Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fancy a router but what to get for DIY use
  • orangeboy
    Free Member

Don’t want to spend loads but don’t want tat.
    Got a few furniture projects in mind as well as a camper build

bobmac892

Not be anything from Netgear or D-link then… My bad.

andyl
    Free Member

Wireless or wired? 😉

br
    Free Member

I’ve had cheap ones, and then took a punt on a s/h Trend T9.

Buy a Trend T9 🙂

parkesie
    Free Member

Macalister one worked for me doing kitchen work tops.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yeah, parkesie’s Macalister one is pretty good. Just bear in mind that spares availability is zero!

footflaps

I’ve got a couple, but this tiny Bosch thing is really nifty.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-gkf-600-palm-router-kit

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ordinarily i would say makita 1/2 inch but given the scope of work …. Footflaps bosch would be the winner 1/4 inch bits cheaper too 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve got a crappy Silverline 1/2″ I bought in an emergency for doing kitchen worktops. It’s rubbish. Bolts come undone, adjustment screws have rusted and the knobs fallen off. Don’t buy a cheap router. They are scary enough without the risk of it trying to kill you.

We had a 1/4″ one but needed a larger one for the worktop cutters.

Now I want something a bit less bulky and was looking at that small 600W bosch (£100 in screwfix + £50 for the plunge part as both ave 33% off at the moment) or the Makita one has adjustable speed but not sure if that is needed or not.

leffeboy

I’ve got a Bosch one as well but not as fancy as that. Brilliant bit of kit

footflaps

The best thing about the Bosch one is how little space it takes up. I’ve got a 1/2″ Bosch one, but it’s a beast compared with the 600W palm job.

kayak23

We have Bosch come in to do demos where I work (furniture making course) and he demoed that little one. Brilliant bit of kit.you can get different bases I believe which extends its use.
    Bosch stuff seems well designed and good quality.

Depends on the work you want to do with it really.. if it’s heavier work, a 1/2″ router may be better,, perhaps mounted inverted in a table as a mini spindle moulder.

footflaps

Brilliant bit of kit.you can get different bases I believe

It comes with 3 in the box IIRC. If you really want to know, I can nip out to the workshop and photo the set…..

OP If you’re anywhere near Cambridge you can borrow it for a play…

orangeboy
    Free Member

Thanks all I was looking on the Axminster site but just so much choice I did not know where to start

nickjb
    Free Member

Love my Bosch palm router. I have 3 routers. A huge one, a mid size and the little Bosch. I use the Bosch for 95% of jobs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fancy a router but what to get for DIY use’ is closed to new replies.