Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Family trails around NW Glasgow
  • jukeboxs
    Free Member

Hi folks –

My family (wife and 2 daughters aged 8 and 12) and I have at last all got mountain bikes and we would like to start going for family rides at the weekends. We are based in NW Glasgow (in Bearsden). Just wondering what your suggestions would be for easy(ish) mountain bike trails around this area? I had a look at SevenStaines which looks lovely, but they are 2+ hours drive, so something a little closer would be nicer.

We tried Mugdock Country Park the other weekend, which we all enjoyed, despite the pouring rain.

Thanks for your time.

Andrew.

lambbhoona
    Free Member

Not much to beat Mugdock for local riding tbh without getting in the car – you might want to try Pollock park for a quick run round the bike trails (they are not hugely exiting mind you). You could even make use of the national cycle network and cycle there and back.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Quite a few options about. Mugdock has so much apart from the obvious routes at the visitor’s centre. Over the road and through the moors and trees there is plenty of riding for all abilities. You can also link up to the west highland way, and go up to Carbeth, Dumgoyne and Drymen.

There is also tracks in Dougalston, the Allander walkway (to link up to the Kelvin)

There is also the Pipe Track from Blanefield via Dumgoyne to Killearn, the old railway from Strathblane to Lennoxtown, and on to Kirkintilloch where you can join the canal back to Bearsden (Westerton)

Other options are Kelvin cycle path to Glasgow, link up with the north clyde route out to Clydebank and back via the canal.

For more adventurous stuff there is always Carron Valley, loads of trails behind Loch Ard, and Aberfoyle.

legend
    Free Member

Mugdock is the obvious choice really, plenty to be found up there. Aberfoyle’s got plenty riding too (starting from the David Marshall lodge)

From Bearsden, Glentress is about 1.5hours away so is the nearest of the Staines, and you’d likely have a great time there! Carron Valley is worth a look too. Bit of a short loop but you’ll have fun doing it (and then be a bit bored of it a couple of visits later)

2tyred

There’s good waymarked family riding at Loch Ard, just past Aberfoyle (keep going straight through Aberfoyle towards Stronachlachar) about a half hour drive from Bearsden. Routes of different length to choose from, beautiful scenery and good cake/ice cream options in Aberfoyle.

BoardinBob

South of the city but Whitelees Windfarm is also ok for family cycling. It’s all wide open fire road type stuff but there’s something like 80km of trails in there and it’s reasonably flat. Easily reached by car and a nice visitor centre for post ride coffee and cake.

ritchiearmstrong
    Free Member

Spoilt for choice in that neck of the woods. For a family outing I’d recommend Aberfoyle, Loch Ard or the forest drive areas. Carron Valley is also worth a visit, they have mtb trails which aren’t every ones cup of tea and maybe not suitable for a family out especially if your just getting into cycling. When I lived down there there was talk of a new multi-purpose trail being built on the south bank of the loch I’m not sure if this went ahead, if it did it would be a wonderful scenic track.
    Purchase an OS and go exploring there lots in that area.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Family trails around NW Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.