• This topic has 15 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by uwe-r.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • fast rolling, cheap, reasonably tough 28mm road tyres…. what?
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

yeah pick two.

Currently running schwalbe marathons on my commute/road bike. They’re getting a bit tired and I know they are slow and draggy.

Anyone recommend some good faster rolling but grippy and not too expensive 28s to replace them?

thanks

shermer75
    Free Member

Continental Gatorskin

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, Gatorskins. Or, Spesh armoureddildos in your choice of tread/width.

alexpalacefan

Schwalbe Durano. More at the ‘tough road tyre’ rather than ‘tough touring tyre’ end of the spectrum, but I don’t think I’ve ever punctured with ’em. And a lot faster than even Marathon Racers.

APF

reggiegasket
    Free Member

28mm Schwalbe One tubeless. How cheap is cheap?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

+1 for the Duranos. Been running the 32c on my Tripster for a few thousand miles and they’re really quite nice. As well as knobblies, I’ve had all sorts on there, 28c Gators, some 28c Conti 4 Seasons – any of those will feel night and day compared to the Marathons; just check the weights on them!

I think CRC have the 28c Duranos at a fairly good price at the moment, but I’d be interested to see how the new One from Schwalbe performs too. As Alexpalacefan says though, they’re more of a road tyre with a bit of cut / puncture resistance than a hefty tourer, but I’ve ridden mine on cobbles and gravel quite happily too. What I like about the Durano is it’s quite supple and seems to grip well too.

CraigW
    Free Member

Panaracer Pasela PT. They are a lot lighter/faster than the standard Marathon, but still pretty tough.

mav12
    Free Member

what are the duranos like to get on the rim can you get them on without levers

ir_bandito
    Free Member

define “not too expensive”?

Conti 4 Seasons. End of.

kerley
    Free Member

For a tyre more similar to a Marathon in terms of puncture resistance and tread I like the Halo Courier.

I used courier on front and courier Berlin on rear for a year of 50/50 on/off roading with no punctures at all.

Not as fast as Durano and the like but Durano and the like are crap off road/bad surfaces (realise this may not apply to you!)

boblo
    Free Member

Folding Durano Raceguard. Fantastic. I have a pair on my CAADX and they are very light, very easy to get on and off mit thumbs and are in the low £20’s. Merlin have them for £17.50 but currently only 23, 25 and 32. I’m a died in the wool Pasela man and these will see me converted…

I have had 2 punctures in 2000 miles; one from a screw and one a long shard of glass in the rain. Not sure anything would have stopped either including XR’s.

lunge

Vredestein Senso Xtreme. Role well, tough, good against punctures and don’t kill the feel of the bike either. Much better than Gatorskins IMO.

Poggy
    Free Member

Have ridden most in posts above & i have to say, best tyre i have ridden for all round performance, reliability & comfort are continental grand prix ‘original version’ first class. Excellent in the dry & wet, very little rolling reasistance, yet feel incredibly reliable.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Cheers

Cheap is max 20 each. Pref around 15 each.

Any opinions on Rubino pro tech?

dknwhy

I’m running Panaracer Gravel King 700 x 28C on my CX bike. Lovely tyre. Managed to get them for £20 each from Cycle Surgery but I think they’ve gone back up in price now…..

uwe-r
    Free Member

How about tubeless?

My thread from earlier today.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/road-%e2%80%93-ghetto-tubeless

Schwable the one are £29 an end at Bikediscount.De and are very high end tyres. The rest of the tubeless set up will bring the cost in to about £80-£100 dependent on what valves / sealant / tape you use.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘fast rolling, cheap, reasonably tough 28mm road tyres…. what?’ is closed to new replies.