Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fancy Dress
  • jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

What year is this?

thepurist

Year Zero?

sharkbait
    Free Member

You could ask the same question in 50 years time and the clothing will be the same.
    Do you have a problem with it?

midlifecrashes

Where’s the wig? No need to repeat Jack Straw’s error.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Do you have a problem with it?

I find it a bit odd…

Do all Secretaries of State dress up to be sworn in?

midlifecrashes

That’s not the dress of a Secretary of State, it’s the correct dress of the Lord Chancellor, an officer of the court. It’s where the political arm of government overlaps with the judicial, much as the queen is the Commander in Chief of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I agree with JHJ.

And what are these herberts up to

Those hats….. seriously…….wtf ?

Northwind

I like that there are 50 new SNP members wandering around Westminster in a daze, wondering if they’ve accidentally gone to Hogwarts.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Given that a substantially large proportion of this forum will happily go out on a road bike wearing lycra figure (flab) hugging gear, its a bit rich having a go at ANYONE else!

Its tradition isnt it? Its what makes us English and what sets us apart making tourists want to come here.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Tourists come here to see Michael Gove in fancy dress ?

stimpy
    Free Member

midlifecrashes Gove isn’t wearing a wig because he’s not a lawyer

midlifecrashes

Tourists come here to see Michael Gove in fancy dress ?

Yes, especially for his breakfast.

Honest, it’s a real thing.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

That’s not the dress of a Secretary of State, it’s the correct dress of the Lord Chancellor, an officer of the court. It’s where the political arm of government overlaps with the judicial, much as the queen is the Commander in Chief of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces.

Hmm… interesting, good spot!!

I never knew about Lord Chancellors, or that they are the custodian of the Great Seal

And what are the Great Officers of State all about?

midlifecrashes

If I remember correctly, that would be the historical overlap between the Royal household and the judicial/legal system. There has to be a system in every country where laws and edicts get signed off by someone, or where a supposedly independent legal system gets steered to parliamentary will. Some of these folk have very odd job titles(and oufits), but the functions would still have to be done if we scrapped the lot and started from scratch.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fancy Dress’ is closed to new replies.