Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • Fanny bashers
  • TheSwede
    Free Member

Any girlies out there riding bikes that are really too big in the seat tube for them. Building up my old IF for the other half. Too small for me. Broke it once already and had it fixed so its going to built up small so she can ride it but just sat her on it and she stands with the curtains on the top tube. Is this dangerous. Will she get used to dismounting on to tip toes or will it all end in bruised lipage and tears.

falkirk-mark

this needs pics (to help you understand)

theboatman
    Free Member

Would you ride a bike where the top tube parted your plums?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Will get pics tomorrow eve. Watch this space.

cinnamon_girl

I reckon that for an IF I could put up with a bit of discomfort 😉

To be honest I am more concerned that the seatpost is at the correct height. You just have to forget about lack of clearance.

However, if the bike is broken then surely she deserves a new one, IF naturally!

falkirk-mark

cheers the more detailed the better (help is on its way)

falkirk-mark

ooooer missus

TheSwede
    Free Member

Hmmmm. Hadn't thought of it like that.

TheSwede
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl
    She's been fixed up real nice.

cinnamon_girl

If it's a man's bike then geometry will be different. We get used to adapting! I would say that on my bikes I probably could not even stand on tiptoes.

TheSwede
    Free Member

She's very manly (cough) in an athletic kinda way and hopefully not going to read this.

psling
    Free Member

24" wheels ~ you know it makes sense 😉

Either that or spd her jimmy schoo platforms…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

If she does you won't be 'manly' for very long… 😆

cinnamon_girl

Actually I don't know what's worse – you or that druid giving his wife an Inbred when he gets the lightweight SC carbon full suss 🙄

sobriety
    Free Member

I'd just get her a cheap frame that has more standover/shorter reach to be honest, my missus hated my 17" stumpy frame as it was too long so she couldn't shift her weight properly, changed it for a cheap 15" frame from CRC and she's grinning like an idiot everywhere!

cinnamon_girl

sobriety – not always possible! Some frames have long top tubes, some are compact. Some women's specific have very little difference.

sobriety
    Free Member

Yeah, i suppose it's horses for courses, i'll refine my previous opinion to build it up watch her ride it and then decide (or let her decide!) if it fits, with Julez it was pretty obvious that it was too tall/long, despite it being almost too small for me (& i'm only a couple on inches taller than she is…)

TheSwede
    Free Member

well im 6ft 1" and shes about 5ft 3". I used to have a seat tube that touched the clouds ( which is what broke the frame in the first place ) and a 100mm stem with 2" risers rolled forward. Twas way too short in the top tube for me. Its such a beautifull frame and i would be chuffed if she could use it otherwise its going to be sold. Starting to loose faith in ti after seeing your bars pete but were'nt they made in the 50's 🙂

CheesybeanZ

is it the extra girth of the top tube your worried about 😉

TheSwede
    Free Member

No its just the fear that shes going to out ride me, out class me, rip the piss out of me in front of you lot and cost me a fortune if she gets the bug. Why am i doing this again. Indy fab ti delux any one. Going cheap 🙂

fozzybear
    Free Member

following on from CG comments.
    my lovely GF had a pitch and while it rode well she just couldn't get on with the longer TT on it (women seam to have shorter upper body and longer legs).

she now rides a heckler which has a shorter TT and runs her saddle fairly high. all he back pain is gone and she is happy again.

glenp
    Free Member

There's no way that the seat tube can be that much too high and the bike still be an ok length. It might have been on the small side for you, but it doesn't sound like it is nearly small enough for her.

Solution: ascertain the right top tube length for her, buy a frame that fits and sell this one.

glenp
    Free Member

How long is the top tube on the IF?

hugorune

still no pics?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Pics tonight. I think its about 21.5 actual and 19 seat tube but i will measure it later. Quite an odd size if you ask me. For longish legs and short body. Which i am neither. Its about right in the cock sit for her though. Pipe lagging on the top tube 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

It sounds way way too big for her.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Thats what my neighbours keep saying 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

Her rubber friend that is. Sorry but this thread is "fanny bashers"

Andy-R

Its about right in the cock sit for her though.

😯

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

TheSwede – your choice of words in the subject and original post made me chuckle. I have no suggestions for you but agree that a bit of pipe lagging might offer a bit of comfort.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Eureka. I will just teach her never to fall off, track stand for hours and bunny hop gates just like me. Oh and sheldon 🙂

glenp
    Free Member

Def way too long for 5'3".

domino

It depends on how much you want your girlfriend to get into mountain biking. If you want her to ride with you and ejoy it, then the IF is totally not the way to go. If you prefer riding with your mates and want to put her off mountain biking then the IF is a good way to go. Riding a bike that is way too big and uncomfortable wouldn't be my idea of fun, even for an IF frame.

TheSwede
    Free Member

I think i will measure her too. Think she is more like 5ft 6". 5ft 3" sounds a little midgetesque. Not to be hightist.

mrsflash
    Free Member

5ft 3 is tall!

domino

Too right mrsflash! Also proud to be 5'3 here.

TheSwede
    Free Member

oh and forgot to add that im building this bike up out of all the spare crap in my garage. Just need brakes. Obviously if she does get the bug and more to the point find the time, what with three horses, two dogs, 20 chickens, her mother and one large, greedy, dependent and demanding pig to look after, then she will have something more fitting and far less precious.to fall off.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Right shes 5ft 5.5" Didn't have time to measure the frame but I will if anyone's interested in it. Forks are at 120mm and need reducing to 100mm really. Oh and I tried to get her to pose in a thong lads but she was busy mucking out the horses.

ton

if she is a horse rider, which i think she is, she will be as tough as old boots down below, so don't worry…….. 😉

TheSwede
    Free Member

I wouldn't know mate 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Fanny bashers’ is closed to new replies.