Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • fast light cross tyres?
  • Surfr
    Free Member

This is odd.

I mainly use mine off road on rocky singletrack and have no problems at all at 70PSI. I'm 13 stone if that matters. I'd be pinch flatting every 5 minutes with less than 50 PSI on them. Conti themselves recommend 58PSI.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20speedkingcross.shtml

35 PSI on this sort of terrain? madness I say.

I may have been wrong with my assumption of 100PSI for road use. I think I'm confusing my road wheelset there. I read the max inflation from the sidewall and inflated to that when I was using speed kings on road. So 85PSI by the looks of it

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I haven't used the contis, but on the more rock/tech stuff (including french trails similar to the above pic) I do occasionally pinch flat my michelins. However, that's a compromise I'm willing to make to avoid me and the bike bing shaken to bits! 12 stone here

I have ridden cross bikes all my life though, so perhaps I've adjusted my riding style to suit?

njee20
    Free Member

A real asset to Bristol IMO.

It was the best that was easy to get to and navigate, but I personally found it very dull on an MTB (hence using the cross bike), and not worth touching in winter! Used to just go over to Cwmcarn once a week for a decent MTB ride.

I did used to put 90psi in my cross tyres for road though, rolled pretty well.

oldgit
    Free Member

It takes some getting used to running low cross pressures but the pay off is worth it. Even if I train on my cross bike on/off road I go 60 max.
    Hoping to do the Three Peaks and God knows what I'll run for that.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

right…..stop talking if you dont know cross.

okay.
    for cross you want to run something light and flexable with decent bead if your riding clinchers.
    conti's and schwalbe's are not really suitable,if you want to get decent feel similar to tubs first get some latex tubes.
    The go on zepnat and find some challenge tyres they are very similar to tub in feel and make a big difference.
    if you want faster rolling then you can get giffo xs with less knobbles or the standard griffo's.

hope this helps.
    Bruce

njee20
    Free Member

Well the issue here is that there's cross, as in CX racing, around fields, where you can run your tyres really soft for tonnes of grip, or there's the sort of riding many people are doing on CX bikes, like that above, really it has totally different requirements!

It makes it even more convoluted than an MTB 'what tyre' thread.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

this is totally true…..thats just my bit for racing cx or just riding xc on a cx bike.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

It was the best that was easy to get to and navigate, but I personally found it very dull on an MTB (hence using the cross bike), and not worth touching in winter!

LOL!

As an experiment, I am going to write a sentence. Let's see how long it takes you to disagree with or criticise it…

"I am 35 and live in Cornwall."

oldgit
    Free Member

@bikerbruce
    Long shot here, but do you race in the Peak? I'm desperately trying to trace a mate called Pete Sharkey. I raced with him years back, but he moved to the Peak and took up cross?

bikerbruce
    Free Member

i do an i know pete sharkey…go on the matlock cc website forum he's on there
    Bruce

oldgit
    Free Member

**** me this sites great, cheers.

iainc

back to OP – I had Maxxis Locusts on my Jake the Snake which I use for a variety of stuff, but not racing. Also thought draggy on the tarmac – i have now got a set of Specialized Borough's on and much prefer them.

HTH

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘fast light cross tyres?’ is closed to new replies.