Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fast 26 or fast 29er……………………..
  • vondally
    Free Member

so looking for a bike to do…

some road riding
    communting
    singletrack woodsy stuff
    trail centres
    bivi…touring
    general mtb riding natural northern stuff….dales mainly but lakes.

the bike will be used for a trip to france tackling some famous tour de france climbs next year ( last two years tackled them on 6 inch travel bikes)

BUT i need
    something comfy…back, neck problems and now related nerve damage to my hand so full suss no road bikes as they are too painful
    something that compensates for my lack of skill so no headangles that are silly
    something that will not throw me off when i am tired at the end of a long day
    something lightish…most of my bikes weigh more tha 32 lbs so ideal weight 25/26lbs
    something reasonably priced

so do i go

26er full suss something like
    Giant anthem
    Yeti asr
    Turner flux…..had one not mega keen but might try again
    trek fuel
    rocky mountain element msl or rsl

or 29 er….never ridden one but will a hardtail with a suss post work?
    Brand no idea
    Full suss?

All help welcome

Sam

29er – for road riding, commuting and the type of riding it seems you’re in to IMO they are vastly superior. Now, comfy, nice handling, reasonably priced – sounds like a Singular to me.

RealMan
    Free Member

So you can’t ride a road bike on road..?

Cause it sounds like you need a road bike and a mountain bike.

For what it’s worth, if I was doing some massive cols on a mountain bike, I’d want a 26er.

vondally
    Free Member

Re road bikes the combination of
    postion…really aggrevates
    ‘jarring’/lack of compliance in the frame
    my phobia of skinny tyres means no

I have a bike that really is a sit up and beg.
    Rode Tourmelat and Aspin on a maverick ml8 but would like something quicker/ this year.

Sam how comfy are the singulars are we talking short travel 26 comfy or ‘slightly more comfy than a kick up the a*se from a bucking donkey’?

Dan1502
    Free Member

It depends on your budget but a full suspension 29er might be an idea. I have been riding mine all year with a pretty bad prolapsed disc and it’s been a lot more comfortable than my previous hard tail 29er. That said, it’s a Santa Cruz Tallboy so pretty racy and not plush compared to the long travel trail bikes a lot of folk ride. I have put a 95-120 Talas fork on so the head angle slackens a bit when in longer travel mode. Were I bulding it again I would consider the new 110-140 fork (I’m toying with the idea of swapping anyway). I run it with low rise bars and about 35mm of spacers (no rise stem) as I find it more comfortable. When locked out if feels very like a hardtail.

If you can, try a few options before deciding. I had only really ridden my hardtail 29er before buying the Tallboy. I’ve since tried Ed Oxley’s Labyrinth around a car park and it felt like sitting on a sofa, as did a friends Yeti.

Also, how tall are you? 29ers do tend to suit taller riders better.

vondally
    Free Member

at the moment 6ft but more 5 11 on a bad day, prolasped discs in c5 and c6 added to t1 damage and fused discs l something in lower back so not great.

Riding a Yeti asr 7 99% on road at moment love the position and it is really a good bike but just need something lighter but similiar angles.

Niner Jet 9?

singlecrack
    Free Member

29er Anthem

Dan1502
    Free Member

If you want to hit your target weight you’ll need to get a carbon frame really. My XL carbon tallboy has been down to about 26.5 lbs with Stans Crest wheels, carbon bars, XT chainset, XTR brakes etc but it does have a dropper post fitted. It’s now a bit heavier due to having Stans Arch wheels. I have most of a complete XX drivetrain to fit but am waiting for the X0 chainset and guide before fitting so will probably end up around the same weight.

Sam

Sam how comfy are the singulars are we talking short travel 26 comfy or ‘slightly more comfy than a kick up the a*se from a bucking donkey’?

Subjectively, I’d say quite comfy, somewhere between your nice similies. No reason you can’t use a suspension post on a 29er.

Macavity
    Free Member
    vondally
    Free Member

at 15 stone not sure on the slingshot

charliedontsurf

Salsa spearfish fits the bill. Damned nice bikes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fast 26 or fast 29er……………………..’ is closed to new replies.