Viewing 17 posts - 161 through 177 (of 177 total)
  • FAO doubters
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

where’s my transfers? Frame builder ain’t what they didn’t used to be 😡

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think it failed because it was tested in a low stakes situation. You probably lacked the commitment to brake properly. Try it on a steep hill and leave it till late to brake. This will give the bond some time to warm up.

Oooh! film it as well!

IanMunro
    Free Member

I see al’s also been upgrading TJ’s tandem.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Errrrmate – safety first, but also cosmetically yuch, esp. on a lovely Ti frame. The commercial solution with the brace that bolts to the brake-stub on the seat stay also looks fairly freaky/fugly to me as well. Could you get a Ti fabricator to weld a neat little Ti brace/plate across both stays, then drill, thread and bolt the caliper to that?

Poldarn
    Free Member

Sorry, I have to comment on this. Please give up on this project – what’s the very best outcome? A dodgy bodge that you’ll always be worried about. Just not worth it, go for a COTS* solution and enjoy your biking. Oh, and your poor ti frame! If you want to play at engineering then that’s brilliant but do it in a safe way.

*Commercial off the shelf

druidh
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

The forks are looking good btw fans 😎

leffeboy

Evenin’ mr Al, can I join in the fun too

Seriously though, with the right epoxy/prep and a full warp round the stay to stop the peeling, might it not work?

Is the problem not with the bolt attached to the frame but rather with the bolt attached to the brace (spoon)? If the caliper can rotate round the bolt in the frame then the brace is likely to rotate around the bolt in the caliper. That will then give you a much larger force straight up the brace which will be very difficult to stop 🙁

Is it not possible to make the brace extend down below qthe place it bolts to the caliper so that if it tries to rotate the lower half of the brace will push against the topmof the caliper and stop it? (wishes he had t’internet skilz to draw pics)

cynic-al
    Free Member

yes Rik 😛

leffeboy

Cool. Are we going to see a modified version or is it not worth the hassle? I’m looking for a good distraction to keep me away from the work I have to do for tomorrow

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ll probs re-do it.

I’ll post up again when I test the fork before that though 😀

leffeboy

Runs off to find the thread about fork bodging….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cynic-al –

And apologies, TJ we were at odds at the start of the thread internet and never got back on track.
    Is that an apology? 😯

I’d better apologise for being quite so harsh in my first post then. come out sounding much harsher than intended altho it was intended as a slagging but funnny

iDave
    Free Member

I’ll post up again when I test the fork

Is a fork really going to be a better solution than the spoon was? Maybe a steak knife is the answer?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think you have the makings of a good design. You need to find a supplier/ manufacturer who might support you in this venture.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Gluing spoons to your bike, the latest STW niche?

Woody
    Free Member

Fitting kitchen equipment to your bike is old hat nicheness

Viewing 17 posts - 161 through 177 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘FAO doubters’ is closed to new replies.