Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Family weekend in London; anything a cyclist should see/do?
  • Bream
    Free Member

So, the whole clan has been invited to a long weekend in London at the end of March to celebrate Mormor’s 70th birthday. So the family is busy finding things to see do with 9 Grandchildren from 4 to 18.

But that aside, as a bike head, is there something I should be planning to see/do whilst there? Should I rent a bike in Richmond Park or visit the Rapha shop etc?

Any London locals have any nice ideas?

aP
    Free Member

Broadly where will you be staying, and how much time do you have?

globalti
    Free Member

When I lived in that London one of the most enjoyable things I ever did was to visit the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood.

If you don’t mind mixing it with towerists there’s Madame Tussauds, the Planetarium, the London Dungeon and the London Eye as well as red bus tours, which are a great way of seeing everything.

nickjb
    Free Member

The Olympic park is nice. You can wander into the velodrome and there is usually some kind of session on to watch. Also the adventure playground is amazing if you have kids in tow. All free too which is good for london

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Tussauds is a rip off, the London Dungeon for excitable teenagers only.

The eye is ok, but there is a better and free view from the 10th floor of the new Tate extension – or the walkie-talkie viewing gallery ( but you need to book for that)

But you aren’t after that info – are you? Bike specific.

I,d be tempted to hire a bike and ride it along the Hampton Court – Richmond stretch

zippykona

Kingston to Richmond river trip is my favourite london (ish) day out.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

bike polo with the single speeds hipsters , London fields obvs

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

visit the Rapha shop etc

9 Grandchildren from 4 to 18

I’m sure they would love to go to a boring shop…

go to a pie and mash shop and talk cockneeee

benp1

London’s quite big, can you be more specific about where you’ll be and how much time you’ll have?

Are you hoping to sneak off or do it with others?

Something as basic as a boris bike tour of some nice bits of London could be a winner for example

There are lots of shops but it’s probably only worth a trip if you’re passing

Also, look at the Brompton hire scheme, a day will cost you a fiver and they are a fantastic way of getting around London

Bream
    Free Member

Our hotel is on the South side of Hyde Park, opposite the National History Museum. Will be with my kids mainly but could get a bit of ‘own time’ if there was something worth doing/seeing/riding etc.

Think I’ll go for a run around Hyde Park and that as so close.

Bream
    Free Member

BTW; the pie shop sound very tempting; don’t do proper pies in Sweden 😮

benp1

If you’re doing Hyde Park you should try and tag on St James Park and Kensington Gardens. Doing that bike won’t take long but it’s a lovely place. And mostly traffic free so fine with the kids

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/santander-cycles/leisure-routes?intcmp=2327

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/santander-cycles/leisure-routes/sporting-sights?intcmp=16487

votchy
    Free Member

As its a ‘family’ gathering, how about forgetting the bike for 2 days and enjoy the family time? Just a thought… 😀

qwerty
    Free Member

On The Cut, SE1.

I always found Velorution on Great Portland Street, W1 an interesting shop to wander round, not your mainstream bike shop.

Bream
    Free Member

votchy, you do realise that the ‘bike’ is part of the family 😉

lunge

The Olympic Park is worth a visit, just have a wander through it, see the velodrome (fast and steep) and generally soak in the atmosphere, it’s awesome. Plan it well and you could get a taster session either on the track or on the BMX track.

Look Mum, No Hands is a bit hipster but is actually a nice cafe, albeit in the wrong part of London for you.

Condor is “just” a bike shop, but it’s a bloody good one and I always try and pop in when I’m in town and try not to spend too much money.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you get some alone time, get a Boris bike and ride around the back streets of the City, Marylebone or Southwark. Or all of them. And more. The back streets are rammed with cool stuff.

senorj

Time trial Regent’s Park on a hire bike.
    Olympic park.( + a ride north on the river lea canal towpath maybe.)
    Small kids,4-10 ish love kidzania ,Westfield in Shepherd’s Bush ,if you do have to endure a “shopping” trip.Not sure if there’s one over in Stratford though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t go to Westfield. It’s identical to everywhere else.

The Museum of London is good for kids and grownups, and free.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Bring pollution masks.

Andy_B

If you happen to be around on the last Friday of the month then friday lates at the V&A can be very good. They can be terrible but if that’s the case just wander through the the shop to get to the courtyard which is a nice little spot.

TiRed

visit the Rapha shop

It’s really not worth it. Sale prices online are better, and tea is £3 a pop!

Herne Hill velodrome, Olympic velodrome has a nice coffee shop, and Richmond Park for bike hire and then ride the most popular Strava segment. Mosquito Bikes for some Islington bling bikes, but shops and kids won’t mix.

To be honest, I’d just go and see the dinosaurs in the Nat Hist Museum, then run around Hyde Park.

EDIT: Since you are staying in South Kensington, I can recommend Da Pierino’s italian restaurant for decent pizza

mossimus
    Free Member

The Olympic Park is worth a visit, just have a wander through it, see the velodrome (fast and steep) and generally soak in the atmosphere,

Whilst this is a splendid idea it is worth checkng that West Ham are not playing at ‘home’ otherwise there may be a little more atmosphere than you may find comfortable.

Bream
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies and ideas; most of them being useful 😆

bensales
    Free Member

Other thing with the Olympic park is the swimming pool. It’s a normal pool open to the public now, and it’s awesome to swim in. Remarkably cheap as well. Love swimming there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Family weekend in London; anything a cyclist should see/do?’ is closed to new replies.