Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Farnborough / Aldershot MOD night rides.
  • jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I am currently spending three nights week down in Farnborough from my home in Lancashire. All i do is long for the weekends so I can get out on my bike so was thinking i should maybe try and get my fill down here. i do fkall else at night anyway so was hoping to bring my bike down and check out some of these fabled MOD trails while i still can!

So does anyone wanna show me round, or are there any group rides i could tag along with?? obvs it would be difficult to explore for myself in the dark. once i find my feet ill get out more often.

Has to be at night as im at work during the day and i travel back up north on Thursdays. so Mon/Tue/Weds from about 7pm would be good. also i have no other mode of transport down here so rides out of my door are a must.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Try the Tunnel Hill Trolls forum, they have night rides around that area a couple of times a week.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

nice one! “there is always a Tuesday night ride in Farnborough area”

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

oh “Administrators have forbidden any new members” 😥

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

cant get on their forum. any THT’s on here? anyone know where they meet?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

There are a bunch of locals on here, PeterPoddy being one. With Farnborough in the thread title it will only be a matter of time before someone useful arrives.
    I’m a bit further out in Alton and Mrs Wachowchow works shift so can’t guarantee I would be available. I can vouch for the riding though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Odd. Not sure why it’s locking out new sign ups. Jay or someone may be along to check it out or say why.

Anyway, generally there’s a bunch of rides in the week. Monday slower ride, Tuesday faster, Thursday social, and there’s stupidly fast usually on a Thursday also. Meeting points vary per week. Best if you can get on the forum to see the rides.

FYI on the MOD lands if you don’t know… the MOD now interprets the byelaws for the area as forbidding us to be on there on bikes with the exception of “metalled” roads, i.e. tarmac, which there isn’t much of. Landmarc are actively kicking people off the land now and there have been many incidents of being told to clear off.

It’s a contentious issue and a change to the well established allowed or tolerated use of the land by walkers, runners and cyclists, and they are specifically targeting cyclists. Though obviously the army has priority but we’ve all got along okay in the past.

Anyway, check out http://trailactiongroup.co.uk/ (or their FB page) and the code of conduct especially. Basically keep out of the way of any army folk you see or hear, be prepared to turn around and go elsewhere, don’t argue with them, and cut your lights at night if you see them. Bright lights and night vision doesn’t mix. If stopped and told to leave, report the incident to TAG.

theotherjonv

Don’t know why THT forums doing that but there are a few on here who i’m sure can sort it out – will message one. There’s a socially paced ride on Monday nights, a faster ride on Tuesdays, a fast ride on Thursday plus a ‘very sociable’ paced Thursday ride too….. all starting at 1900 for 1915 off, but not necessarily from the same place.

BOB ride on Weds from Crowthorne area, a fast ride and a social paced ride, but they’re a bit more formal.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

yeah just found this thread too, reckon i could just explore Hawley / Minley on me tod in the meantime…? http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hawley-woods-farnborough

benpinnick

From Farnborough you can pick up an access road into Minley from the Harvester roundabout (near the M3). Once you cross the M/Way you will see singletrack crossing the fireroad fairly quickly… just follow that.

jay_tht
    Free Member

Jaffejoffer you should be ok to join now (tunnelhilltrolls)

Jay

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

ok thanks, ive signed up. where is ‘the layby’?

gren
    Free Member

If you look in the weekday evening rides section of the Trolls forum there’s a post on ‘Weekly meet points’ that has most of them pinpointed.

Weekly meet points

The forum is a bit slow at the moment for some reason…

If you mean the Potters layby for Tunnel Hill it’s by Potters motel (GU16 6DD) right by the canal just east of Mytchett

greg87
    Free Member

Hi, I have recently moved to Farnborough and am looking to explore the local off road riding. I’ve tried signing up to the tunnel hills trolls website but I have also got the “administrators have forbidden any new members” message. Please can someone sort me out? Thanks in advance.

greg87
    Free Member

anyone? 😕

jay_tht
    Free Member

Greg87 try now should be albe to.

Jay

hooli

Try the Swinley Forest Mountain Bikers facebook page too, there are a lot of locals over that way and they arrange rides – not just at Swinley.

greg87
    Free Member

Awesome. Thanks Jay.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Farnborough / Aldershot MOD night rides.’ is closed to new replies.