Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fancy a 27.5 plus hard tail – what frame?
  • twonks

After recently having an on one rigid fatty and loving most things about it, and a 456 evoii hard tail and also loved that, I’ve deicded to have a play with 27.5+ as N+1 following the sale of both the above.

Have got some X-Fusion Sweep 150 forks to go on, and read they’ll take 2.8 tyres, I fancy something like a Dartmoor plus frame to build up over the coming months.

All that will be needed is wheels and cables as required, so can really choose anything I want – up to a budget of say £500.

First choice was going to be a Chameleon (with the forks set lower) but, I am quite tempted by the look and price of the Dartmoor options.

Being older and quite erm… fat… I won’t be jumping around and launching off cliffs but, do want it to be on the playfull side of XC for trail centres in the main.

Any recomendations for frames to look at would be appreciated.

Thanks 😀

ajantom

DMR Trailstar. Designed for 27.5/27.5+
    Loving mine, built it up a month or so back. Fast as heck, but also a comfy ride. Also being DMR you know it’s built to last!

chakaping
    Free Member

Over budget and your fork is too long, but the Cotic Solaris is a cracking frame for all round MTBing.

Not averse to getting a bit of air time either.

Is your fork boost?

BadlyWiredDog

Sonder Carbon Transmitter is ace.

psycorp
    Free Member

Primal Plus.

scotroutes

There’s a Solaris Max in the Classifieds

chakaping
    Free Member

Ambitiously priced, but the seller may adjust his expectations.

Northwind

Primal Plus seems a good one, sizing is still a bit weird but better than the old Primal

leythervegas
    Free Member

I’d have a look at that lovely Genesis in the classifieds, looks a bargain to me

twonks

Cheers all. Chakaping, no the forks are regular 100×15 but I read over on a US site that a NN 2.8 (iirc) will fit with a 35 or 40mm rim.

Will probably go custom ish with the wheels, so as long as that is the case hopefully I’ll be able to get whatever is needed – assuming the frame is specced accordingly.

As good as the DMR Trailstar likely is, I find it gopping to look at. A bit shallow but, I think you have to admire a bike sitting there begging to be ridden – not hide it under a blanket 😆

I do like the look of the Primal plus, and would likely just get a brand new one for the cost. Having had a Soul in 26″ mk2 variant I like Cotic too.

Also looking at Stanton, in particular the Sherpa 853 Next Gen, but it is starting to get a bit out of control financially if I bought new.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

The DMR Trailstar looks a lot better in person than it does on the photos. I think they do a black version if the retro one is a bit funky too.

Stanton frames are things of beauty. I own the latest Slackline and love it, but it’s well over the budget you mentioned so won’t do the usual STW thing of recommending what I own.

sirromj

Before I settled on a Bird Zero TR after deciding I didn’t need plus size, I quite liked the look of the NS Bikes Eccentric CroMo, but the 2017 model didn’t seem to be stocked anywhere frame only. Gets good reviews and not ostentatiously priced.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

Have a look at the Onza Payoff too. I think they have a deal on them at the moment and they’re lovely frames.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Surely n+1 doesn’t apply if you have to sell 2 to get 1?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Try and pick up a Stanton second hand?

They’re bloody lovely and the 853 fame sets in particular are really nice to ride. I borrowed a new Slackline for a few weeks last year and I was really, really taken with it. The second gen Slackline and Switchback can both run plus tyres.

Not sure what size you’re after, but Pedal Addiction in Norwich had a few pre price rise frames that get you closer to your budget.

pigyn
    Free Member

We have loads at planet Pedals just now as have become a little obsessed! Plenty of deals to boot, zealous frames for peanuts that take a 2.8, ex demo orbea loki frame @ £200, new loki frame @ £300. Along with NS Djambo Evos for the slackness at £270, or steel version at £500.

Home

Get in touch I have gone on a plus bike bender :p

twonks

Thanks again. Loads to look at now, with a few names I’ve not seen before.

Flashinthepan – Didn’t really sell the two to get one, sold the On one frame and used to bits to build my old FS and the fatty was never going to be a permanent bike.

Still have 3 bikes and enough old half knackered bits I should really bin spares and frames to build another 2 at least, so am considering this N+1 :mrgreen: 😆

ajantom

As good as the DMR Trailstar likely is, I find it gopping to look at. A bit shallow but, I think you have to admire a bike sitting there begging to be ridden – not hide it under a blanket

Eye of the beholder and all that, but they do look a lot nicer in the flesh. I’ve had nothing but nice comments from riding mates, and even some other non-mates (who aren’t obliged to be nice!) have commented on it looking good.

I built mine up with a smattering of red bits to go with the slightly retro theme…

nwill1
    Free Member

Rode a 27.5″ Slackline today…blew me away…incredible IMO!

twonks

Think I’m going to go with a new Dartmoor Primal plus. Was set on the black frame but everybody I’ve asked an opinion from says red… doh.

It’s cheap ish so if I don’t like it I’m not much out, and hopefully the wheels will be switchable onto another frame etc.

Or I might have a closer look at the GT Pantera full bike and sell all the other bits I have. Reason for this is I like the look and have a nostalgic draw to the Pantera. I have a 96′ Pantera frame hanging in the garage as it was my first real mtb 🙂

Also saw loads of Stantons out yesterday round Cannock, most in different builds and styles. Look very nice and think it must have been an owners club outing or similar.

Didn’t really have the nerve to start talking to them as I always find it kind of weird when somebody starts a conversation with me whilst out riding 😆

ajantom

That Dartmoor looks nice, burly looking. Good price too.

Didn’t really have the nerve to start talking to them as I always find it kind of weird when somebody starts a conversation with me whilst out riding

I’d stopped for a wee on a ride the other day – it was quiet so I didn’t really go too far off the trail. Another rider stopped as it was at the top of a hill, and tried to start up a conversation as I was peeing! Safe to say I didn’t really respond.

twonks

After more reading it looks like it will always be a compromise using regular 27.5 forks with non boost axles, and the 110, 130, 150 settings I have available on the fork are not really in spec of any of the frames I’m looking at. Ok, only 10mm either side, but not ideal Isuppose.

I’m now pondering whether to cut my losses, sell the stuff I have and don’t use, then buy a Transmitter Carbon full bike.

Seems well enough specced in the Yari forked model for £1800 or so.

But then, if I’m spending that much there is probably a lot more to sit on and think about… doh..

Should have just bought the Primal plus frame on impulse and made do.. 😉

chestrockwell

Heard a rumour that the next Orange P7 is going +. Should be due before long.

twonks

Decision made. After much deliberating and adding bikes to baskets before backing out, I have settled for a Primal Plus frame with a few new bits and some out of the parts locker.

Also managed to scrape in some new brakes for the main bike so I can put the existing onto the Primal.

Bits should be here in a week or so and will post a pic / description up when it’s done if anybody is interested.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fancy a 27.5 plus hard tail – what frame?’ is closed to new replies.