Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • FAO Skiers/snowboarders
  • Duane…
    Free Member

OK, as of a week and a half ago, I "snowboard" (spur of the moment decision, bought board/bindings/boots dead cheap of a mate, and just been going down hills on it).
    Have just been using my brothers army Goretex waterproof trousers and Scott ski jacket, but Im back at uni now, so want to get some of my own gear.

Main thing is cheap, so Im going to try and get to TKmaxx tomorrow.

Anyway, main question is about fit etc. Should the coats/trousers fit just like "normal£ coats/trousers, or be baggy etc?
    At home I was just wearing the coat over a tshirt as it gets hot walking back up the hill, but with lifts, guessing you;d be wearing a thick hoody under?
    And trousers, I was wearing the Goretex over jeans, do you wear ski trousers over anything?

Whats the deal with salopettes? Yay or nay?

How important/beneficial is using ski socks over two pairs of normal socks?

Any other good cheap places to look for ski gear? Im in Edinburgh

Oh, and as said, cheap is very good at the moment. But I dont want to waste money. Is a £30 pair of trousers going to be crap? How about a £40 coat?

Thanks all, Duane.

peachos
    Free Member

baggy – yes. the baggier the better! you want to be able to get low and have full unrestricted movement so look for strides that are have a wide cut and stance.

tk maxx, as you say is the best place to score some bargains, they'll no doubt have some good choices for you. personally i wouldn't buy jacket or pants under £100 but depends where you're planning to use it; are you just looking to get geared up to ride at the local snowdome/dry slope or you thinking more like getting out to the alps? doesn't really matter what you wear in the UK but if you're going to be out all day in the alps where the weather can change quite easily you'll want some quality gear that's properly waterproof and breathable. and as with tech mtb clothes, the more you pay the better designed features you'll end up with (vents, plenty of pockets etc).

depends on the weather and how much you feel the cold as to what you would wear under your jacket. i generally wear a base, gillet & thin jacket all season.

socks are socks really…unless you want to buy fancy merino socks that wont stink after 7 hours of sweating.

ellis brigham have a good sale on at the mo.
    check out snowboard-clearance.com

DT78
    Free Member

Baggy/tight is more down to fashion, buy what fits you and you have ease of movement in –

Look to buy second hand (off ebay or the like) go for kit which has a decent breathability or you will boil in the bag on the slopes.

I completely disagree with the comment above on socks. Decent socks make the difference in me being able to ride all day and getting pressure pains after a couple of hours. Buy the best you can. Proper snowboarding socks have padding in the right places.

And do not go riding properly with out wrist guards as a beginner. I'd also strongly suggest a helmet and maybe a back guard. When you wipe out at speed you can really hurt yourself.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Jacket and trousers baggyish. Taped seams, as high waterproofing and breathability as you can get.
    Under those proper layering, no cotton hoodies which get soaked with sweat and the snow sticks to the pointless extra hood.
    Thermal leggings under your trousers.
    Salopettes are unnecessary, your jacket will have a powder skirt. Trousers should have internal gaiters to keep snow out.
    Good socks are well worth it. Cheap tube socks are rubbish.
    TKmaxx have loads of stuff. A lot of it is rubbish though.
    Single lens bike goggles will steam up more than proper vented double lens goggles.

I find scotlands conditions more demanding on your clothing than europe, the snow is usually wetter, its blowing a gale and it might rain.

GrahamS

Socks: definitely worth at least wearing hiking socks, but proper boarding socks are best are they cushion and support your feet in the right place. Wearing two pairs of normal socks will just make your feet slip about and give you blisters.

I suggest:
    1) join Snowboard Club UK to get a discount on any new gear you buy
    2) get yourself along to XScape in Glasgow and get a couple of lessons to start you off on the right foot (also discounted through SCUK).

Hairychested
    Free Member

I bought some skiing gear there a couple of years ago and no problems whatsoever. Trespass and Cross have been ok with me, I have no need for better clothing. I went for black and not too baggy. Other gear is off the bike – base layers etc. Socks make a huge difference though. Enjoy the fluffy white stuff.

Mugboo

I,ve never ridden in Scotland but plenty in France/Andorra/Canada.

Socks, defo good quality Snowboard specific socks.
    Underwear, any old thermals/fancy base layers.
    Drifit layers/thin fleece (your biking stuff might be perfect)

Outerwear – i have never spent more than £80 on a coat or £60 on pants, i have never had the need for Goretex and only occasionally get a wet bum. This way if you see another bargain you just bang your used stuff on Ebay and watch somebody give you most of your money back!

