the lightest, I’d run them tubeless as the sidewalls seem pretty thick

mrplow
    Free Member

As said above Larssen or Ardent. Larssen is great fun but will struggle on off camber mud as so little side edge so depends how much of that you ride. Other wise ardent all the way.

I have some specialized tyres to try for a change this year but the two tyres above are both great for the right stuff. Larssen is also good for silly drifts if you are in the mood.

greeble
    Free Member

how about a maxxis crossmark?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fast rolling rear to go with a 2.5 Minion’ is closed to new replies.