• This topic has 223 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jeffc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 224 total)
  • Famous people you (sort of) know
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just talking with Mum about the Stephen Hawkings film and she reminded (told) me about the time I played and ‘danced’ with him during the Queens Silver Jubilee street party.

Apparently my interpretation of dancing involved spinning him around in his chair and then sprinting him up and down the street. My brother is/was a spastic in a wheel chair so even at 7 I had quite highly developed wheel chair pushing skills. Something Stephen and his parents weren’t aware of as I had him leaning on two wheels around the fastest corners of the dance floor.

Never knew I knew him before tonight and yes, he was in a wheel chair BEFORE i met him

jambourgie
    Free Member

😯

Wow. That’s a lot to take in.

I hate these ‘claim to fame’ threads because I have an awesome one but can never tell it.

*honest

RobHilton
    Free Member

Spotted Robert Vaughan in a cafe at a National Trust property a few years ago – he used to be really famous!

zippykona

I used to deliver Tina ‘I love to love’ Charles’ newspaper.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Hmmm where to start. Jimmy Savile.

Houns

My Nan’s Cousin’s Husband is a close relative of Rowan Atkinson

My Nan also used to be good friends with the Duchess of Kent (before she got married)

That bloke of the gadget show said hello and made a fuss of my dog a couple of weeks back as we passed him in Hagley

Bregante

Ace story WCA.

I’ve told this one a number of times on here but when I was growing up my parents had a pub in Heywood, greater Manchester. Julie Goodyear (Bet Lynch off of Corrie) has been a family friend for many years and would pull pints behind the bar at Christmas. Now and again she’d spot me walking home from school when on her way home from filming and she’d stop in her MG in front of all my mates and give me a lift.

joepose
    Free Member

Had a wee alongside Robbie Williams in the Nags Head in Monmouth once!

Bregante

That bloke of the gadget show said hello and made a fuss of my dog a couple of weeks back as we passed him in Hagley

The bald one?

We sat by him on Braunton beach a couple of years back.

brooess
    Free Member

One which excites other people more than me is I went to school with Gary Barlow…
    More interesting, if a bit tenuous, is the local I drank in from aged 17 until the landlady sold it a couple of years ago was owned by James Bond’s (Daniel Craig) stepmum
    When I jumped out of planes I knew the stuntman who played Halle Berry when she got out of the back of a Hercules on those one-man rocket things in Die Another Day. As a middle-aged ex Para he wasn’t a lookalike 🙂

siwhite
    Free Member

My Border Terrier sniffed David Walliams’ Border Terrier’s arse on Primrose Hill on Christmas Day just gone. Tenuous?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I ‘sort of’ knew a famous safe cracker who did some work for a few well known naughty people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Reynolds_%28business%29

I was his ‘boss’ for a few months. 😉

Houns

Nah the grey haired one

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I have had lunch with Edwina Curry, and also had her hands around my waist, she apparently thought I looked slim in my Victorian style costume. This was of course many years ago when not only was I lot slimmer, but also she was our local MP.
    Oh, and Joanna Rowsell has leaned on my bicycle 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

I sat next to Jack Charlton in the pub a while back.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I used to know the actor Ross Mcall quite well when he was a teenager in Kent. My mates used to take the mick out of him for acting in the local plays. I like to think he had the last laugh a few years later when he was shacked up with Jennifer love Hewitt and most of them were behind bars.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My Dad was mates with Heinz Wolf.

NZCol

I live next door to half of the proclaimers.

ojom
    Free Member

I kinda know me and I’m kinda a big deal.

Also a second cousin to Paul Di Resta.

ojom
    Free Member

Oh and I know TJ.

andytherocketeer

colleague’s sister is millie in This Life

jools holland used to get my dad to drive him up to town every so often

nothing beats the wheelchair dance though

CountZero

I’ve got to know Cerys Matthews fairly well over the years, even played percussion during a song last time she played Bath.

[/url] image by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

Crap photo, but I didn’t take it, obviously!
    I know Sarah and Richard who make up Paper Aeroplanes quite well, too, but they’re hardly famous, so don’t count.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

brooess – Member
    More interesting, if a bit tenuous, is the local I drank in from aged 17 until the landlady sold it a couple of years ago was owned by James Bond’s (Daniel Craig) stepmum

Small world. We sold our flat in Stratton Audley Manor to her and Tim.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My wife used to go out with David Essex.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bXweHQ]David Essex[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

I sat next to Jack Charlton in the pub a while back.

I shouted ‘now Jack, how ya gannin on’ to him out of a car window in Altea. He had a house there.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I know Sylvain Guintoli the current world super bike champion. He lives next door to my Aunty and is a customer at my shop. Top bloke.

justatheory
    Free Member

I’m mates with Vini Reilly but he’s not that famous really. I’ve got a hairdresser mate who does all the big fashion shows and magazine covers, he’s not famous either but he’s taken me to parties with very famous people present.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not really, I was in school with Dame Tanni Grey-Thomson, but she was in 6th form when I first went.

My wife’s cousin is Meat Loaf’s assistant / tour manager / link to the outside world.

Oh and when I was very young my two best mates were twins, naughty boys as teenagers, but okay now, their younger brother was worse – joy riding, armed robbery drugs etc but the youngest was the very worst – he was in a boy band – they lost out to Girls Allowed in the final of whatever programme they started out on.

project
    Free Member

fitted some doors for a lady writter of the radio 4 show, “The Archers”

Met a bloke on a bike who went onto set up a bike magazine after leaving teaching,

Fitted a lock for one of the cast of Brookside.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Also a second cousin to Paul Di Resta.

Is your surname Franchitti?

carbonfiend
    Free Member

@justatheory – mates with Vini Reilly -wow :-))

TheFlyingOx

When I was a wee lad in Sheffield, working as a butcher’s boy, I used to deliver a roasting joint to Joe Cocker’s mum every Saturday.

My wife’s cousin is David Guetta’s manager. She occasionally uses this fact to blag tickets to gigs. I imagine it goes down something like this:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEfiG63zv1g[/video]

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

I once sat next to Charles March over lunch. Jenson Button was on the table behind us, and Damon Hill to our left, he was dinning with Leo Sayer.

I also once saw Simon Weston ion the street, and stood next to Sandra Bullock.

I also sold a pipe to someone from the boomtown rats last month.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I’ve met quite a few famous bods during my time in Music industry, probably most famous was Charlie Watts but also been to mercury music awards twice seen met Amy Whinehouse & did lots of stuff with Mark Ronson. Met a good few high profile rappers & hip hop legends, some were real cool other total dicks.

donald
    Free Member

Who did you shag jambourgie?

Mintman
    Free Member

I met James May while he was filming for Top Gear. Prior to filming I chose which shirt he should wear.

ratherbeintobago

One of my wife’s uni colleagues is married to that Roger Hammond, but I’m not sure if he counts as famous. Nice chap, incidentally.

Northwind

wanmankylung – Member

Hmmm where to start. Jimmy Savile.

Well then, according to Jivehoneyjive you must know EVERYONE since you’re in the cabal.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Nice edit Flying Ox!

andy8442
    Free Member

I work in the “media” and have worked with and got to know lots of “famous people” over the years, and can honestly say the vast majority are tossers. But it seems thats just how the world works in this field. You can get the odd actor that is a genuinely nice person and has risen to the top by ability alone, but the rest…….bunch of (insert the rudest word)!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Famous people you (sort of) know’ is closed to new replies.