Sallopettes are superb, nice and high (think Cowell) and you can wear any outercoat as you won't need a snowskirt.

I bought some big Level mits last year from Takky Maxx for half price, highly recommended.

Always wear wrist guards and helmets are cheap and comfy and you wouldn't ride a bike without one would you??

singletrackmind

Trespass were doing entry level helmets at £40. They looked like a Burton , and were well padded.
    Be careful, someone might be along in a minute to tell you how helmets dont make a difference . . . . . .

juiced
    Free Member

my local tkmaxx had a technical westbeach ( high end) jacket in clearnace for £30.!!!that's gotta be at least 200 notes new.

Helmets, wrist guards ( I use skateboarding ones ) are a great idea.
    I also wear knee pads and elbow pads ( cheap but decent skateboard/ rollerblade ones) under my clothing to. I should imagine somewhere like sports direct do them cheap.May be even worth looking on argos.

If the weather is foul I wear thin thermal leggings under my pants. I always wear a thermal top under my jacket as a base layer as a minimum.

don't forget to take you wrist guards with you when trying out gloves to see if they fit over them with ease.

peachos
    Free Member

wrist guards = a waste of space. the vast majority of broken wrists i have seen (2x seasons so have seen a few) have been suffered by people who were wearing wrist guards. not saying that the broken wrists were down to the wrist guards, just that they don't actually absorb the impact as you would expect from something designed to absorb the impact; you fall backwards and put the heal of your hands down and there is still nowhere for that energy to be transferred apart from up through your wrist. better to learn how to fall properly!

never heard so much sock hype in all of my life!

concur on the helmet though; seen plenty of unconscious folk on the mountains

juiced
    Free Member

good point peachos. TRy to keep arms in when bailing ie not putting arms down.

martinxyz
    Free Member

get boots first. you can manage on the hill wearing diffrent jackets and pants but you need to get into one pair of boots that you are really happy with.

try them on with one pair of socks when buying and buy them snug without the toes nudging up front.more than one pair of socks on the cold days wont make you any warmer.two pairs of thick socks in a pair of boots that were always too big for you will never be right and wont hold yer heels right at all.

juiced
    Free Member

snug fitting boots with no heal lift 🙂

tragically1969
    Free Member

Wristguards, i read some research by an orthapedic surgeon to suggest that in a large impact (which would have broken the wrist anyway) they tend to move the fracture further up the arm, which can be worse.

Bunnyhop

Duane- I see you are in North Wales, if you read my thread, there's boarding and skiing to be had in Halifax.
    Be good for you to practise on.

GrahamS

Wrist guards: never seen the point. Just fall properly, tuck and roll like coming off a bike.
    Knee & elbow pads: why? Snow isn't generally that hard.

I only recently adopted impact shorts and a helmet after I started learning freestyle at Xscape, where there is considerably more risk of clattering off something hard. Never bothered with any protection prior to that. I really don't think it is neccessary for learning and pootling around the slopes – but removal of risk seems to be the way of things and helmets are now pretty popular.

never heard so much sock hype in all of my life!

Not saying he should spend a fortune but just wearing two pairs of normal everyday socks is a quick way to sore feet and blisters, plus they probably won't come far enough up his leg. Just get a couple of pairs of proper boarding socks (not "ski tubes"!).

Mugboo

I don't have time for a broken wrist and only snowboarding once a year means practising falling only happens after my first morning on snow.

Since wearing wristguards i haven't even hurt my wrists, even though i have felt them tweak.

Thing is when you fall at speed it happens so fast you tend to just go with the flow, ie, no harm done, its when you have those silly low speed tumbles that your arm goes out as an instict…

As for clothing, snowboarding is one of those sports where you are quite often inactive/too cold or active/too warm so layers and vents are a must.

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies all.

Went to TKMaxx before, bought a pair of trousers. Theyre Shredz (which looks like a non existant company :?) but they seem OK, got side vents, a high back part, inner bit (to go inside the boot), £40, just look a bit off (black, but with tiny white dots…). Hopefully theyll be OK.
    Anyone had bad experiences with Shredz gear?

Was tempted to get gloves and jacket, but held out.
    Ive got my brothers old ski jacket, its massive and looks wierd, but will do til Ive got a bit more money.
    HHow long should the jacket sleeves be? Like the same length as a normal jacket, or longer to overlap the gloves more? And Im guessing you tuck the gloves inside the sleeves?

