Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Fargo or Game of Thrones
  • sc-xc

Which should we start watching tonight?

Things we have loved…breaking bad, Dexter, prison break, house of cards

Things I liked less…true detective (although I think i need to give it another go), homeland (got bored half way through). Same with true blood and the following.

Just finished pesky blinders which I think is my favourite thing ever.

So…what next on either sky box sets or Netflix? Fargo and GoT get good reviews…

What did you prefer?

nasher
    Free Member

Fargo both first and second series, although makes no difference in what order you watch them, but IMO watch series 2 first then 1

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Either, GOT is a bigger commitment due to how long it is, Fargo S2 is my favourite black comedy.

Daffy

Game of Thrones.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’d go for Fargo, not seen the second series but the first was really very good, funny, dark, suspenseful and clever.

loddrik
    Free Member

Game of Thrones really is excellent.

DrJ

Where do you get GoT ?? It seems to have disappeared from my telly 🙁

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Game of Thrones for the beeeuuuubs and Lord Friendzone

sc-xc

Thanks all.

Having read your responses out to the gaffer, we are going for Fargo.

DrJ, GoT on Sky Box sets

RoterStern
    Free Member

Have just started watching the first series of Fargo on Netflix and it is indeed superb. Took a while to get used to Martin Freeman’s American accent mind. 🙂 I’ve only watched GOT on German TV and in the middle of a series so couldn’t really work out what was going on. Once I have finished with Breaking Bad and Fargo I might give it a go later.

chestrockwell

Either, GOT is a bigger commitment due to how long it is, Fargo S2 is my favourite black comedy.

This.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Half way through season 5 of GoT. Have enjoyed it and will miss not having more episodes to watch but it’s far from the epic it portrays IMO.

Just watched both seasons of Fargo back to back, it’s some of the best TV I’ve seen in years. Agree with watching season 2 then 1. Both excellent but 1 pips it. And would make more chronological sense.

Still can’t get my head round ep9 of season 2…

jimjam
    Free Member

slimjim78

Half way through season 5 of GoT. Have enjoyed it and will miss not having more episodes to watch but it’s far from the epic it portrays IMO.

Um……50 hours and counting of the most expensive and expansive drama ever put on TV. What exactly would you categorise as epic just out of curiosity.

slimjim78
    Free Member

What exactly would you categorise as epic just out of curiosity.

Good question.

I’ll agree that it’s epic in scope, which is a big part of its appeal – but I honestly feel that there are way too many long drawn out (boring) plot-lines, pi$$ poor fight scene choreography, and far too few characters to give a hoot about – for which they usually kill off any good ones that you’ve decided to root for.

They certainly keep you guessing, i’ll give the script writers that much. And there’s enough action and intrigue to keep me coming back for more.

When I say it’s not epic – I probably mean that it’s not quite of a high enough standard (including acting standards)to go down as one of the ‘best series ever’. I certainly don’t think i’ll ever go back and watch it again from episode 1, unlike Soprano’s, Breaking Bad, etc.
    (i’ll have boxed sets for seasons 1-5 on DVD up for grabs if anyone’s interested?!..)

I’m not sure I would have stuck with it if it wasn’t for the excellent Tyrion Lannister underdog storyline. His character adds the right balance of humour, tragedy, spirit, action – he’s a good little actor that fella.

One other thing I will certainly commend GoT for – it’s the first time I’ve ever enjoyed Sean Bean in anything. Imagine my confusion when they *EDIT-deleted spoiler*

BoardinBob

Lord Friendzone

😆

mtbfix

Watch Fargo and read GoT. I think one of the strong points of GoT is George Martin’s willingness to kill characters off. Keeps you guessing. New book delayed again unfortunately.

TooTall
    Free Member

If you haven’t watched Justified, neither. Justified should be high on your list if it isn’t already.

cheers_drive

Just watched episodes 3-8 of Fargo s2 in one sitting. Great TV, much better acting and plot than GoT but no nakedness.

mattyfez

The acting is better in fargo but got is far more entertaining.

That said they are both very different genres.. So it’s apples and oranges.

jimjam
    Free Member

mattyfez
    The acting is better in fargo but got is far more entertaining.

That said they are both very different genres.. So it’s apples and oranges.

This very much. Fargo is a character based drama, relatively small cast, limited sets and locations and the character interaction and development is centre stage. Fairly contemporary visually speaking, few if any visual effects.

GoT is one narrative thread stretched across 8? seasons (80 hours) with a cast of thousands, not to mention a crew of thousands shooting in multiple countries, sometimes multiple continents at once with an entirely manufactured world aesthetic and hundreds if not thousands of VFX shots per season.

Comparing them is like comparing a Cohen bros drama with the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

IdleJon

GoT is one narrative thread stretched across….

I think that’s where people struggle with it after a while. It’s not one narrative thread, it’s many, often with some link but often not. And often the threads fizzle out, or the characters die. After watching a few series you start asking “Where did that character go?” or even “Why bother with including that character for half a series and then let them disappear?” It ultimately feels a little futile, with no narrative drive, just total randomness.

And to go back to the first post..

Things I liked less…true detective (although I think i need to give it another go),

I thought the first season of True Detective was superb. The second was dreadful and I gave up on it.

colournoise

Not seen GoT, and only just finished Fargo season 2 (not seen S1) but Fargo is amazing TV. VERY well written and performed, and I really liked the odd, quirky things that were never really explained. Some decent black humour too all the way through (not as dark as some bits, but laughed out loud at Mike’s fate in the final episode).

Struck me as pretty much a contemporary take on Twin Peaks, which is a good thing.

jimjam
    Free Member

IdleJon

I think that’s where people struggle with it after a while. It’s not one narrative thread, it’s many, often with some link but often not.

The war for the Iron Throne, and ultimately against the white walkers. That’s the long game.

IdleJon

And often the threads fizzle out, or the characters die. After watching a few series you start asking “Where did that character go?” or even “Why bother with including that character for half a series and then let them disappear?”

Characters die, but generally not without repercussions. IE Ned Stark dies, ultimately starting a war…..which leads to Bran going north of the wall to study warging which will play heavily in later seasons… etc etc etc…..

It ultimately feels a little futile, with no narrative drive, just total randomness.

Well, I guess that’s how you see it. I happen to disagree. It’s intricate, and expansive and requires attention.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It ultimately feels a little futile, with no narrative drive, just total randomness.

I often felt this while studying history. 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Seems quite true to life in that respect.

sc-xc

Characters die, but generally not without repercussions. IE Ned Stark dies, ultimately starting a war…..which leads to Bran going north of the wall to study warging which will play heavily in later seasons… etc etc etc…..

That saves me watching it 😉

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Fargo is culture GoT is best described as a cross between Dallas & middle earth….with tits.

Haze

Fargo!

piemonster

Both, but if I’m honest GoT can be a bit silly. That said, I own GoT box sets but not Fargo.

sc-xc

Dazzler, it was our conversation that sparked this off.

Can’t believe I gave up on Peaky Blinders last time round, I reckon it’s the best thing I’ve ever watched.

Gonna watch s1e3 of Fargo tonight. It escalates fast!

StuE
    Free Member

Love Justified
    Hinterland
    Orange is the new Black
    Marco polo
    Rome
    Sense8

Haze

Just on S2 of Peaky Blinders, that one also escalated pretty quickly!

eulach

Why S2 of Fargo first?

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Black Sails is worth considering. Good, honest piratey nonsense but with some character development thrown in (especially in season 2).

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Fargo or Game of Thrones’ is closed to new replies.