Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Farrow and Ball paint – any good?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

http://www.farrow-ball.com/

Anyone used it (other than the National Trust)? Is it a pleasant paint to use? I hate thin watery paints that need multi coats to give decent coverage.

Ta.

Stoner
    Free Member

I hate it but others think its OK.

Some of the matt colours scuff just by being looked at.

Over priced too. If you normally buy overpriced stuff from fired earth, it would suit you 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We used to use it when the NT paid for our redecorating, unlike cheeper paints it doesn’t seem to wash off when you wipe it with a damp sponge.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Right from when you put it on the walls with the roller and see how you only ever need two coats, not three like with other paints in some situations, you can tell it’s a better quality. So yes, it is about 30% more expensive, but it’s still good value from especially if you’re doing a lighter colour over a darker one where you might end up needing three coats with a Dulux equivalent.

However he comments about it marking easily as just so true. I swore once and even that left a terribly mark on the walls 😆

I’ve tried wiping other marks off as well and all that seemed to happen was that I marked the paint even more.

So yes, the paint has a depth of colour to it that other paints seems to lack, but it’s completely impractical in anything other than show home or a home with no kids.

the-muffin-man

We’ve found that Little Green’s Ultimatt is far better than Farrow and Ball’s offerings.

http://www.littlegreene.com/

jp-t853

We have used it as we have bare stone walls and this is breatheable.

We now use Laura Ashley, they do a very similar paint that is less expensive.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Is it just the very matt colours that scuff?

the-muffin-man

The Estate Emulsion finishes scuff, you’d need the Modern Emulsion if you want a harder finish.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

The colours available are wonderful and really work in period houses and we used almost exclusively their paints in our old house (Edwardian). I am happy to sacrifice durability and hard wear (and it isn’t that bad really) for the perfect shade. Now we live in a cottage and it is B&Q value magnolia for the entire house…. miss the Farrow and Ball paints actually.

Harry_the_Spider

We’ve used it on woodwork. Good stuff.

damo2576
    Free Member

Its really the colours that you pay for I think. Many a decorator has moaned about painting with it but you really can’t beat the colours.

Our house is painted in it and as a sceptic I am a total convert.

BB

It saved our marriage when doing up our house. When you’ve only got three colours to choose from it makes things a lot easier (and saves on buying endless testers of off-white).

Painted the whole house in it in the end (even re-painting a ‘Dulux’ room).

The modern emulsion has a harder finish.

eddie11
    Free Member

its great in IMO, emulsions are a pleasure to use and coverage is very good, one coat only for the darker shades. The spirit based, planet killing glosses used to be good but they’ve gone all waterbased eco and they dont seem to be as good as a) they used to be b) other peoples water based gloss

CarlThomas
    Free Member

I think you’ll find Farrow make the paint for Laura Ashley.

I have used Farrow a lot in the post…water based emusions do have a lovely depth to them. The water based eggshell I have used in places like kitchen/bathroom and it’s a bit of a pig to use (hard to feather brush marks etc).

Nowadays I just use mainstream stuff…the paint is good enough and lets face it, half the battle is colour choice and quality of finish.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Harry Spider, I really like the colour you used on the shed.

Harry_the_Spider

Thank you. It’s called “Bike Shed Blue”.

traildog
    Free Member

I echo those comments on Little Greenes Ulimatt.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Expensive and thin – consider using a cheaper product as a primer/base coat

clareymorris

My local timber yard mixes Farrow and Ball colours with their own paint, which is great quality and much cheaper than F&B paint. Hurrah 😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve used it a lot, but wouldnt again on grounds of cost. There are many other manufactures making heritage colours.

ourmaninthenorth

Just to reiterate what most ahve said:

Good, chalky finish and excellent depth of colour.

Estate Emulsion marks so easily, which hasn’t been great in the (narrow) hallway of a terraced house.

Have also used Laura Ashley (good) and Fired Earth (good).

ourmaninthenorth

mcmoonter – is that your place with one of your paintings on the wall?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

mcmoomter – is that your place with one of your paintings on the wall?

Yes, it was my house, pre divorce, and yes the edge of the painting above the trunk is mine too.

More images here http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/mcmoonter/ScottishHouseHomesGardens#

The other hoose in Kirkwall is my folks

ourmaninthenorth

Pre-divorce or not, nice house. Bet it took some cleaning for the shoot..!

Oh, and though I’m a philistine, I rather like some of your work too.

But I’m not wholly sold on recycled PVC summer houses….. 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

But I’m not wholly sold on recycled PVC summer houses…..

What’s not to like?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Farrow and Ball paint – any good?’ is closed to new replies.