Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • FAO montecarlo owners (B.A. et al) – unlock
  • scaredypants

modaco now has a set of instructions and downloads to unlock your MC

works fine, though back up your stuff 1st and be sure you have access to 3G to download the file explorer they suggest (unless you can save the installer in advance somehow). Must be 3G as you need this to reactivate your wifi which stops working when fix is applied

😀

br
    Free Member

There was me expecting a Lancia thread…

scaredypants

😳

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Cheers for that sp.
    would you like to root, unlock and put new os on my phone for me? : )

scaredypants

yeh, £65 plus P&P ??

seriously, it’s easy – I know SFA about this stuff but I managed

have you been to modaco ?

Read the superboot thread (1st post only, really) and the “want to unlock your phone” one

I only saw yr reply because I’m shoving on another OS to see what’s what
    (bluemonte, I believe !)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Did you just follow all the instructions on modaco? I was thinking about rooting it first. Am I right in thinking that rooting gives you a sort of admin status, I wan’t to uninstall all the orange crap.

scaredypants

superboot is for rooting (installs a thing called clockworkmod as well that allows you to stick new OS on there)

antTek app manager is good for removing the orange crap (can freeze it 1st to be sure that losing it doesn’t harm the operation of yr phone, then delete it)
    Titanium backup can, err, back up all your apps and settings onto the SD card (or even yr PC) so you can reinstall if you wish

the unlock is only necessary if you want a different SIM card

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve been a member on Modaco for a few months and read thru the instrustions a few times for rooting and moding the ROM, but I’m too scared to do it. I can’t even decide at the moment if I want to stick with orange (I get a £5pm disc on my broadband/homephone) or go giffgaff.

MikeG

I unlocked mine yesterday 😀

I can’t see any good reason to keep Orange, their data packages are appalling and god forbid if you ever have to phone them 😈

£10 giffgaff goodybag for unlimited data and more texts and minutes than I can use (although I don’t do much phoning on my phone)

My San Francisco can go on ebay now 😆 have you seen the prices they go for secondhand 😯 in some cases you can go to Orange and buy a brand new one for less.

edit: unlocking the monte carlo is easy, took 20ish minutes and most of that was downloading the files. Find the apk for ES file explorer and copy it to your sd card before you start and you won’t need a 3g connection to restore wifi

scaredypants

mike g – top tip, that 😳

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

mikeG was your OMC otherwise stock Orange and unrooted when you unlocked it? Or had you already fiddled with it?

The OMC prices on ebay seem to be completely crazy as well, sellers seem to be unaware that you can now buy one for £119 or less from orange, I paid £77 after various cash back disc.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

mike g – top tip, that

See, I haven’t got a clue what he’s talking about. SP, when you claim to be a clueless phone idiot, I think you’re having me on. 😉

scaredypants

BA – you have to root it before you can do pretty much anything (including getting the orange apps off)

the top tip bit was referring to es file explorer – when you do the unlock it disables your wifi and you need to use the program to reset your MAC code. My problem is I live out of town and the 3g is very patchy; took ages to get it via the market when I could’ve downloaded the apk file (installer for android) to my pc and copied it across

you are right though – I’m the shizzle at almost everything, me

scaredypants

want me to email you the files you need ?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

want me to email you the files you need ?

Yes Please
    hopwood[dot]mail[at]gmail[dot]com

scaredypants

sorry BA, saw this & tried to send but either too big or otherwise unaccetable to gmail so haven’t sent.

You do have email though

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘FAO montecarlo owners (B.A. et al) – unlock’ is closed to new replies.