And ski gloves. Ive just got some fat Thinsulate jobbies atm (not ski specific), but guessing they wont be amazing. How important are removeable liners? Any other pointers with gloves?

Ta, Duane.

DT78
    Free Member

Gloves you can get either under or over cuff, meaning they do up over or under your jacket. Removeable liners are a pita when they get wet trying to get you hands in the outer glove can be really difficult.

I'm surprised about people not recommending wrist guards. I've hit the ground so hard that I've tweaked my wrist with guards on, I would have hate to have thought what would have happened if I hadn't had them on.

I also use knee guards & impact shorts when it's icy (snow is not always soft…)or when I'm practising rails. When I was a beginner I actually used to use full body armour as I hurt so much after my first week on the slopes!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think waterproof shell ski-pants are very important as you will be sitting in snow a lot when learning. I'm a hot person so don't wear anything underneath, but track-pants or thermals are good.

Get good gloves.

I recommend skate wrist guards unless you are an expert at break-falls. If you really nail your wrist it will break further up which is more easily pinned compared with the mass of tiny bones at the wrist itself. At least that's what the quacks told me when I did mine (without guards).

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Duane

You haven't said where you will be boarding – Indoor snow centre, Scotland, Alpes, N America/Canada? and also the time of year – now (cold) March (spring conditions (although not always!))

Will have bearing on what you will need to keep you warm and dry. Also if away in march – ski shops will have sales on by then
    On the gloves note – Waterproof and Breathable. If your hands get wet, they will get cold and you will stop enjoying the day. (TK maxx had some Level gloves in stock at the start of the season – been using level gloves for a few years now with no complaints)

GrahamS

inner bit (to go inside the boot)

Generally (without seeing your actual trousers) that bit goes outside the boot. If it goes in the boot then you'll just encourage snow/water to run down them into the boots.

Removeable liners are a pita.

Really? Like removable liners here. Keep your hands warm while taking main glove off for fiddly bits (binding adjustments, photo, zips etc). Plus you can wash them to avoid the dreaded Mitt Ming. 😀

Mugboo

The other thing about liners is they dry much quicker for the next day.

I also like those inner cuffs on jackets, once they are tucked inside my RED wrist guards (recommended) it means i'm snow free. Once again a big up for Level mits, in fact it would pain me to pay the full £60 but i am impressed.
    I bought large gloves because i am a serial fiddler, camera/bindings/video/etc.. This makes it much easier to get them on and off – think ice hockey fights!

Duane…
    Free Member

Cheers for the comments, just picked up a pair of Level gloves, look quite good.

Any thoughts on Trespass gear (jackets)? Ive got a Marmot coat from my brother, but its huge, so have bought a Trespass Glacier jacket (£40 from tkmaxx), but Ive heard theyre not as good a brand? Its got taped seams, vents, pockets, removeable hood etc etc Its waterproof 2000mm whatever that means.

Keep, or return and get something better once Ive got a bit more cash?

Duane.

jam-bo

2000? or 20000?

2000 isnt very waterproof/breathable.

got a nice burton ronin jacket that i'd sell if your interested. BA bought it for me after they lost my luggage in the T5 fiasco.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IME, a really good base layer is the most important thing. Again, get to TK MAxx and see if there's any Patagonia Merino. If not, you can get merino from a number of places (Endura BaaBaa is pretty good on the bike).

Then, proper Polartec fleece as a mid layer (Weight dependent on the weather)

Finally, the jacket. Windproof is essential, waterproofing is an odd thing, as a bin bag is waterproof! Go for something which is both waterproof AND breathable. Even better if it has vents, such as pitzips. I use either an eVent jacket or something made from Entrant (A nearly forgotten, but rather good fabric for snow!)

Duane…
    Free Member

jambo, 2000. Any more info on the jacket? Price? Size? Colour? Pics/info to duanebw (at) gmail.com please 🙂

FWIW, Ive been wearing a standard t-shirt and hoody under this Marmot jacket today on my local ski slope, bit warm (probably be OK just with tshirt under jacket), but was fine really.
    Maybe Im just used to not having fancy layers etc, on the bike I normally just wear a breathabe t-shirt jobby, but then again I dont do much XC.

This Trespass jacket has pit vents.

GrahamS

FWIW, Ive been wearing a standard t-shirt and hoody under this Marmot jacket today on my local ski slope, bit warm

you never did say where you were riding? If it's a local slope in Wales then you might not need quite as much insulation as you need at -35° C in Canada, but you're probably more likely to need better waterproofing.

