Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • FAO Wheelbuilders – Rear Disc Hub Drive Side Spoke Length Query ??
  • slugwash
    Free Member

I’ve laced up and tensioned & trued my first rear disc hub build. I haven’t dished it yet but the rim seems way off from centre in the truing stand. Whenever I’ve built rear wheels before (non-disc) the drive side spokes have always been shorter than the non-drive side and the wheel hasn’t usually needed a significant amount of corrective dishing.

When I put the (correct) dimensions for the disc hub build in several spoke calculators they all came back with the drive side spoke lengths a couple of mm’s longer than the non-drive side.

Is this normal for rear disc brake hubs?

Just looking for some reassurance before I dish the wheel in the bike frame tomorrow and pull all the eyelets out of the rim 😕

cynic-al
    Free Member

If the NDS flange is bigger then it may have longer spokes.

In any even unless they are way out it’ll prob be OK – just tighten the DS until it’s roughly centre then work from there.

slugwash
    Free Member

If the NDS flange is bigger then it may have longer spokes.

Just thought about it and yes it has!
    Now why didn’t I think of that?

Cheers Al, I can sleep soundly tonight 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

the last few wheels i have built (hope hubs) have had the same length spoke on l/r of the rear (same as 1 side of front too)

😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry NDS flange larger means shorter spokes 😳

slugwash
    Free Member

Sorry NDS flange larger means shorter spokes

I read it as you meaning the larger spokes being on the drive side, so no worries.

(hope hubs) have had the same length spoke on l/r of the rear (same as 1 side of front too)

Here’s another interesting spoke fact…

The front & rear, left and right, hard-to-get-hold-of, flat spokes on my old Mavic Crossrides are all the same length. I’ve got several spares but haven’t had to change one yet 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘FAO Wheelbuilders – Rear Disc Hub Drive Side Spoke Length Query ??’ is closed to new replies.