Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 177 total)
  • FAO doubters
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

well sceptics, I did it and it seems pretty solid. If you see my epitaph on stw tomorrow, you’ll know what happened.

IMAG0478.jpg by alan cole, on Flickr

TheSwede
    Free Member

Looks great. What could possibly go wrong 🙄

iDave
    Free Member

just needs a jubilee clip and duc tape

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez you lot would piss on anyone’s chips would you not? 🙄

mboy
    Free Member

So the rack is structural now is it? 😉

Northwind

That’s horrible, looks like I welded it 😆

Well OK maybe not quite that bad.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nope, never was, CBA removing it for pic.

Just imagine it’s not there 😛

trailertrash

please can you explain what you have done?

scaredypants

please can you explain what you have done?

al has fastened a spoon-handle to his bike using old chuddy scraped off the bottom of a school desk 😉

trailertrash

sure looks like it….why has he done that….and to a Ti frame no less?

trailertrash

Nope, never was, CBA removing it for pic.

Just imagine it’s not there

We can but dream…

scaredypants

To be fair – I’m liking his style on this one

hope he lives 😐

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

That is so awful; Its does not even appear to be one plate but two straps of alloy with no triangulation. Even if the lower mount stays rigid the calliper will rotate around lower mounting bolt, clash on the disc and just push the glued on top mount straight off. Its laughable its so cruddy. And you claim to be a mechanic and have good physics knowledge? thats one of the worst bodges have ever seen.

Any credibility you ever had as a mechanic is just gone.

trailertrash

harsh but essentially fair by TJ

it really does look like a spoon.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s an entertaining bodge.

certainly worth doing/taking a photo of/testing.

just, er, don’t test it under circumstances where you’ll be hurt if it doesn’t work very well, ok?

HermanShake
    Free Member

Fortune favours the brave, but remember “there is no spoon” 😉

ziggy
    Free Member

Please let me be there with a video camera when you first try that brake in anger 😆

Sorry to repeat, but what could possibly go wrong?

A clear example of someone’s ambition outstripping their talent.

Woody
    Free Member

Magnificent.

Have one of these for effort and entertainment value

Robz
    Free Member

Why even go to the effort to do all that for a cable disc?

I don’t understand.

toys19
    Free Member

And you claim to be a mechanic and have good physics knowledge?

Teej, and you claim Al makes ad hominen attacks on you? That was a bit mean.

It’s hard to tell from the pics, but at first glance it looks risky..
    It seems that any resistance to rotation is reliant on the frictional force in the bolts, and the stiffness of the glue joint? Which are both, ummm not good. Is the spoon connected to anything else in any way other than the single bolt and the glue? (I’m hoping there is something we have missed which isn’t obvious?)

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Good on ya mate.10/10 for effort. 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    That is so awful; Its does not even appear to be one plate but two straps of alloy with no triangulation. Even if the lower mount stays rigid the calliper will rotate around lower mounting bolt, clash on the disc and just push the glued on top mount straight off. Its laughable its so cruddy. And you claim to be a mechanic and have good physics knowledge? thats one of the worst bodges have ever seen.

I truly am sorry that I appear to have sufficiently upset you to make you act like a crying schoolboy and type without thinking.

Here’s a clearer pic, have a think about what you see and see if you want to revisit any of the above before I destroy it. Oh and how is my ability as a mechanic (proven in various lbs over decades) related to my ability as a designer/fabricator? A mere moment’s thought establishes the 2 are quite different.

IMAG0479 by alan cole, on Flickr

toys19 – Member
    It seems that any resistance to rotation is reliant on the frictional force in the bolts, and the stiffness of the glue joint?…Is the spoon connected to anything else in any way other than the single bolt and the glue?

It’s not a spoon, it’s 4mm plate steel 🙄 the lower mount is bolted on by 2 M5 bolts to the frame, the upper mount is glue/CF wrap, under the wrap the arm is about 2″ long where if mates to the stay.

Robz – Member
    Why even go to the effort to do all that for a cable disc?

I don’t understand.

(1) You can’t get hydraulic discs for drop bar brake levers and (ii) they work as well as hydraulics.

trailertrash – Member
    sure looks like it….why has he done that….and to a Ti frame no less?

ti frame – ideal for the bike’s purpose, easy to remove the mount & revert if it doesn’t work out – would be a lot more tricky if the frame was painted.

You lot really haven’t thought your flaming through at all have you?[/b]

🙄

ianpinder
    Free Member

I think TJ meant the triangulation on the top mount, I hate to say this but I probably agree with him on this sole point.

I would just quickly add a piece so the top mount was a triangle, then you will be ok. Other then that good bodge.

toys19
    Free Member

Al you cheeky bugger I was trying to be constructive not flame you. Unless the top mount is connected to the caliper by some method other than the single bolt then it looks to be a risky design.

ianpinder
    Free Member

toys19 – Member
    Al you cheeky bugger I was trying to be constructive not flame you. Unless the top mount is connected to the caliper by some method other than the single bolt then it looks to be a risky design.

It’s more to do with the single mount of the bolt onto the frame (if you know what I mean) I think we are essentially saying the same thing. This will cause big bending moments in your frame which are not a good idea.

bullheart
    Free Member

I love it. Build me one. I’m not afraid of death.

toys19
    Free Member

It’s more to do with the single mount of the bolt onto the frame (if you know what I mean) I think we are essentially saying the same thing. This will cause big bending moments in your frame which are not a good idea.

TBH I think they are both equally likely to fail for the same reason.

I think Al is trolling, winding us up or carrying out some kind of social experiment..

wwaswas

You really pought to dust your server/comms room occasionally.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I would just quickly add a piece so the top mount was a triangle, then you will be ok.

2 spoons then 😉

The bottom mount looks very nifty though.

And yes bb7’s are truly ace and a match for many hydraulic brakes.

Is that a 140mm rotor Al? If so, good. If not, would it mitigate against or hasten premature failure?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry toys I wasn’t intending to include you among the lame-flamers.

Look at the line of force into the top arm – what would adding a strut to it achieve? Remember the two bolts are connected by the solid brake mount, and the rear bolt is rigidly mounted by a triangulated strut.

It may of course break! 😀 Truth is I made it that way as I’d kind of f**ked up the mount first time round and CBA making a whole new one 😎 and my plate of steel is getting small 🙁 if it does break a beefier one will follow

Test riding shortly.

druidh
    Free Member

I had expected the whole mount to be one-piece – i.e. the “spoon handle” would be joined to the lower triangle. Is there a reason for not doing this?

smell_it
    Free Member

You are living the dream Al, most of us can only imagine it.

Bez

If that’s the dream, at least it explains why I’ve had such a dreadful might’s sleep.

Drac

boblo
    Free Member

I wonder why this hasn’t been marketed yet…. 😉

Do yourself a favour, sort out a triangular spoon for the top mount then the caliper won’t be able to rotate (well not without bending the stay anyway) and you’ll be a lot less reliant on that black scab holding the whole thing together.

oldgit
    Free Member

You know that blue nylon string you find tied to the corner of old palets…well where’s that then? I can’t see any.

nickf
    Free Member

Does this mean you can’t lend your bike to Uri Geller?

Probably a good thing, to be honest.

bedmaker

that should be buried at sea

rOcKeTdOg

kleenex “mansize”, really??

MentalMickey
    Free Member

That DVD player seems a bit dusty, tut tut. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘FAO doubters’ is closed to new replies.