Duane…
    Free Member

Was a dry ski slope, covered in snow, just outside Edinburgh.

But yeah, see your point, slightly different conditions in a blizard at minus whatever.

Thing is, dont fancy spending much at the moment, as I cant imagine Ill be boarding a whole lot more this season anyway, so might just keep this Trespass one, maybe…
    Unless that Burton jacket is nice 🙂

lardman
    Free Member

helmet.. yes
    snug, good boots…. yes
    good goggles….. yes
    good gloves…. yes

the clothes bit is a little down to how comfortable you can afford. I first went in a plastic mac, and some combats sprayed in water-repellant stuff. Yep, i was cold and wet occasionally, but laughed my head off too! So, if you can afford, then buy, if not then blag.

wristguards… Nah!
    expensive board…. nah! (not for a beginner anyway, although i'm sure my Burton Carbon Custom makes me closer to Terji Hakenson Someone)
    Board lock, would be wise, and they are real cheap.

have fun, and prey for the POW…

GrahamS

Was a dry ski slope, covered in snow, just outside Edinburgh.

Ah Hillend? Was nearly up there myself tonight after deciding not to go through to Xscape this week.

I cant imagine Ill be boarding a whole lot more this season anyway

Well apparently the Scottish resorts are enjoying the best start to the season for fourteen years so hopefully you'll have plenty more chances to board!

Duane…
    Free Member

Aye, was up yesterday evening too, pretty good fun 🙂

Well, I was up at Cairngorm on Monday, and hopefully going again on saturday, and friday and saturday of necxt week too 🙂 But I think the conditions in Scotland are rather "tame" compared to what you could get in the Alps? ie maybe not needing such fancy clothing…

flatfish
    Free Member

Santa brought me a back and elbow protector from tk maxx.
    rrp is £225, tk maxx price £60.

jam-bo

I can get some pics later but its the same size and colour as this one, I've got spare snowboarding trousers as well if your after some:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MENS-BURTON-RONIN-SNOWBOARDING-JACKET-MEDIUM_W0QQitemZ160392251413QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Skiing_Snowboarding_Clothing_LE?hash=item25581f8815#ht_500wt_1182

Beagleboy

After my mate's wife broke her wrist up at Glen Shee t'other week, I immediately went online and bought myself a set of Dakine wristguards. Postie delivered them yesterday, and there is no chuffing way they will fit under my gloves! 🙄

As for Takky Maxx stuff, santa brought me a 'Surfanic' branded jacket and saloppettes which were superbly dry and warm in the whiteout conditions up on Glen Shee's ridge on Saturday. I also treated myself to 'proper' ski socks with 50% merino wool and the comfort difference is phenomenal. Like someone said earlier, they really do help alleviate the problem of painful pressure points after a days worth of beginner level boarding. I'd also 2nd getting a good pair of waterproof gloves. I treated myself to a pair of Salomon Gore-tex gloves last winter when I was up on the Nevis range and have never looked back. I'd compare it to my first experience of Shimano winter boots….bliss, sheer bliss. 🙂

GrahamS

But I think the conditions in Scotland are rather "tame" compared to what you could get in the Alps?

Not sure about that. It can get fairly nasty in Scotland when it wants to. You're certainly more likely to get wet. 🙂

I've been up there when the wind turned. They shut straight way. The wind was strong enough that I had to crouch to make the board go downhill and cover any exposed skin to avoid it being blasted in the snowstorm it kicked up.

But the advantage is that the resorts are so small that you're never that far from shelter.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Best place for ski/snowboard stuff is ebay. Some bargains out there if you know what your looking for.

Dont be fooled into thinking you need super tech outerwear for skiing, anything of 5k or above waterproof/breathability will be fine as its pretty dry normally. Baselayers are a good investment if you dont already have some. Proper socks – yes.

Fit – Baggy for movement/style although some of the cool kids are now wearing skinny fit sytle pants!

Baselayer, t-shirt, hoody, jacket will be fine for most conditions. I'm a bit fan of long-johns too!

Duane…
    Free Member

jambo, how much? Whats your email?

jam-bo

just sent you an email.

sharkbait
    Free Member

My gear for a quick drag around on wednesday:

Most of it's about 9 years old now but still works fine – fashions may change but the basics remain the same.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘FAO Skiers/snowboarders’ is closed to new replies.